Galaxy S9/trade-in horror story

jkcash

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought an S9 in early April from Samsung's website, and they were running a deal for $150 off with trade-in of my phone (the 1G Pixel 5"), along with a 99$ bundle that included the Gear VR, IconX, and wireless charger. That plus 720 for a brand new phone with rave reviews (basically the great S8 + a better camera, processor, etc) sounded like a good deal, and my Pixel's bluetooth issues were nagging as I had more accessories using it than before. Things were going well enough after this, but I had mixed feelings about the phone - the camera quality is incredibly inconsistent, really worse than the Pixel, battery life seemed worse than my 1.5 year old phone, and I wondered about future updates (or lack thereof), but I was happy enough with it.

Just over two weeks after buying it, just outside of my return period, Samsung informed me that my Pixel was not up to their terms for trade-in and they would be charging me $125 of the 150 trade-in value. $25 for my perfectly functional phone that I'm now honestly convinced was better in the first place, all things considered. They sent me two photos which show light paint specks missing, which on a metal phone is par for the course under "normal wear and tear" - which they said it was beyond. Absolutely ridiculous. Try sticking your phone in a bag with anything else and that not happening. The phone was in great shape when I sent it, well packaged, also in its nice fabric case, which I thought was a fun idea at the time. I have been back and forth with them on the BBB after waiting over two weeks for response from their support channel (I doubt they would ever have come up with an answer for me otherwise), and they are standing fast on not honoring their agreement while referring to me annoyingly as "valued Samsung customer" (whatever). I've seen this isn't a unique case and wonder if some sort of class action lawsuit is brewing (sign me up!).

The absolute lack of scruples they've shown in jipping me on this has turned this into a nice lifelong boycott for me, and I just wanted to warn anyone else against sending in their old baby (RIP Pixel :'( ), if not buying their products entirely. I've since sold that S9 and bought a Pixel 2, which is such a better experience across the board (camera, battery, software, speed, not touching the screen because of tiny bezels, security updates, et. al) it's not even funny - despite running older hardware. Good learning experience for me, and I'll know never to expect anything from the brand again. I hope Samsung enjoys the $125 - I have a number of friends/family who take advice from me on phones, and I'll gladly inform them on my Valued Samsung Customer experience.

I've attached their original (blood pressure maximizing) notification that my return was not accepted, and the BBB complaint. Feel free to read my patience loss as it happened. :cool:

Capture1.PNG
b05df9c0ba7aa4d847397baaff2cba10.png
d561d85fc261283361a7ca7f340c2f79.png

Complaint Details
I recently bought a new Galaxy S9 + accessories bundle from samsung.com, which included a rebate for trading in my old phone, a Google Pixel, for $150, dependent on stipulations which it easily met. Samsung, just after the return period had passed for the S9, informed me that my phone did not meet their requirements and sent me two pictures that showed nothing that did not meet their requirements - they back my claim to such a degree that I wonder if a strange mistake was made when processing my claim. They informed me that it was "beyond normal wear and tear" when in fact the phone was perfectly functional, and had only light scratches from regular daily use. After contacting customer support multiple times, I have waited two weeks and received nothing by way of notification. I do not expect them to respond at this point, and if they do, why would I expect their findings to be any different? If you cannot be reasonably held to the standard that you set for a trade-in device, how can you have a trade in program? What recourse do I have when they will not even respond to my reasonable inquiry? If I could receive my old phone and trade back this phone that I made the mistake of purchasing from them, I would gladly do it. I would never have sent in that phone if I had known it would be swiped and my trade-in value wrongly denied. I am only asking that Samsung uphold its word. This is terrible business practice, and I cannot understand why Samsung would make a decision which would so obviously infuriate a good customer.

Desired Settlement: Billing Adjustment
I would like the $150 that Samsung promised me for that fully functional phone. It clearly meets the requirements of our trade-in agreement, a phone that has no more than regular wear and tear, is fully functioning, crack free, etc. I am on a financing plan for the S9 that the total was added to, and I would very much like it removed.

SAMSUNG:
Samsung has reviewed Mr. (redacted) complaint in regards to the Trade-in promotion. E-Commerce had advised that per the terms and conditions of the promotion, Mr. (redacted) trade-in device did not meet trade-in requirements. This is E-Commerce’s final decision regarding this matter. Regrettably, no accommodations can be made for this claim. Thank you for being a valued Samsung customer, we apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with this case.

ME:
I do not believe my case was even reviewed by Samsung. That cannot be the case when the same, incredibly unjust conclusion was reached. Even the pictures, as attached, that Samsung sent to me signifying "unacceptable" damage are well within the terms of Samsung's return policy. If the device was expected to be in brand new condition, that was not made clear to me. This is an embarrassing response for this company, and to refer to me as a "valued Samsung customer" is an insult given this treatment. I can only imagine how many people this company has done this to, as my phone was in great shape when sent for trade-in. I would greatly appreciate having my phone returned to me, as Samsung has *not* fulfilled the terms of its agreement. The question I ask is, what responsibility does Samsung have to its customers? None? How can I be expected to do business with a company that does not honor its agreement with a good, paying customer?

SAMSUNG:
Upon further review of Mr. (redacted) complaint, E-Commerce had advised that the device did not meet the condition of ‘Normal wear and tear’ due to triage failure reason ‘Has housing damage’ in accordance to the promotion. E-Commerce has also advised that per the triage photos Mr. (redacted) was also provided, the trade-in device has excessive housing damage that goes beyond normal wear and tear. This is E-Commerce’s final decision regarding this matter. Regrettably as previously advised, per the terms and conditions of the promotion a refund is not required and the chargeback remains valid. Thank you for being a valued Samsung customer, we apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with this case.

ME:
This is a completely inadequate display of customer service. Samsung has failed to uphold its end of the agreement. "Normal wear and tear" not covering a few paint specks on a painted metal phone is absolutely ridiculous. What, pray tell, Valued Samsung Customer Representative, would be normal wear and tear? Perfection was *not* listed in the terms required for a trade-in phone. You have *stolen* a perfectly functioning phone worth hundreds and given me $25 towards a brand new phone I bought from your garbage company. Look at your "triage" photos (do you speak English?) for yourself and see the lack of damage to it - I don't understand what a normally used phone looks like if that's not it. You are a pathetic representative of an embarrassing company that does not care about its customers. I will sell every piece of Samsung hardware that I own and I will *never* be purchasing another product from your pathetic company. I'm 27 and a tech/Android enthusiast, so that's a fair bit. I will tell every single person who will listen my story, and to not do business with you. I will be posting this to Reddit and every tech blog I can think of. I truly hope that's worth the $125 that you jipped me. If nothing else this experience has shown me what an embarrassingly unscrupulous company yours is. Thanks for nothing, and kindly do not ever refer to me as a "valued customer" again, we are finished.

PS, that Google Pixel is a better phone than the Samsung S9 that you sent me. Study it, I hope you can take lessons from what a good company (also with, unlike you lot, good customer service) like Google can do. What a glitchy mess - the Pixel outperforms it despite having hardware two years older. Perhaps you can learn how to make phones while you're figuring out the customer service bit.

PPS, this smells of a class action lawsuit brewing, and I will happily add my name to it when it does. Your company won't get away with this forever.

Best Regards,

#1 Samsung Valued Customer

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That's too bad :( Do you not use a case? I don't know what the conditions of the trade-in are but it seems like they couldn't very well resale the phone with it looking like that. Maybe they need to be more specific in the details. I keep a case and screen protector on mine and when I sent my S7 back to (Verizon) for a trade in on my S9+, I took photos of it from every angle just in case they wanted to tell me there was damage to it. It was in pristine condition even after falling off the hood of my car going 55mph (Thank you Zagg, Spigen and Life360!). I first bought the Pixel 2 XL but missed the "Samsung Experience" and gave it to my husband. I guess I'm not a "pure Android" type of gal :eek:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What you experienced is my fear with any trade in offer. Luckily, my phone's have been in pristine condition when I trade them in to ATT for the NEXT upgrade program. Makes me wonder what is Samsung's definition of "normal wear and tear"?

Jesslc4real

Jun 21, 2018
Visit site
Samsung has done this to several people. Its all a scam, I sent in a phone with no scratches and in perfect condition. 3 Months after they received the phone they sent me the exact same email. The pictures they sent me was not of the phone I sent them. I called and sent several emails I haven't heard anything back. I requested the IMEI number and better pictures of the phone that they claimed was broken. The good thing is that I have pictures and videos of the phone I sent that I took in FEDEX to show the phone. I'm sure I won't here from Samsung because it's obvious that it's a scam. I contacted my bank and sent the pictures they sent and the ones of what I mailed off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.37.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.37.39 PM.png
    798.4 KB · Views: 46

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I did the trade in with the Note 8. I sent my S7 edge in that I had just sitting around and got full value. NO way they could say it had "wear and tear." I'm always leery of samsung trade in when I do it. For the Note 9 I dunno. I just might sell my S8 Plus and or Note 8 at my flea market tech booth even though I wouldn't get as much.

Coveting Complex

Feb 18, 2023
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear about your seemingly hopeless experience. Yet, that seems par for the course here in the U.S. where corporations, whether native or not, literally have more rights than the citizens do. If we did half of what these criminal corporations get away with, we would likely be fined into the poorhouse, and then raided, and drug from there to the slammer for a couple of decades.

Bankers steal billions of dollars from the public, get caught, and receive a little slap on the wrist. While we lowly peasants and peons would be in jail if we even stole a twenty dollar bill! This is akin to a robber going into a bank, robbing it for $100,000 and upon his exiting, there is a Law Enforcement Officer who catches him, and knows he has stolen $100k, and tells the robber to give him $30k. After which receiving, he allows the robber to flee and escape into the deep recesses of the city. While we, Joe Public, exit the bank with a bank pen that we did not steal with any type of intentions, but rather subconsciously pocketed out of habit, are caught, detained, arrested, and hauled off to jail.

Drives me up a wall how these companies seem devoid of any legal responsibilities in fulfilling their portion of these contracts with consumers. I purchased some tires for my vehicle that were on "sale". Instead of paying a sale price for the tires, I would eventually receive a prepaid debit card for the same amount in the mail. Now, this may have not been the wisest choice to have made, but it shouldn't have mattered considering the terms laid out in writing. I waited until just before the card's expiration before using it (I think I was planning on purchasing a specific item, which I had thought would eventually go on sale, and it never did). Regardless, I still attempted to use the card prior to its expiration date, and hour! According to all the information that came with the card, and what was available on this third party's website, these gift cards expired at midnight on the day of expiration. For example, if the card had a listed expiration date of July 4th, 2000, then the card would be valid to use through all of July 3rd, 2000 until reaching midnight, which is technically the beginning of the next day. I tried using my card on its stated last day of validity, well before midnight my time, and before midnight of the time where the offices of this third party were located, and well before midnight EST. My card was declined, and upon calling the helpline listed on the card, I was informed that the card was expired, a call which was also performed before midnight! Naturally, I could never reach any real person with whom to speak. Made a claim with BBB, but nothing ever became of it. I lost all of the money I thought I was saving from paying a sale price. I'll never accept those cards in place of a sale price again!!!

The company was reported numerous times to the BBB, yet here they were still allowed to do business in an unethical manner which some would deem as criminal! So, yeah, I feel for your frustration with Samsung, jkcash. I also have a doozy of a horror story involving XBOX division of Microsoft, but I have already gone off topic for too long here. Where does this nonsense end? If we, consumers, simply would not tolerate such behavior and treatment from these corporate entities, then they would cease such detestable behavior, and would conduct their business with more respect to their customers, but exactly how do we, as consumers, not tolerate such behavior? Boycott them, and their products? Of course! Yet, I feel that there is something more we could be doing to make them really feel the mistakes they should be accountable for making! I wish I knew the most effective actions we could take.

I was curious if anybody may give me an explanation for the following. It is currently Saturday, February 18th, 2023, and I was on the Samsung website seeing what kind of trade-in value any of my older devices could net me towards a new S23 Ultra. Turns out my Galaxy S9+ could save me a total of, hold onto your hats for this one, a whopping $60!!! Really? However, I then notice that my older device, by two generations, my S7 would net me a $100 of savings! WHAT??!!! Why is a device that is nearly two generations older than another device worth nearly twice the trade-in value of the newer device whose specs are better across the entire board??? By chance, would anyone have any logically sound explanation for this discrepancy?

Coveting Complex

Feb 18, 2023
Visit site
I just had to add in one extra point here, as we as a society grow closer and closer to not having ownership over the devices which we pay for. Many people are not aware of what is happening in regards to who truly owns technological devices. This involves the right to repair. Whether it is the owner repairing some electronic device, which they had believed to have owned from paying a price for said device. Major tech companies have tried to claim in court that they are the true owners over some device, let's say Apple claiming to be the owner of a MacBook which some consumer thought they had become the owner of said MacBook upon their purchasing the device.

Apple will claim that the consumer is basically paying rent on the device, that the purchase cost of the device only paid for the right to possess and use said device, but did not supply ownership of said device. Well, with not being the device's true owner, you are not allowed to open it up to repair yourself, nor to modify it yourself. In fact, you can not even take it to a certified technician for repair. It can only be repaired by those who Apple has authorized to perform repairs on their products. Companies will claim that such a viewpoint is necessary for trade secrets, which level out the playing field amongst tech companies, keeping the competition fair; and will also claim it must be done for the consumers' protection; along with several other wishy-washy excuses why consumers should not truly have ownership over these devices. I just heard of someone with a hp printer who had signed up for replaceable ink packs. He thought he was paying for a service where his ink jet packs would be replaced as they ran out for $5.99 a month. Instead hp claimed he was not paying for the ink, but for the right to use the printer up to one hundred pages per month. The man cancelled his subscription, or what he thought had been a subscription, which hp did honor. However, the printer being connected to the internet allowed hp to disable its functionality when the subscription was cancelled. So because this man was no longer purchasing hp ink packs for his hp printer, he no longer had the right to use it. Hp would not allow any third party ink pack suppliers from being used in their machines, or at least in their machines new enough to have the appropriate hardware within them that would provide such control to hp. Many people have been basically brainwashed that they should not allow them to have the rights of ownership. Most of them have been exposed to faulty logic and intimidating horror stories, such as a Tesla owner doing his own repair and modifications which ultimately causes his . . . ahmm, ahh, I meant Tesla's vehicle . . . to explode at a stoplight to such a degree that a total of seven people are injured, one immediate death, plus two more who would eventually succumb to their injuries. These people are allowing fiction to dictate everyone's reality. People must be educated to the true essence of what rights of ownership a involves.

As I was reading further on the Samsung webpage about trade-ins for smart phones, I see a statement which reads as follows: "If you do not send your trade-in device, or it does not meet the eligibility requirements, Samsung reserves the right to disable your New Samsung Product remotely." I am tempted to read their terms and conditions because I am sure I would discover some complete and utter BS within that print! Yet, I simply do not possess the energy such long and drab writing requires to read. So yeah, not only are these corporations blatantly ripping us off, for all intents and purposes, stealing from us legally, they are pushing a new level of thievery into legalization by establish a common viewpoint that nobody owns their own technological devices!

Oh, I just remembered that I had recently heard of some device, some tablet I think, where the company was not allowing the "owners" of said device to install any apps which the company did not approve of. Things are beginning to get really bad, and somehow we need to clearly illustrate that we will no longer tolerate such ludicrously greedy behavior in business dealings.