gapps versions

Bluelens

Dec 9, 2010
www.jmhoover.com
I was toying around with Dark Paranoid Android and love that the gapps that you can download for it has the 4.2 gmail. Why will some ROMs only function with the 0726 signed gapps while others can use different gapps, such as the latest inverted gapps by TeamBAKED?

I would like to try out other ROMs but use the TeamBAKED gapps.

Thanks

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
All roms should function with all gapps.
Differences being...that any Gapps package that includes a leaked .apk; especially one that isn't signed with the same signature...I personally wouldn't use.
Also, if the Gapps include gallery.apk; whatever camera modifications the ROM has will not function.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Jubakuba - I flashed your 10/17 4.1.2 build today and used the same gapps that I've used dozens of times before (including your last 4.1.2 build). This was the first time my apps didn't restore from the market and also my wifi(s) didn't auto connect as they usually do as well. I reflashed the rom/gapps (clean) twice to no avail. Had to send my apps to my phone from a pc browser. I only backup my data/apk data via mybackup pro these days as it seemed overkill with google doing it successfully. Only thing I can think of, after reading what you wrote above, is that for whatever reason I sideloaded the google play 3.9.16 apk on my last rom (yours). Would that be why auto restore etc. failed? Any way to fix it so it doesn't do it next time? Certainly only a minor incovenience and I'll backup apks with MBP just in case before I flash another rom. Just curious.

Also, to anyone, is there really a point to use newer gapps when they should auto update from the play store if a new version is out? Unless I'm thinking incorrectly the only point I could see is for those gapps with custom or unavailable apps, no?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Bluelens what's so sweet about 4.2 Gmail? I have 4.1.2 and it seems the same as it's been for a long time. Not exactly sure how it could be better for my uses, though.

Bluelens

Dec 9, 2010
www.jmhoover.com
Let me quickly flash back to Dark Paranoid Android and grab a couple screen shots. I don't know if this is the route that 4.2 will take or if this is a customization that TeamBAKED put together.

Bluelens

Dec 9, 2010
www.jmhoover.com
I like how you get the web experience of GMail on the phone, and I also like the full email view with pinch & zoom versus having to scroll left and right to see the full email (which never made sense to me). I know some of this can be accomplished with K9 and others, but call me crazy for wanting to use the GMail app on a Google phone.

Screenshot_2012-10-18-09-21-46.png

Screenshot_2012-10-18-09-22-39.png

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That looks awesome! Any idea when it will go mainstream? Looks similar to dual panel on my current build. I've only figured out or see it rather in settings though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350573342014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350573342014.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I like how you get the web experience of GMail on the phone, and I also like the full email view with pinch & zoom versus having to scroll left and right to see the full email (which never made sense to me). I know some of this can be accomplished with K9 and others, but call me crazy for wanting to use the GMail app on a Google phone.
Thats a PAranoid Android feature. Not sure theres such a thing outside of that. #Gmail