Galaxy S3: Your Internet connection is unstable.

Melissa LaNinfa

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Your Internet connection is unstable.

Thank you, Dawghowse!!!!!!! It worked for me, too. I even tried a factory reset after spending 2 hours on the phone with Verizon Tech support last weekend. My phone would not make calls and I was getting the "Unfortunately, contacts has failed" error message. That has gone away after the factory reset, but I still had to reinstall all my apps and redo all my settings. It was a major pain in the ***!! My husband is having the same problems. I wish they'd test their code better before distributing the updates. Why do I pay so much $$ for cell service????? I am asking myself the same thing. We are going non-contract when our contract is up!:-*

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I still had to reinstall all my apps and redo all my settings. It was a major pain in the ***!
It's normal to have to set up the phone again after a Factory Reset - here're some things you can do/use ahead of time to make it less time consuming to recover:

Samsung Kies: v3 allows you to backup your contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos (if stored on the internal memory), call logs, (some) TouchWiz settings and apps (I'm not sure about app data)

Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos - allows you to automatically backup your pictures/videos to the cloud (regardless of whether you save them on the internal memory or SD card; 5GB free)

Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup - allows you to backup (most) apps AND app data to an SD card or Google Drive (or other cloud solutions; free, but cloud use requires the paid version)

Of course you can use Dropbox or other cloud solutions to automatically backup your pictures/videos.

Between the various solutions mentioned it should take you no more than an hour or two to restore your phone (or replacement device) to a usable state. If you throw in a 3rd party launcher you can even restore your Home screen layout.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Corvidious

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I tried every suggestion here short of a full reset, and a couple from other threads (e.g., falling back on TKIP authentication), but the problem only went away when I replaced my router--one or another old WRT54GL (running DD-WRT or Tomato) for a new, dual-band ASUS.

Well, it would be nice if Samsung would evolve their Wi-Fi toward being more robust and inclusive rather than the opposite, but it's encouraging that this may not be an insoluble bug in the OS or failing hardware.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

for a new, dual-band ASUS
It's too bad the phone doesn't aggregate the dual-band capability - instead, you can pick either the 2.4GHz SSID or the 5GHz SSID.

Same issue with the new AC routers - unless you also purchase new USB dongles, you can't actually take advantage of the new capabilities.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I tried every suggestion here short of a full reset, and a couple from other threads (e.g., falling back on TKIP authentication), but the problem only went away when I replaced my router--one or another old WRT54GL (running DD-WRT or Tomato) for a new, dual-band ASUS.

Well, it would be nice if Samsung would evolve their Wi-Fi toward being more robust and inclusive rather than the opposite, but it's encouraging that this may not be an insoluble bug in the OS or failing hardware.

I have nice new dual-band Netgear router as well as a newer Asus router. Both of these have excellent wireless functionality, but using these routers didn't prevent getting this message. What prevented getting it was simply checking "don't show this message again". Just so that people don't think that getting a new router will get rid of this message. If you know that your wifi works, just make sure that you take the "don't show this message again" route for this stupid message, and call it a day.

Corvidious

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Actually, my problems didn't end with this message but had graduated to the phone shutting down the connection frequently. The message then was "Network disabled because the Internet connection is too slow." Data rates tended to plummet before that happened. But now they're holding stable. So attention to the other end of the connection might help some people with older routers.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Very unfortunate but i too had to do a wipe and reset to rid of all the unwanted messages that came with 4.3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Greg Spain

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, Eion, this isn't an option on my phone; if you get "There was a network error", all you can do is click on OK...

Scroll down in the message box and put a check in the don't show again box. You don't have to click ok only. It's just some lame message proba ly to get people to buy something they dont need. Oh didn't realise you were off topic of the thread. In that case I wont delete this but instead say go start another thread relavent to your issue.

madmattz76

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I'll repost the fix I found this has worked for my S3 it has also worked on a couple of my friends phones.

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.
This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

-dawghowse

Thank you very much ! I too created an account just to reply. This network issue just started for me. Your method thus far has resolved it.

Android Fixer 3

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So, why am I getting this error message everytime I connect to any wifi. Home, work, friends house, it doesn't matter.
It's random when the error message appears.
Anyone have a clue?
Reply From Android Fixer 3 I having this problem to I fixed it by resting the Samsung galaxy s3 or any device similar to it after you do that you can go on settings And press Wifi aslo then press your work home school network Example my network is called Sky□□□□□ Forget it and try it againas you do that it will generally go the message Thanks for listening if this does not work reply Notmystuff thanks the subject are Resting your phone=Your phone needs a rest from putting messaging Network meand your phone reshes No 1 post

Dangorin1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Static ip address fixed it for me on my note 3 running 4.3. Use ip address that won't conflict with other devices on your network by setting last digit of ip in 60 to 80 range. Example xxx.xxx.xxx.60 where xxx is same as what dhcp assigned. On mine I set it to 192.168.0.66

Last edited:

Missy Mason

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, the problem was back before the end of that day. Factory reset did not fix it either. Very frustrated at this point............

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, the problem was back before the end of that day. Factory reset did not fix it either. Very frustrated at this point............

Are you having any problems with your WiFi? If not, next time you see the message, bring up the message itself and just tick the "don't show this message anymore" box instead of worrying about it. You'll never see the message again, and if it isn't giving you useful information you don't need to see it. I did that, and I don't see the message any more (of course), and my WiFi here at home is just fine. I think that this is a case of having the conditions that cause this message to be generated just a little too tightly wound, so that if your WiFi drops a little for a second (which WiFi does, as a matter of course), you get this message.

As long as your WiFi is working for you, you don't need to be seeing this message *smile*.

robbie303

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

Tried the reset, new kitkat android firmware and also the clear cache. Did only work for a few days.
What also works for a short time is setting the phone on a fixed ip. Then the internet will remain stable for a few days, and then the error will return again.

The Samsung S4 (and probably more models) probably have a problem with dual band routers. The phone connects to the wifi network, but still can not get data from it. Turning off the 5Ghz band (so the router only works at 2Ghz), also solved the problem.... for a few days....

So, I threw away my TP-link modem and bought the Asus RT-AC68A. The problem was away for a few days, but after that, the error came back.
I have the same problem on 2 phone's (both are Samsung S4), so it can not be that 1 phone is defect.
It simply must be some design defect in the S4.
Nothing that I can solve.

Samsung should have solved this issue, it has been there for long time now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky