Galaxy S7-All the right moves and then stumbles at the finishing line (only has 32gb internal)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7-All the right moves and then stumbles at the finishing line

32gb is the new 16gb. It was for better profits and so they can have 64gb standard on the new S8

I don't think Samsung will move to 64GB base until Apple moves to 32GB base. That's one advantage that Samsung holds over Apple, higher base storage.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

32GB is plenty for me on my Note4. Just apps on it. My 128gb SD card is nearly full with music and videos. Not a problem for me. So I'll be sticking with Samsung and my S7's when I get them next week.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

32gb is the new 16gb. It was for better profits and so they can have 64gb standard on the new S8

There are a couple of options. You can have a 2 or 3 tier level. For eg, 32/64 or the full 32/64/128. Obviously there are cost issues with manufacturing multiple hard drive options. If I was in charge of this department, there is no way there would be no 128GB version. Not when cheaper Androids offer as much and of course it's chief rival Apple. The base model should be 64GB and if need be a few dollars more. If Samsung can afford to give away free VR's, it can surely provide a base 64GB hard drive at minimal extra cost.

Also, regarding the pre order offers, Samsung could have given people a choice-pre order a Galaxy S7 and you have your choice of a free VR or upgrade to 128GB version. I think that would have been even a lot better marketing than a free VR which I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, have no interest in.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

All my photos , videos music are plugged into Google cloud services, 32gb has been plenty for my S6.

As soon as I am getting close to running out of space I just tell Google photos to delete all uploaded photos and videos and then 2min later I have 15gb free. I only have to do this every 6 months, very practical. For music I have 10 albums pinned that I rotate depending on what I feel like listening to, always having the option to just stream if I want.

If I'm going to complain it's for the missing IR blaster, seriously use that alot on all different devices at home.

dreaming of electric sheep

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

All my photos , videos music are plugged into Google cloud services, 32gb has been plenty for my S6.

As soon as I am getting close to running out of space I just tell Google photos to delete all uploaded photos and videos and then 2min later I have 15gb free. I only have to do this every 6 months, very practical. For music I have 10 albums pinned that I rotate depending on what I feel like listening to, always having the option to just stream if I want.

If I'm going to complain it's for the missing IR blaster, seriously use that alot on all different devices at home.

And what about those people who have heaps of photos, videos, movies and music who don't have an expensive mobile plan that allows for a lot of mobile data use? Those people who would rather have all that media stored locally on their actual phone, who don't or can't afford to pay a large amount of monthly cost to stream their own content.

I myself am on a dirt cheap mobile plan with only about 100MB data a month. My plan allows me to call and SMS my wife unlimited. I have no interest in an expensive plan so I can chew through data out and about. When I do connect to the net, it is on wifi at home. I can afford a more expensive plan but I don't want to. I am one of those typical people that need large storage capabilities on my phone, not in the cloud.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Why not pink with glitter?:)

Clearly you're not into accessorizing ;) With a white phone, I can use ANY color and choice of baubles.
But if it does materialize in white, I'll be use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in Rose Crystal. Understated elegance :p

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Clearly you're not into accessorizing ;) With a white phone, I can use ANY color and choice of baubles.
But if it does materialize in white, I'll be use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in Rose Crystal. Understated elegance :p

I wasn't sure whether you were a real chic or not. Now I know-you're the real thing. ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't think Samsung will move to 64GB base until Apple moves to 32GB base. That's one advantage that Samsung holds over Apple, higher base storage.
I think so too.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Why give customers everything they're asking for at once? Where's the incentive to upgrade to the S8 when it arrives next year? Crappy way of doing business in the eyes of the consumer but you gotta admit it's a great way to ensure folks will be upgrading to the next Galaxy S phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Crappy way of doing business in the eyes of the consumer but you gotta admit it's a great way to ensure folks will be upgrading to the next Galaxy S phone.

True, but there's a fine line between keeping your customers wanting more, and simply ticking them off and driving them away.;)

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

And what about those people who have heaps of photos, videos, movies and music who don't have an expensive mobile plan that allows for a lot of mobile data use? Those people who would rather have all that media stored locally on their actual phone, who don't or can't afford to pay a large amount of monthly cost to stream their own content.

I myself am on a dirt cheap mobile plan with only about 100MB data a month. My plan allows me to call and SMS my wife unlimited. I have no interest in an expensive plan so I can chew through data out and about. When I do connect to the net, it is on wifi at home. I can afford a more expensive plan but I don't want to. I am one of those typical people that need large storage capabilities on my phone, not in the cloud.

How much is your plan per month?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I seriously missed Note 4's IR and removal battery options in my Note 5. don't get me started on the sd cards

Unfortunately as more and more tvs are smart ones and less and less are the non internet dumb ones, the IR blaster will be less relevant. As you simply control smart tvs through wifi and an app rather than through IR.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't know a single person that bought a higher capacity S6 as anecdotal as that is. Also, Apple upped the 2nd tier of the iPhone to 64GB while leaving the base at 16GB for a very specific reason - because of research and market demographics. 32GB is the "plenty of storage" sweet spot and rather than risk the manufacturing of 3 different devices, Samsung is more than likely trying to mitigate cost after the financial hit they took last year on the S6.

If you're super concerned about the storage wait until this summer when $500 128GB GS6 models start flooding eBay etc. I'm not trying to tell people their device checklist is wrong, but I don't think Samsung was "out to get you." They don't care if you're on a $7/mo plan, but they also aren't going to pander to you.

Posted via the Android Central App

dingyibvs

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
You guys realize the lack of color options and higher storage is just a function of Samsung trying to push the item out in time, right? More options will be introduced soon, they just couldn't make enough of all types to ensure a smooth pre-order process. No, I don't have inside sources in Samsung, I just happen to believe that they want to make money, and those are easy, cheap, market-proven ways to make a lot more money.

Arcticwolf1

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I can see your point, however, your point of view is relative to the phone you have. I can say with absolute certainty that aside from the lack of removable battery, the S7 is a huge upgrade from my S3. I'm not worried about storage space because I jumped on that Amazon deal of a 200gb card.

As for being worried about data for backing up to the cloud, that gets done at night over Wi-Fi while the phone is charging. But again, everyone's experience will differ based on lifestyles and environment.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Fewer color options and storage options equals fewer skews that vendors and carriers need to stock. Carriers were upset they had to carry 9 different S6 and S6 Edge skews in Stock. 3 colors and 3 storage sizes for each.

I don't need the space personally, but would have preferred a 64gb S7 for long term use.

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

SD card will sort that out. This is exactly what I use mine for. And I can't stream when I am underground or in a plane - something I do quite frequently.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe