Galaxy S6 Running Android 7.0 WiFi Battery Drain

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've done a bit of experimenting with this and have found that being connected to any WiFi will cause excessive battery drain. If I go to bed with 60% it'll be dead before I even get up, roughly 5-6 hours. Battery life returns to it's normal self if I remain disconnected from WiFi and have WiFi turned off.

This only started happening last week. No system updates, no new apps, just app updates. However, nothing in Battery Usage viewer shows any of them consuming the power that is being lost.

I've tried all the possible fixes I've been able to find. They include, deleting cache partition from the recovery menu, checking that the usual "WiFi Scanning" and "Location Services" are off (which I've always had off), and resetting all connection related settings within the setting option.

None of this has managed to increase battery life at all. All I'm left with if re-installing the entire thing which, if I can, I'd like to avoid as I only did this about 2 months ago. If anyone has anything else I can try, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the wi-fi signal strong where you keep the phone overnight?

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the wi-fi signal strong where you keep the phone overnight?

Yes, solid. Nothing has changed, it just one day decided to start draining battery rapidly. Only thing I can think of is app updates messed with it, but if I re-install are the updated apps just going to cause it again?

Just hoping someone else maybe has some setting ideas I can try or has experienced this same issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the battery graph show the phone is being kept awake while the battery is being drained?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Different phones will have different battery menus, so I'm not entirely sure. What happens if you tap the graph? Or what options show up if you tap the menu button in the upper right?

I know that you said it only happens when wi-fi is on, but I also notice that the cell signal is pretty poor, so just in case, see if the drain correlates with poor cell signal.

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Different phones will have different battery menus, so I'm not entirely sure. What happens if you tap the graph? Or what options show up if you tap the menu button in the upper right?

I know that you said it only happens when wi-fi is on, but I also notice that the cell signal is pretty poor, so just in case, see if the drain correlates with poor cell signal.
Menu at the top right has 2 options:
Refresh
Optimize Battery Usage

I factory reset the phone and re-installed necessary apps on the weekend. This did not fix the issue, still has excessive battery drain when connected to WiFi. As I mentioned, battery drain is normal when WiFi is disabled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, it can be tough to figure out the culprit sometimes. Can you show us a list of those necessary apps you installed?

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, it can be tough to figure out the culprit sometimes. Can you show us a list of those necessary apps you installed?

I can put together a list, yes.

In the meantime, is there a performance logging app I can install to monitor usage? I tried a couple but they don't seem to be doing what I need. I just want to monitor usage and hopefully find out what is running when WiFi is on.

Haley Chris

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
You can Try installing AccuBattery Or GSam to see What's draining your Battery so much they both show Alot more Detailed Battery Graph

LiveTrash

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You can Try installing AccuBattery Or GSam to see What's draining your Battery so much they both show Alot more Detailed Battery Graph
Alright so I installed GSam and everything seems normal except for WiFi just using an obscene amount of power. It's never drained this fast when on WiFi, it just all of a sudden started one day. No apps are reporting heavy usage, the usage monitor isn't indicating that an unusual amount of data is being consumed. It's only showing the battery draining very quickly when WiFi is on.

I don't know what else to try... I even tried using the option "Keep WiFi On During Sleep" and set it to "Only When Charging" and also tried setting it to "Never". It doesn't even work, WiFi is always on regardless of that setting. I just have to keep toggling it manually. But even then, I don't have a lot of monthly data so I don't want to have to keep leaving it off.

1VS8wre.jpg
This above graph is showing during the day with WiFi off and very minimal usage. The steep drop before the green line was usage at home with screen and WiFi on. The green, almost vertical line is indicating charging and after charging I turn WiFi on and go to sleep. The battery drain increased drastically compared to the daytime.