Galaxy S4 GPE - noob questions

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
So my new S4 GPE arrives in 48 hours and I cannot wait to start tinkering, (currently on iphone 5). I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Extreme microSDHC card as well. How can I use the SanDisk card? Can I install apps to the card? I assume/hope that I can store pictures/videos/music on the card as well?

What is a launcher?

I'd like to be able to have email, SMS, Calendar, missed call/voicemail notifications directly on my lockscreen as I do now with my iphone. Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish this?

Thanks.:D

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So my new S4 GPE arrives in 48 hours and I cannot wait to start tinkering, (currently on iphone 5). I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Extreme microSDHC card as well. How can I use the SanDisk card? Can I install apps to the card? I assume/hope that I can store pictures/videos/music on the card as well?

What is a launcher?

I'd like to be able to have email, SMS, Calendar, missed call/voicemail notifications directly on my lockscreen as I do now with my iphone. Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish this?

Apps to the SD card are dependant on the developer if they can be moved and how much. Pictures, music, and videos are fine to store on your card. If you are a big shutterbug, I would connect to something like Dropbox and have auto uploading of photos. That way, there is a backup of your pictures.

A launcher is a different User Interface. It is how you interact with the OS. Different launchers can offer more customizing than stock. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html
I would highly suggest getting used to the new OS before tinkering with launchers. Give it a week, then put something like Nova on.

At bare minimum, you will have notification icons in the status bar, and the notification shade can be pulled down while in the lock screen. Notifications on the lockscreen are kind of hit and miss, as the last I knew that detail was under litigation.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

What is a launcher?

Yes, you can store pictures/videos and music on the SD card. Golfdriver97 answered everything else :)

Posted via Android Central App

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Great info and advice, thank you. Lockscreen notifications will be a dealbreaker for me.
Apps to the SD card are dependant on the developer if they can be moved and how much. Pictures, music, and videos are fine to store on your card. If you are a big shutterbug, I would connect to something like Dropbox and have auto uploading of photos. That way, there is a backup of your pictures.

A launcher is a different User Interface. It is how you interact with the OS. Different launchers can offer more customizing than stock. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html
I would highly suggest getting used to the new OS before tinkering with launchers. Give it a week, then put something like Nova on.

At bare minimum, you will have notification icons in the status bar, and the notification shade can be pulled down while in the lock screen. Notifications on the lockscreen are kind of hit and miss, as the last I knew that detail was under litigation.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok good, thanks for your reply. Is there a setting that I'll need to edit in order to accomplish this?

Only for the pictures and videos. Go to your camera > settings > storage and change it to SD card.
You can load the music onto your SD card if you put it in your PC, might be able to get music from iTunes

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Musically, I'm all in with Google Play Music. GREAT info on the SD card, thanks again.
Only for the pictures and videos. Go to your camera > settings > storage and change it to SD card.
You can load the music onto your SD card if you put it in your PC, might be able to get music from iTunes

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, np, thanks for your time & effort.
Sorry...getting tired, and I missed that part. I am not sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc