Gapless playback of music from Google Play

cruisen

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had this issue for ages with my HTC One (M7) - don't know how I missed this thread in my searches.

I believe the fact that all audio on the M7 is routed through the Beats Equaliser is what is breaking the gapless playback (as it'll be bypassing the stock Android audio API that allows for gapless playback). That's my theory anyway, as it does seem to work fine on the Google Play Edition version of the M7 (which doesn't have Beats software equaliser). There's no way of activating the Android stock equaliser on the M7 that I can see either.

No way I'm rooting it though and missing out on all the nice HTC rom touches.

I've reported it multiples times within the app but I'm not sure who's problem it is to fix - Google or HTC...

I'm seriously considering ditching sense. Even though I love blink feed and zoe, I'm pretty sure I'll find something third party that does the trick. What I can't find is something that works completely with my google music and I use my phone mostly as a personal music player more than anything. This is a joke , the so called boom box that can't play music gaplessly. HTC or google fix this. Why does Poweramp play gaplessly and google music cannot on my HTC One.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering ditching sense. Even though I love blink feed and zoe, I'm pretty sure I'll find something third party that does the trick. What I can't find is something that works completely with my google music and I use my phone mostly as a personal music player more than anything. This is a joke , the so called boom box that can't play music gaplessly. HTC or google fix this. Why does Poweramp play gaplessly and google music cannot on my HTC One.

I know it's frustrating. I don't even know the proper channel to raise bugs with Google. Seems like it works on Nexus devices but is flaky on others.

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the ViperOne ROM for the HTC One ([ROM][APR 17] ViperOne 6.1.0 | 1.54.401.5 | Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 | Venom Tweaks, VenomPie, Venom Hub, Theming, Icon Packs, OTA Updates and more! - Support for all variants - xda-developers) has a "SoundEnhancer" feature that includes the BeatsAudio as an option but also has custom equalisers. I wonder if these custom equalisers bypass whatever sound APIs the HTC One uses by default and would therefore get gapless playback working?

I'd love to hear from someone who's using ViperOne; I don't think I'm quite ready to go rooting my device right now :p

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
OK so...with the new Android 4.4.3 and Google Play music v5.5.1514O gapless playback now seems to work without having to turn on the equalizer (on the Nexus 5 anyway). YMMV.

Edit: I take it back. It's still broken.

It's as if i'm fixated on this one bug that Google will never fix.

spiral2012

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Apparently HTC has disable the built in EQ on my phone. If anyone is still having gapless playback issue even with the EQ on I recommend trying VIPER4ANDROID I mentioned above. Only catch is you have to be rooted. I was ready to switch to iPhone (I still might when 6 comes out), but this solved the gapless issue. Pretentious album snobs need gapless!!

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Apparently HTC has disable the built in EQ on my phone. If anyone is still having gapless playback issue even with the EQ on I recommend trying VIPER4ANDROID I mentioned above. Only catch is you have to be rooted. I was ready to switch to iPhone (I still might when 6 comes out), but this solved the gapless issue. Pretentious album snobs need gapless!!

I don't think it's even pretentious album snobs, I mean this is 2014, gapless playback of music should be a given. I used to have an iPhone from 2008-2012 and I had gapless playback back then. Makes no sense that Google can't get it right. For listening to live albums it's a must. Luckily I have this workaround solution with the equalizer on.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You know the drill, a new version of Google Play Music drops, and I play Tool's Parabol and Parabola back to back to see if gapless playback works without having to turn on the Equalizer.

Play Music Version: 5.6.1609P
Phone: Nexus 5
Android version: L preview build
Gapless playback status : WORKS

Yes, I don't know if it's due to the new version of Google Play Music alone, or the combination of Music running on Android L preview, but gapless playback once again works without having to use the Equalizer.

brafales

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Have been following this thread since I recently got myself a Moto G. Tried Google Play Music and I can't have gapless play, equializer on or off, doesn't matter.

I upgraded to Kit Kat and have Play Music v5.61617P

Poweramp does it ok. Interestingly enough, the web version of the player doesn't do gapless playback either...

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's dependent on phone version and Google play music. Works with nexus. Annoying to say the least.

Posted via Android Central App

specialsk

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's dependent on phone version and Google play music. Works with nexus. Annoying to say the least.

Non-rooted HTC m8 here and no go on the gapless playback in Google music. Horrible as I'm a huge live music listener, and on a phone that that's supposed to cater to audiophiles.... 😠

I'm not rooting just to get gapless....Google and/or HTC need to get this fixed.

Danny Holyoake

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Can confirm, my brand new Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has no gapless playback at all with Google Play.

This is enough of an issue for me to return the phone, unfortunately. I've never had any issues before with my Nexus 4 and my Moto E. A real shame.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Can confirm, my brand new Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has no gapless playback at all with Google Play.

This is enough of an issue for me to return the phone, unfortunately. I've never had any issues before with my Nexus 4 and my Moto E. A real shame.

This really bothers me. I'd like to consider non Nexus phones for my next purchase in the fall of 2015, but gapless playback in Google play music is a must for me. Google needs to fix this crap.

minori_aoi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you absolutely have to use Play Music, but I tried Shuttle and isn't disappointed. Gapless playback works flawlessly out of the box like it does on iOS iTunes (used to have iPhone 5).

* I listen to a remixed songs, so gapless playback is a must.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you absolutely have to use Play Music, but I tried Shuttle and isn't disappointed. Gapless playback works flawlessly out of the box like it does on iOS iTunes (used to have iPhone 5).

I have my music on Google play music cloud so I need to use the app.

specialsk

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I don't know enough about Shuttle but from what I saw, you really can't look at it as a Google play replacement it since Play is all about streaming your music library from the cloud and the music service subscription, where shuttle is just a music player for music physically on your device.

I have Power Amp as my stock music player replacement and it has phenomenal gapless playback as well as different cool fade options when selecting tracks. But it has the same limitations as Shuttle...no cloud access or music subscription.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
It's fairly sad that I originally started this thread almost 2 years ago, sent numerous reports to Google, and we're still talking about this issue.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You know the drill, a new version of Google Play Music drops, and I play Tool's Parabol and Parabola back to back to see if gapless playback works without having to turn on the Equalizer.

Play Music Version: 5.6.1609P
Phone: Nexus 5
Android version: L preview build
Gapless playback status : WORKS

Yes, I don't know if it's due to the new version of Google Play Music alone, or the combination of Music running on Android L preview, but gapless playback once again works without having to use the Equalizer.

Re-reading this thread, I FORGOT about this. Gapless on the Nexus was working in the Android L preview build. I *wonder* if this is finally fixed in Android L. I've since gone back to KitKat but i'm anxious to try this one out again in a few weeks (or whenever L is ready)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky