Galaxy S3 or keep GNex?

schrack3000

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the S III as well. Gonna use it for a couple weeks then either keep it and give my wife my Nexus, or go back to the Nexus and give her the S III. The S III is going to have to be spectacular for me to keep it as my phone because I absolutely love my Nexus.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i don't see the GSIII as such a huge jump forward that you should leave a GNex device for it. you now that your nexus will be one of the first devices to get Jellybean, and you already have raw android 4.0 out of the box. the rest is just flavoring. i'd stick with the GNex, but that's just me.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
don't get me wrong I dont want to get rid of the nexus but the reception on this thing is just painful and is getting to the point of almost unusable

Reactions: danielcee3

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If TW is that big of an issue, just download Apex or Nova.

I mean, it IS a stock experience, but with more added features that, let's be honest, should've been added to the Android OS in the first place ;-). (Gestures, option to rearrange/delete homescreens, scrolling dock, option to delete dock, etc. - just to name a few.)

hh72385

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I dont get where all these reception issues are coming from. I bought my nexus a week ago and have had no issues at all. I came from a rezound and my nexus has about the same to almost better recepion and from what I hear the rezound has great reception.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont get where all these reception issues are coming from. I bought my nexus a week ago and have had no issues at all. I came from a rezound and my nexus has about the same to almost better recepion and from what I hear the rezound has great reception.

That's because you bought your nexus a week ago. I bought mine the day it came out and it was horrible. I'm on my third and finally got a good one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
If TW is that big of an issue, just download Apex or Nova.

I mean, it IS a stock experience, but with more added features that, let's be honest, should've been added to the Android OS in the first place ;-). (Gestures, option to rearrange/delete homescreens, scrolling dock, option to delete dock, etc. - just to name a few.)

That is true, but touchwiz is a lot more than just a launcher. Samsung went far enough to pretty much destroy the holo theme and the beauty of stock android. For example the people and phone app look ugly on touchwiz, while they look beautiful in stock ics.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I dunno. That's what I am trying to figure out. Is there a resource to learn about Touchwiz? Never had it before on any phone.

I'd recommend you stop in to a store and play with one. I know I sure wasn't a fan of touch whiz after I did that. For your kid, that's one thing. If it can text and get on Facebook, you've won most the battle. For you, it may be another story. You sound pretty informed, or you wouldn't even be in a forum like this. Keep in mind too, that once google releases updates to Android, Samsung then has to make changes to touch whiz so that the updates can be pushed to your phone. So, if Samsung decides to wait a while, you're stuck with an older version of Android while you wait for them to get around to it.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
If your comfortable with rooting and flashing Roms you can actually get the entire touch wiz ui on your galaxy nexus. You flash Aokp and just follow this link for instructions.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250: How to enjoy TouchWiz UX look and feel on your phone

As far as switching goes I have had three Samsung phones the S3 will still have poor reception, or some other issues that won't get fixed until next year. Samsung takes forever to fix anything. Samsung also has the only phones on Verizon with issues that actually affect calls like the mic muting mid call or loud popping noises on calls, not to mention blu tooth problems or gps problems. I would wait for reviews before you jump on the S3.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
honestly I think I will throw the ICS+ launcher over touchwiz.
Dont get me wrong I LOVE my gnex but I just can not take the lack of reception it has and over the past few weeks it has gotten to the point that the phone is almost unusable.
This phone will almost never sent a picture message while on wifi so I have to shut wifi off when I want to send one, ya a bit of a pain but I do it, now my phone is not connecting when off of wifi, I just get grey bars, for a while I could toggle airplane more and be fine but more recently I have had to reboot the phone and even then it doesnt always work.

That is a bit much for me sadly :'(

Sounds like you may have a bad handset. I honestly believe that the date of build on Gnex has an impact on how well the hardware works.

naiveshopper

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Why is everyone so sure that galaxy S3 on Verizon will be flawless? Before GNex was released, it did not have any problems. The issues a few had surfaced after release LOL... The same can happen with S3 when they release on verizon.. Just my 2c.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I might be in the minority but I bought my GN the day it was released and haven't had any reception issues. When the new radios were released by Google, I noticed more consistent full bars on 3G/4G in the same areas of town. I definitely agree that there is no guarantee the SGS3 will be flawless or even available on the date speculated online.

Try out the SGS3 for a few days in the store and then make your decision. Can't go wrong either way.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
keep the gnex. i dont know how old your daughter is. but there is always that chance she needs to call and wont be able to because she doesnt have good signal. the gnex is a great phone. you really cant compare the two phones.. ones stock the other is touch wiz. stock to me is always better. i dont like skins. and your daughter will like the s3 more than the nexus. but its all about her having good signal over your likes of the phone

shahm0nsterr#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd get the S3. It looks absolutely amazing! It improves on all of the things we complain about on the Nexus. (signal, battery, camera, screen)
The only thing is, it does run the new TouchWiz. But it looks like many reviewers are enjoying the new customization and features that Samsung has added into TouchWiz.

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like most are keeping their GNex. I have had no issues with mine to speak of, so I will be keeping my GNex as well and saving my upgrade for something in the future.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a gnex and I ordered an S3. When you can't decide just have both.:) I was so happy to finally get a gnex. I thought for sure I wasn't going to get another phone unless its a nexus (or even back to an iphone) but the battery life is crap in the gnex. I have 3 stock batteries and 1 2100 battery. I think its stupid to have to rely on having other batteries.

And anyone who says there battery last 20hrs with 30% still left, trying actually using the phone not leaving it on idle.

Two things I will hate about the S3 though. Touch Wiz (I love stock) and updates (which is why im keeping my gnex).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the S3. It looks absolutely amazing! It improves on all of the things we complain about on the Nexus. (signal, battery, camera, screen)

Actually, the screen is almost identical in size and same technology. The camera is a nice upgrade as well. If I were to justify buying one, I would say that the processing power is a big plus, along with the 2gb of RAM. Personally, I want quad core and better screen technology to justify an upgrade, along with the other updates on this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The S3 will be a fantastic phone but I love the GNEX form better and I've had very little issues with it.

I don't see a compelling reason to change and I don't like the physical button it has.

I'm going to have to buy an S3 anyway (I make cell cases) but I imagine I won't even activate it and just sell it in a month.

If the reviews are terrific about the S3 then I can sell the GNEX instead.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1