Gallery App

jdkillian

Feb 24, 2023
Visit site
Just bought a new Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra last week.
Been a long time since Ive used android.
Anyhow, Ive noticed in my gallery that every single image file for every app on this thing is displaying mixed in with my other pictures. Its also showing every image from sites Ive visited... icons, png etc
Is there e a way to prevent this or turn it off so it doesnt grab every single image file on this thing I cant keep sorting through all of these app pictures, Icons etc

Thanks
Jeff

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is the problem if app developers neglect to include a file called ".nomedia" in the directory that the app uses to store its own images. .nomedia instructs the system to ignore that directory when scanning for images to add to the gallery database. You could use a file manager app or simple text editor to create a blank file called .nomedia and save it to each of those directories, or consider using the Google Photos app instead (which won't show those images as long as you didn't select those directories to back up to your Google Photos cloud).

Let's see if @mustang7757 has any other ideas when it comes to how this works on Samsung.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is the problem if app developers neglect to include a file called ".nomedia" in the directory that the app uses to store its own images. .nomedia instructs the system to ignore that directory when scanning for images to add to the gallery database. You could use a file manager app or simple text editor to create a blank file called .nomedia and save it to each of those directories, or consider using the Google Photos app instead (which won't show those images as long as you didn't select those directories to back up to your Google Photos cloud).

Let's see if @mustang7757 has any other ideas when it comes to how this works on Samsung.
I don't get this ? How can every app be displaying a image in gallery?

"Anyhow, Ive noticed in my gallery that every single image file for every app on this thing is displaying mixed in with my other pictures"

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't get this ? How can every app be displaying a image in gallery?

"Anyhow, Ive noticed in my gallery that every single image file for every app on this thing is displaying mixed in with my other pictures"

Gallery apps will often show every single image that's saved on storage, including images that are used or cached by apps in their own directories. That's why you might see odd images from ads or games or other things in a stock Gallery app. I think that's what the OP is seeing. This doesn't occur with Google Photos (at least not on the main Photos feed -- you might see a directory for app images in the Device Folders section).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Gallery apps will often show every single image that's saved on storage, including images that are used or cached by apps in their own directories. That's why you might see odd images from ads or games or other things in a stock Gallery app. I think that's what the OP is seeing. This doesn't occur with Google Photos (at least not on the main Photos feed -- you might see a directory for app images in the Device Folders section).
Ahh ok
Probably check in settings>apps>special access>Media files and All files access and turn some apps off there Screenshot_20230223_215933_Settings.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ahh ok
Probably check in settings>apps>special access>Media files and All files access and turn some apps off there View attachment 351632

The problem is that you can't selectively turn off access to only certain directories for the Gallery app, and if you turn off file access for the culprit apps that are creating those images, then those apps probably won't work correctly.

jdkillian

Feb 24, 2023
Visit site
Ok im going to try what you posted. Update. I looked again and noticed that everything that's in there are media files, icons, buttons etc. They are all from one website (my geneaology site) on my Linux server. There aren't any media files from anything else as I previously stated. Sorry