Galaxy S5: Wifi issues

espoir90

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I can connect my S5 to my work wifi now, after the modem was restarted. It gets disconnected at times, but it usually works after a restart. Not sure if it's due to the router or the phone. I called up Samsung to ask and they've asked me to bring the phone for a servicing. -.-

David Frost

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I had a 4s, ATIV SE, and my laptop all connected to my wifi over the last two weeks and everything was great. Then I got the S5 and I've had basically no functioning wifi. My router is not the problem as I'm writing this from my laptop right now and it's working fine. I'm showing excellent signal for wifi on my S5 but the connection keeps dropping and/or moving dreadfully slow. If I turn off wifi, it goes back to blazing fast with the LTE. I tried changing IP to static but it made no difference.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Get the WiFi Analyzer App and use it to determine the best channel to use of your 14 available. Then go the IP address for your router and change to the best channel.

WiFi Analyzer rates each channel by a star system and can go from 0 to 10 stars. Those are huge differences.

The S5 will have problems if the channel has a poor signal.

I see a couple Wifi Analyzer Apps, which one do you use? Who is the developer?

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

Karen Sok

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got the phone this week and I have the same issue. My router is in my room. I have verizon fios which should be fast. My laptop works fine. I have no clue what is going on. I need advice on what to do too. Thank you all. :mad:

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I was having issues up until recently. I recently took my router back to my provider and they gave me a new one, which actually was a newer router. The router actually runs dual 2.4GHz and 5.4GHz, and my phone can connect to the 5.4GHz most of the time in my home, if not I can switch back to the 2.4GHz. But overall my speeds are higher and more consistent on the 2.4, they push about 40mps which is good in my apparent building with all the other networks running. However on the 5GHz I have actually pulled speeds topping out at 92mps a few times, but consistently runs over 60mps at least. My internet is a 100mps max speed service.

Bizarro2014

May 22, 2014
Visit site
My S5 looks like it gets stuck between 4G and WiFi. It happens at home and just walking down the street. At that point it won't browse, gets hot, and sucks battery dry fast. My office seems OK, so it does not appear to be a consistent problem. Or maybe I'm just luckier than others and my problem is not ubiquitous.

Phones are supposed to move gracefully between mobile data and Wi-Fi and have been doing it for years. It will become even more important in the future if Hotspot 2.0 gets traction. It looks like the phone has a hysteresis problem between WiFi and mobile data. As someone pointed out elsewhere, it could occur where only weaker WiFi signals are present - which is much of the urbanized world, so it's a big problem.

I had a live chat with Samsung today and explained the situation. I told them to Google Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi problems to see what's going on. They came back and said they don't have any reports of problems. Yeah, right. Typical manufacturer answer. What they mean is they don't have any reports of customer problems that they care about fixing. Must be nice to be the king of smartphones. I have not tried wifi-fixer http://www.appsapk.com/wifi-fixer-app/ yet, but that's my next step. Any other ideas are welcome. Unless I figure it out the issue, I'll probably return the s5 in favor of an HTC One.

Paul Gibson4

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having wifi issues? The phone is super fast on the 4g, but when I go to wifi it constantly drops or will be throttled down to a snails pace. It intermittently works fine. Happens on my home wifi while all my other devices work fine, including an s2 and a nexus 7. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is having this issue so I know I'm not alone!

I have just had issues connecting to wifi and solved the problem by changing my routers network mode to MIXED using the setup page at 196.168.1.1 connection very fast and the router is ancient a Linksys WAG54G2.

Tried the wifi analyser just slowed my phone down and didn't really help.

Also tried adjusting DHCP to static in advanced wifi settings on the phone. Do this by first forgetting the connection and click advanced tab to edit settings. Remember to retype in the UP address of your router or it won't give you the option to press the reconnect button.

Also the option if you click settings on the wifi options page to direct link to a device as a work round. Follow instructions from your phone and this may work for some.

didn't try changing the security settings from WEP to WAS or WAP2. just remember to alter the password for all the devices you have connected to your router or this may give you a head ache with no devices connecting. Easy to go back and change by hooking a LAW able to router afterwards.

Hope you get it working like me and enjoy this great device!

icemike7

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I finally fixed the wifi problem on my S5! Just go to settings/power saving/ Power saving mode/ Restrict performance and uncheck all options. Good luck!!

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I finally fixed the wifi problem on my S5! Just go to settings/power saving/ Power saving mode/ Restrict performance and uncheck all options. Good luck!!

Good advice, but not everyone is using power saving modes. Mine is off, and had been of, still having some issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a problem with my phone not connecting to WiFi at all for a few days. I don't know what I did to it but after about a week it just kind of worked. Maybe it's just a small glitch? Hopefully it gets better and if not everyone seems to recommend wiping the phone :|

eric the beige

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
For some reason my S5 had picked up an IP address that was in use by another device on my network. I don't know if this is a router problem or an S5 problem. However by switching to static and picking a new IP address I was able to start using my home wifi again.

RogaDanar

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I are now both having wifi issues. We both have S5 actives from AT&T and when connected to any wifi (we have experienced this with 3 different wifi's) our wifi will not only cut out, but the 4G doesn't pickup the slack and we get disconnected from games (clash of clans, hay day) and sometimes web pages need to be reloaded. We both have the selection checked that supposedly offers seamless internet by using 4G/3G if wifi fails, but that obviously isn't working. We are still within our 14 day exchange period and it is starting to get to the point where I am considering exchanging them for M8's, but ONLY because of this wifi issue.

Is this likely a hardware issue that a phone replacement will alleviate (I am hesitant as BOTH of our phones show the symptoms, hers worse than mine as it will disconnect 5-6 times in a half hour) or is this a software issue that will be fixed somewhere down the road with an update?

Btw I have reset our phones, checked all of the wifi settings, as well as reset the modem, which is a very new model by Cisco through Comcast, and checked that we are on the best channel via wifi analyzer (although I still don't see how you can change channels, but the one we are on is good luckily).

Peter Holm1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I ended up doing a factory reset of my router. That cleared the entire user list as well as the router wifi settings & resulted in my router being able to communicate properly with my new S5's alongside my old devices. Its worth a shot if all else fails.

Cheers!

jools58

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I took someones advice below and changed the setting to static. What I don't know is how this will impact other connections whilst out and about. Was working absolutely fine until recently but have no idea what's changed.

dayal vandan

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
refer to
dayalvandan.blogspot.in/2014/08/how-to-fix-wifi-on-problem-for-samsung.html
the Concept of handling the problem is the same but owing to different platforms the way to addressed the problem but slightly differs. So search a way how to Hardreset your phone using some keys of ur phone and then have wififxr app then follow the same method as is given on the link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali