Galaxy S4: Unlocking when on a call?

robrandon

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
So, I can't seem to find an answer to this. Most posts seem to say it is the proximity sensor, but I don't think that is it. Anyway......

I have a Galaxy S4. I use the pattern screen lock. If the phone is locked when I receive an incoming call, I can answer it by swiping. However, the phone remains locked. I have no way to switch it to speaker phone, look up a contact, or even hang up. The solution for hanging up calls is to set the power button on the side to hang up calls, but that doesn't really solve the overall problem.

The reason I don't think this is the proximity sensor is because if I have the phone unlocked when placing or receiving calls, it blanks out and turns back on properly. Also, when receiving an incoming call when the phone is locked, I don't even have to put it up to my ear for the screen to blank. I can just leave it on the table/desk.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlocking when on a call?

You can use the air gestures or voice control, it will always turn on speaker to answer the call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

robrandon

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unlocking when on a call?

Hi Rashawn29,

Thanks for your reply. The problem isn't answering the call. The problem is getting the phone to unlock when on a call that was answered with the phone already locked.

Thanks,
Rob

jmo_13

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I too have this problem. Have searched google and everyone says the proximity but it's not. It's only an issue when RECEIVING a call. Heeeelp!

jay_dubb2k5

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is locked it's not supposed to unlock when answering a call. If your phone is lost or stolen it would allow whoever finds it to also unlock it when you receive a call.

Posted via Android Central App

jmo_13

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply and thats understood. When receiving a call when the phone is locked & after answering, if you press the home button before the screen auto locks, it takes you to the lock screen. But if the screen locks during the call and you press the home button you should be prompted to the lock screen. So whats the difference?!! I dont understand samsungs brain!!!

mcckatiie

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, so did my boyfriend, but his has stopped doing it. He didn't do anything, it just quit being a problem. If anyone has a fix I would love to know.

I hadn't associated it with the phone being locked, I had just associated it with receiving calls. But the phone being locked makes much more sense.

BBrown127

May 28, 2014
Visit site
To unlock my phone I hit the home key while on a call and this let's me enter my password to unlock it.

Excellent. That's exactly what I needed; to get to my lock screen without having to leave my call. Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC