Galaxy S4 -- tons of features to turn off

astralis

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that finds most of the features on the S4 as frivolous?

Remote control, eye scan and air, and gestures rarely work correctly and are more complicated than they're worth.

I turn off more features on this phone than the features I use.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was the same way with my Note 2. Not bashing the S4, because it's a great device, but I chose the HTC One due to the featureset. They're more features I'd use than the S4. Samsung execs must sit in a board room and be like [Exec 1] "Hey, what can we make the software engineers design to throw into the phone?!" [Exec 2] "I KNOW!!! HOW ABOUT MAKING PEOPLE WAVE THEIR ARMS AROUND TO USE THE PHONE!!!" [Exec 1] "BONUSES FOR EVERYONE! ($100 bills rain from the ceiling.)"

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then, this was not the phone for you, now was it? I personally DO use most of the features and, in my case, they work quite nicely. Of course, I can also read the manuals and warnings instead of just clicking 'next' to every single prompt, so I know that Eye Tracking will not work in low-light conditions or when I'm wearing glasses with too much glare.

I would love more apps to take advantage of the Air Gestures than the current handful, but in those apps that do support it, I find them useful (to this day I still find myself absentmindedly trying to wave a page away in front of my iPad or trying to see a quick preview of Flipboard headlines by hovering over the screen).

Remote control I use the most, probably. I've set up all my rooms in the phone and now don't have to worry about finding the remote; it's always with me. The one feature I probably use the least, but I do use sometimes, is the dual camera, or as I like to call it, the "Forever Alone" mode.

Not every phone is for everyone but that doesn't mean that their features are meant to be turned off. I used to have a Note 2 and, ultimately, I found that the stylus wasn't for me, but some people now can't live without it. It's all about different tastes, and that's why I'm an Android fan. If I wanted the same for everyone and restricted to someone else's choices, I'd have gotten an iPhone.

lv003544

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yeah. I agree. I was a blackberry loyalist until I got the S4 recently. When people asked me why I stayed with BB so long I told them that it did what was necessary without all the bells and whistles. Stilling trying to figure out if I made the right decision. Alot of the stuff that you mentioned is just annoying when its on.

astralis

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the S4 for the screen size, like I had the S3. I never used many of the features, and I seem to be using even fewer with the S4 despite it being loaded with them.

Faloogs

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I too use the majority of the s4 features which work quite well for me.

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome Samsung Galaxy s4

10 Gauge

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I really enjoy the special features on the S4 as they do work quite well and are handy. I do however keep them turned off just to save battery life as all of the tracking abilities make use of the front facing camera which really strains the battery.

If I had a way to keep my phone close to a charged during my shift I would certainly consider turning the features back on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
What I like in the One is the internet pass through (or reverse tethering if you want).
On S4 I am sure I would like the weather sensors as I love to know temps and humidity

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that finds most of the features on the S4 as frivolous?

Remote control, eye scan and air, and gestures rarely work correctly and are more complicated than they're worth.

I turn off more features on this phone than the features I use.

As my first smartphone, I guess the GS4 is just too smart for me, as I too have these features noted above OFF.
Many will only work on specific apps and not the ones I use, so no need.
But I do like the GS4 and have no plans on switching.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I had to turn most of my features off because they drain battery. I turn them on when necessary (except for Smart Stay because of my glasses) but mostly I keep it turned off.

Posted via Android Central App

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been turning off most features on most of my phones for years. They can be annoying and battery draining and if I tend not to use something, I realize I don't need it. I can appreciate a large screen but I really can do without all the other "improvements" throughout the years of Android. I'm waiting for someone to come up with "simplicity done to perfection".

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I love the stupid features on this phone :) I had the HTC One and traded it for the s4. The month or so with the One and I missed Samsung. The One was an awesome phone...but I like being a magician haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i'd rather have features available to me that I can choose to use or turn off rather than no available features. I know it's fun and makes some of us feel cool to call them "gimmicks", but at least the choice is there for US to make. As long as these features don't screw up the other functions of the phone, you will not hear me complaining about freedom of choice. Otherwise i'd have an iPhone 5 in my pocket.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
thing is that you cant turn um off most of um b/c they're part of the TW infrastructure and if turned off can destabilize the OS.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I love all the silly things Samsung have done. I'm a mechanic by trade so I my last iPhone used to be very oily from having to take calls and reply to texts. Waving my hands about and shouting at my S4 is brilliant! Plus the eye/head scrolling is handy too (but rarely!)