Gear Fit 2 Shortcomings

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Not too much information out on the web yet, but there are a few short comings that I see coming from a Fitbit.

Auto Heart Rate monitoring is not constant, it will do it only at intervals when you are not moving. Also will only be on constant when exercising.

Step counts. Will not count steps if arm is not moving like carrying or pushing something. The good part is that the Large is big enough to go around my ankle.

Stairs. Not accurate at all.

Gear Manager / S Health. Clunky. Cannot disable S Health Phone monitoring. Phone has to be on too and will then estimate step calculations between both devices. Would be nice if they would sync backwards from phone to gear fit 2 with the steps and everything else. Wish you can do more settings on the app. Also a windows based or web based S Health would be nice instead of using just the phone.

Will give this a shot for a few days, or else it will go back to Best Buy. Was looking for a more comfortable solution vs. the Fitbit HR. Has anyone found any solutions to these?

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I received my Fit 2 on Saturday and so far it's been more good than bad experience wise for me. I do like the way it fits on my small wrist. I know it's missing some nice conveniences that I would find on an android wear device but I did want something that was primarily fitness focused with basic notifications from my phone. So far the Fit 2 works.

That being said - the altimeter is CRAP. I have stairs in my house and for every three trips up I'll get credit for one. It's quite aggravating. I don't have anything to compare the step accuracy to at the moment so I can't comment there. I also notice a lack of steady heart rate monitoring.

I wish the phone app was a bit more polished, the sleep tracking is nice but I can only seem to get detailed information on the Fit itself and not within the S Health app.

For the price it's working for me - hoping that Samsung fixes this altimeter thing though.

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Welp 24 hours in and learned quite a bit.

1. Had issues syncing with SHealth, but SHealth cache wipe fixed the problem.
2. Was able to sync with MyFitnessPal thru Withings Healthmate.
3. There is no calorie intake/burn widget on SHealth. The best place to see total calorie burn is on the Gear Fit2 widget/plugin on Shealth or on the Fit2 itself.

This is amazingly more comfortable than my Fitbit. I was mulling over returning this, but the wrist pain i've been getting with my Fitbit HR is pretty bad. I can also wear the Fit2 on my ankle if need be. I was able to try it out on the threadmill last night. The HR monitor was on the entire exercise. I didn't see a huge reading drop like with my Fitbit.

I hope Samsung enables the HR on at all times and convert the calorie calculations via heart rate.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I just switched from a fitbit HR which started to get horrible battery life and very inaccurate, especially during workouts and sleep.

My only issues with the fit 2 are the calculation of floors climbed and the lack of continuous heart rate monitoring on the "other workout" category.

As someone mentioned, it takes like 3 floors for it to recognize one which is frustrating. Also, when doing weight training I have to start a workout as something else for it to track my heart rate throughout my workout which isn't the end of the world but sometimes I feel like the number of burned calories is a little low compared to the fitbit.

Other than those, I love it. I've been wanting this hybrid of smart watch and fitness tracker in a nice profile. I hope Samsung starts working on these issues and fix in a software update. I emailed them but ended up getting a canned response.

philippe150173

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new here. I received my gear fit 2 on monday and have to say that i love the features that it is offering. BUT one big but, it seems impossible to put music on the gearfit because i have no music in "samsung music" on my samsung galaxy s7 edge. I have google music, apple music and spotify and all of those services work fine on my galaxy but they don't store any music in samsung music. I tried everything but it seems impossble to put music in samsung music.

Does anyone know the solution for this issue?

many thanks in advance

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new here. I received my gear fit 2 on monday and have to say that i love the features that it is offering. BUT one big but, it seems impossible to put music on the gearfit because i have no music in "samsung music" on my samsung galaxy s7 edge. I have google music, apple music and spotify and all of those services work fine on my galaxy but they don't store any music in samsung music. I tried everything but it seems impossble to put music in samsung music.

Does anyone know the solution for this issue?

many thanks in advance

I think you need to have actual downloaded music files on your phone (mp3, etc) and then send those to the gear fit 2. If you're going to stream music, you can still skip songs from the gear fit 2 but your phone will be required.

zenjake

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I love this smartwatch/tracker...but one thing is driving me crazy. How horribly inaccurate the pedometer is - and the fact tha it seems you can't change your walking/running step length. This is something all fitbit's do, and it makes indoor treadmill runs so much more accurate. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today in 22 minutes which would have given me a pace of around 7 and a half minutes a mile. However the Gear Fit 2 showed that I ran 2.48 miles with a pace of 9 minutes!!! This is a major deal breaker for me in a FITNESS band. Anyone have any suggestions?!

Stevie V

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Android N user on Nexus 6p. Upgraded to DP4 and then got my Fit2 out the box 30 min ago. It's not connecting via Gear app. Yes I have the right app and yes I have BT on. I suppose I need to roll back to 6.0.1?

Update: fixed. Had to disable another Samsung related app.

Last edited:

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from a fitbit HR which started to get horrible battery life and very inaccurate, especially during workouts and sleep.

My only issues with the fit 2 are the calculation of floors climbed and the lack of continuous heart rate monitoring on the "other workout" category.

As someone mentioned, it takes like 3 floors for it to recognize one which is frustrating. Also, when doing weight training I have to start a workout as something else for it to track my heart rate throughout my workout which isn't the end of the world but sometimes I feel like the number of burned calories is a little low compared to the fitbit.

Other than those, I love it. I've been wanting this hybrid of smart watch and fitness tracker in a nice profile. I hope Samsung starts working on these issues and fix in a software update. I emailed them but ended up getting a canned response.

it seems like the calorie calculation is not based off your heart rate like fitbit, so the calorie counter is lower than Fitbit. I hope with a future update they will enable constant auto hr and caloric calculation via heart rate. the step counter might be more accurate than fitbits actually. I find that Fitbit is too sensitive and counts hand movements as steps. The Fit2 does not count my hand movements which is quite interesting and also does not take small shuffling steps like when you are standing from what I've noticed. My step count overall is lower than Fitbit's.

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Android N user on Nexus 6p. Upgraded to DP4 and then got my Fit2 out the box 30 min ago. It's not connecting via Gear app. Yes I have the right app and yes I have BT on. I suppose I need to roll back to 6.0.1?

Update: fixed. Had to disable another Samsung related app.

What app did you disable?

I've been having issues with the Fit2 Syncing with my S7 whenever I lose BT connection (moving far away from the phone or disabling BT). I've tried rebooting, clearing cache etc and it will have issues. However if I let it go and just do its own thing somehow it will sync up. I wish there was a better way to sync the Fit2.

Also another issue on the Gear app, I cannot get the App Layout to work. It keeps saying Gear Fit2 plugin has stopped prematurely.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
it seems like the calorie calculation is not based off your heart rate like fitbit, so the calorie counter is lower than Fitbit. I hope with a future update they will enable constant auto hr and caloric calculation via heart rate. the step counter might be more accurate than fitbits actually. I find that Fitbit is too sensitive and counts hand movements as steps. The Fit2 does not count my hand movements which is quite interesting and also does not take small shuffling steps like when you are standing from what I've noticed. My step count overall is lower than Fitbit's.
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they fix these issues soon.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
How's everyone's battery life? I can't get more than 2 days on mine which I'm OK with since it is more than just a fitness tracker but it is less than the 3-4 days advertised by Samsung

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
About one day on mine with Wake on Gesture On, Wifi ON, GPS, Notifications ON.

Disabled Wake on Gesture, GPS and Wifi last night and set the Screen to 2. Overnight with full charge dropped down to 82%.

KC_Prime

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I have been trying to find where to turn on/off "wake up gesture" since day one, it has consumed me. I work a lot with my hands and I feel that causes a huge drain in battery. I've tried looking in the Gear Manager under multiple drop downs to no avail. So if you can tell me where you got that I would be delighted.

Another issue I've been having is the sleep, recording one night and not the next, then even with a full charge I lose 12% battery overnight, I'm not sure if there is some adjustment I can make there to save some battery life, because I'm not seeing many adjustments I can make with the Gear Manager.

I'm used to the Sony Band, but was hoping the Fit2 would give me a little more than just 1.5 days of battery life. So, any help you can offer is appreciated. I love the advanced metrics I get with it, but every other day I get frustrated. I'm about ready to contact Samsung to see if I just got a defective unit or what.
Thanks

*EDIT* I just spoke with Samsung and discovered how to turn gesture on/off. I am hoping this extends battery life

Last edited:

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have been trying to find where to turn on/off "wake up gesture" since day one, it has consumed me. I work a lot with my hands and I feel that causes a huge drain in battery. I've tried looking in the Gear Manager under multiple drop downs to no avail. So if you can tell me where you got that I would be delighted.

Another issue I've been having is the sleep, recording one night and not the next, then even with a full charge I lose 12% battery overnight, I'm not sure if there is some adjustment I can make there to save some battery life, because I'm not seeing many adjustments I can make with the Gear Manager.

I'm used to the Sony Band, but was hoping the Fit2 would give me a little more than just 1.5 days of battery life. So, any help you can offer is appreciated. I love the advanced metrics I get with it, but every other day I get frustrated. I'm about ready to contact Samsung to see if I just got a defective unit or what.
Thanks
If you go to settings>device on the gear fit 2 itself you'll see the option to disable wake up gesture.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I noticed something interesting. So when I started a workout on a treadmill as running rather than treadmill, it seems that the calorie calculation takes the heart rate into consideration. I used a couple online calculators and the numbers were pretty close (fit 2 was 8 calories short).

In my week with this device, it seems that any machine workout listed will always show the same number of calories listed no matter how hard you push yourself. I've confirmed this with the elliptical workout too. Just somewhat confused as to why Samsung is doing things this way

xxryu139xx

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
interesting. i need to try this out later.

battery at 71% today from a full charge before going to sleep. gps off, wifi off, bt on, screen on 3 (cant see 1 outside), notifications on, vibrate on.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
interesting. i need to try this out later.

battery at 71% today from a full charge before going to sleep. gps off, wifi off, bt on, screen on 3 (cant see 1 outside), notifications on, vibrate on.
Not bad. I don't really use GPS so I don't think I'm really affected by it but I did notice that with WiFi off battery life did improve slightly