Galaxy S3 Charging slow and draining fast

jescal

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I know this question has been asked to death but I have yet to find a case like mine. I have had my S3 for a 2 years and my step mom had it for 3 years before that. It has been an awesome little phone and even with all its issues I still think it's a better phone than any replacement I could afford right now. About 3 months ago I started having trouble with my power button sticking. It eventually got so bad that I had to let the screen timeout because if I pressed the power button it would stick and get stuck in a reboot loop. This issue last a couple of weeks and eventually seemed to clear itself up. Then it started charging ridiculously slow and draining super fast, but only on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I also began having trouble with chargers at this time. I went from being able to use any charger or cable to only being able to use certain ones. If I plug others (that have previously worked fine and work fine on other devices) in it will start and stop charging. After about a month of this and being ready to toss the phone. it all got better. For the past month I have had no problems out of the phone other than being limited on what charger I can use. Now all of a sudden today we are back to the same problem. Overnight my phone only charged to 56%. By the time I got to work and hour later it was at 22%. I plugged it in to charge and at lunch it was up to 26%. I took it with me to lunch but did not use it. When I arrived back an hour later it was at 10%. It has been plugged in since then and is only now at 16%. At first I thought it was a hardware issue but hardware doesn't pick and choose when to malfunction does it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the battery 5 years old? If so, it might be failing. Does this happen with a new battery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is your daughter's battery? Ideally, it'd be nice to see what happens with a new battery.

Also check to make sure the microUSB port is clear of debris. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts.

For the battery drain, it would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:
1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
With it being that old, the first thing I'd do is replace the battery. Even if that's not the problem, it's due for one anyway. It's one of those things that should be done anyway, is fairly cheap, so do it and see what happens. When batteries go bad, they can cause some wonky issues.