Galaxy S7: Flashing stock firmware - how to get HOME_CSC?

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a Galaxy S7 SM-G930A that's stuck in a boot loop. I've already tried soft resets and wiping the cache partition several times. When I do the recovery boot, I get the "Installing system update" screen, followed by the "No command" screen, followed by the recovery boot menu with a following printed at the bottom:

#fail to open recovery_cause(no such file or directory)#
#Reboot Recovery Cause is [UNKNOWN]#
No Support SINGLE-SKU

I have *not* tried a factory reset yet, because I'm first trying to find a way to fix it without erasing the user data, and I understand from other threads that this may be possible by flashing the stock firmware using Odin - but only if I select a file called "HOME_CSC" or "CSC_HOME" instead of the regular CSC file.

The problem is, none of the firmware downloads I can find online seem to have the HOME CSC file. Do I just need to keep looking? Is there some reason that I'm never going to find one? Or is there some other way forward?

Thanks a ton for any help. I've never flashed Android firmware before - just learning all of this from research I've done today

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
@MNMobileGuy That would be awesome! How do we proceed? I just download this one, but could also download a different one if necessary.
You always want to flash the exact same version that you're currently running, for best chance of success. Your current version can be found in the Android Recovery menu. It's usually the 3rd or 4th line from the top - the only line where all of the letters are capitalized

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
You always want to flash the exact same version that you're currently running, for best chance of success. Your current version can be found in the Android Recovery menu. It's usually the 3rd or 4th line from the top - the only line where all of the letters are capitalized

Ah thanks, I had missed that! Mine says 8.0.0/R16NW/G930AUCSACSH3

I can't find any G930AUCSACSH3 available for free download online, though this site seems to claim I can buy it for $3 (which I don't mind doing, if you think it looks legit):

https://www.fullstockfirmwaredownload.com/downloads/stock-firmware-sm-g930a/

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Great. Some tutorials online seemed to say you have to have USB Debugging enabled first.
Maybe for models from other manufacturers. For Samsungs, the only thing that USB Debugging might be used for in terms of flashing would be for booting the phone to Download mode. But you can also do that via the buttons, so Debugging isn't needed

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Maybe for models from other manufacturers. For Samsungs, the only thing that USB Debugging might be used for in terms of flashing would be for booting the phone to Download mode. But you can also do that via the buttons, so Debugging isn't needed

Ah okay, makes sense.

Just awaiting those files then. Thanks again for helping out.

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ah okay, makes sense.

Just awaiting those files then. Thanks again for helping out.
One thing that I had forgotten about:

AT&T firmware for some reason has a "userdata" partition included in the AP file and if flashed, that partition automatically performs a factory reset - even if you flash HOME CSC. (So that actually might be the reason for them not including a HOME CSC in the firmware: the standard AP file performs a reset anyways.) So like I've had to do for others in the past who wanted to update firmware without wiping, I had to extract the AP and then re-pack it without the "userdata" included. So here's the link to the Google Drive folder. Download BL, CP, and G930AUCSACSH3_no_wipe - that will be your "no wipe" AP and your HOME CSC.

If the flash doesn't fix it, then you'll probably have to wipe unfortunately. You can try just doing a factory reset from the Android Recovery menu if you want, or if you want to do a normal "wipe" flash, download the G930AUCSACSH3_wipe zip - that will be your "standard" AT&T firmware, with "wipe" AP and CSC

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NCZ-64hc6UM8wHuLsoMaa-Yx1AT2Dpxs

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Awesome - thank you so much! Sounds like I'd be SOL several times over without your help.

Downloading now. Hopefully whatever's wrong will be fixed by this...we'll find out soon. Even if I can boot successfully just once to get the data off before still having to do a factory reset for some reason, that will be great.

So the G930AUCSACSH3_no_wipe is a zip with both an AP and HOME CSC file zipped up in it?

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Okay so, I flashed it and got a PASS! in Odin, but now the phone is stuck in a loop of "RECOVERY BOOTING..." to "Installing system update" to "Error!" when the progress bar reaches 32%.

Is there something I should do to try to fix this other than a factory reset? Does it suggest a specific problem?