Galaxy S7 Edge - early issues thread

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Welp..I wanted a replacement for this but T mobile doesn't have any. Back ordered. Just got off the phone with Advanced Tech. The sad thing is the tech said the replacement of the S7 edge is not even in the system yet.

A few days ago. The home button and previous apps button on left of home button quit working. I had to restart 3 times that day to fix it. The back button still works. No problems with that again until about a hour ago. It did the same thing but now a reboot will not fix it. After multiple reboots still not fixed? I rebooted with and without SD card in?

What should I do?

1. Walk into a local Tmobile and ask for a replacement maybe they have one in stock locally? I am in my 14 day grace period.
2. Try a hard reset 1st? (I figured I would do this in a store after I showed them in person what was happening.)
3. Get another phone?

I realize that being an early user of something like this things happen but at least save a few backups in for your long time customers or any customer for that fact. I have been with Tmobile 14 years.

I just went and bought another one locally. I will send the broken one above back. Once I get my new phone updated I will let yall know if hard reset fixes the broken home and previous apps buttons.

I wonder how I am going to make sure and get my VR and Netflix since I am sending the pre-ordered phone back?

evan34

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I actually asked this question in the 'ask a question'. I have issues with launching games, whenever I launch any games, the brightness would go dimmer than it use to then whenever I leave the application it would go back to original brightness. I don't have auto brightness on. I've looked into see if it is a power saving thing but I couldn't find where I can keep the brightness the same at all times. it just dim by itself when launching games. :/ I tried clash of clans on s7 edge vs note 5 it is very noticeable. It's like s7 edge just turned clash of clans into night mode. lol

I noticed the same thing and it's very annoying.

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having an odd and irritating issue. Haven't seen anyone else post about it so hopefully I just ended up with a bad phone and it's not indicative of the S7 Edge (US Cellular Snapdragon).

So a few hours after I brought the phone home from the store (March 9th) I noticed the time on my phone was off by almost 20 minutes. Turns out it had froze and I had to do the battery pull simulation task (volume down and power for several seconds?...) to get the phone to reboot. Since then my phone has randomly rebooted or frozen and rebooted close to 20 times.

There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when and why it does this. Sometimes it does it when I am not using the phone, other times when I am using the browser or watching a video. Especially annoyed when it did this in the middle of a fantasy baseball draft! So I called US Cellular to get some ideas. First thing was remove the SD card - no help. Next was a app cache and system partition cache wipe - nope. Then we did a factory reset and reinstalled everything including apps - still acting up. Last we tried another factory reset but this time we did not reload Google or Samsung accounts or apps. Still failed!

US Cellular is sending a new phone to replace this one. Again, hopefully this is a rare and isolated failure, however, I wanted to share my story in case anyone else is dealing with a similar situation.
Sounds like bad device. I have had no freezes or reboots.

zainsikander32

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Guys I've been having a major issue. It's not Hardware related or Samsung 's fault. In the Google Hangout App or Messenger App the Enter/Return key is replaced by an emoji button. I understand you can download Swift key and override that but I'd like to know how to have the enter key return on the stock keyboard in those apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Had a screen hardware issue today. Screen would become slow or outright unresponsive and would take a while to work again. When it did the screen would have patches of gray. Took it into TMobile but no local stores had stock and it was backordered for 2 weeks. I had no choice but to return it and cancel my service.

Posted from my BlackBerry PRIV/Note 4/ iPad Pro

Attachments

• 6558.jpg
    6558.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 112

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
There's a very obvious audio/video lag when recording video with the front-facing camera in Snapchat. It's not a problem with the app, as it works fine on my Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.

xxstranger

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine froze again today all buttons became unresponsive. This happened 3rd time already and I kept getting that sd card message. Now on 3rd time when it froze and I had to do volume down+power to bring it back it couldn't read my caRd and it corrupted my 64gb card. I can't format it on any device!

What to do?

Is it faulty phone?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean to minimize any of the real problems some people are having with their devices. But I do just want to mention a couple of things. NO man made device has a 100% perfect production process. Some defective products will get into the field. And this is true of the S7, just as it was true of the S6, the Nexus 6P (and 5X, and 6, and 5.....), LG phones, Moto phones, and any other you care to mention. Hopefully those who get a bad one can get it replaced quickly. Oh, and the S7 isn't the only phone that's been in short supply when new.

Then there are the software glitches. Pretty much every new phone comes with bugs that haven't been caught before they're in the hands of hundreds of thousands, or millions, of users. That includes Nexus phones, too. There are plenty of bugs in every new release of even "pure" Android. And, for the most part, they get fixed by software updates pretty quickly. Samsung's already provided one OTA related to Edge functions.

I just got back in town from a long trip, and have only had mine activated for about 4 hours, so I'm not prepared to comment on what I encounter, but so far the only issue is that Smart Switch wouldn't work at all. My new and old phones wouldn't communicate at all. Not a major issue to me.

LOD66

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I have not been able to find any mention of this anywhere, but today I noticed I was having issues with my game launcher. Everytime I click it, I just get message saying unfortunately game launcher has stopped. Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas to fix?

Only thing I can think of is o had to turn a lot of screen over layer things off when trying to upload photos to instagram, other than that I have not touched any system settings since the last time I used the launcher.

Posted via the Android Central App

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
While mine has generally been working great (one odd quirk with Snapchat videos not syncing with audio when OK Google is enabled on "every screen"), my only tiny gripe is with an ever-so-slight light leakage that I only notice in the dark where the glass meets the metal at the bottom. I've noticed others mentioning some screen alignment issues. I don't even know if this one qualifies as an "issue," but it's there for whatever that's worth.

Overall, very happy with what is a stellar device.

JCRich

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone activated yesterday at lunch. Last evening I was attempting to update Google apps that were pre-loaded. Midway through it started rebooting and was continuously rebooting from 8:30 - 11.

So, mid-morning today I download some of the apps I'd had on a earlier devices (GTAB 1 & 2), and it started this reboot cycle again. Did that for about an hour (11 - Noon).

About 1:00 I started signing into some of those apps and about 1:30 it started rebooting over and over again. Its still doing that (1 1/2 hours later).

I've had older phones do something similar (or at least heat up the battery significantly) until you got everything downloaded and a day (or so) settling in period. But, this seems excessive to me. Anyone else with the issue?

CYBOPOB

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Have a UK version. 1 day old. Battery got so hot, i can smell melting plastic. downloaded apps from Google Play. Battery went from 99% to 85% in less than 30 min. However, downloading 3.5Gb from my iCloud (photos, contacts ets.) did not make phone hot.

xxstranger

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Guys I'm thinking to take mine back to store and demand a replacement.

It's urgent.

Can anyone confirm if this is happening to you or not:

Phone freezes. All buttons become unresponsive. You have to reset it with volume down+ power because even power button doesn't work?

Because I'm not sure anymore is it software problem or not?

It did this since day 1. And it already destroyed my 64 gb sD card - I'm thinking that because after it froze like that and came back my card became corrupted

So I ordered a new card but I fear it'll cost me another sd card if I try new one if this phone is faulty

PLEASE HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid