Gmail app/Google app keep crashing[Andriod webview causing issues]

luminousimpressions

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello guys, I'm having this issue but I don't have the Android WebView installed, like at all. It's not in my apps, it's not under my installed apps in the play store. I went to the page hoping I could install and the uninstall it but I dunno what to do. :O

oceanfire1

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Re: Gmail app/Google app keep crashing

How to uninstall? Went to Google Play store and found Android System Webview but can't find how to uninstall.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys, I'm having this issue but I don't have the Android WebView installed, like at all. It's not in my apps, it's not under my installed apps in the play store. I went to the page hoping I could install and the uninstall it but I dunno what to do. :O
Search for it in play store see if it comes up.that way

How to uninstall? Went to Google Play store and found Android System Webview but can't find how to uninstall.
It doesn't give option to Uninstall ?

Last edited by a moderator:

GDany

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Uninstall andriod webview
I'm sorry, but I do not understand what are you talking about. A friend of mine, has a Samsung S10E with Android 11, last updated today. He says that even before the update he has done today, he had the same symptoms you are having now and they started just yesterday. I instructed him to disable the Android system webview and it did not help. It is not possible to uninstall it, because it is a system app. After disabling it and restarting the phone the ASWV doesn't stay disabled. Also, disabling it doesn't help. I also checked on my Note 10+, which still has Android 9, and it is not possible to uninstall the ASWV, but only to disable it. I also found that in my phone it was disabled from a long time before, due to, probably, a previous bug.
So, what I don't understand is, how do you uninstall the module and on what operating system version do you have the problem.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I do not understand what are you talking about. A friend of mine, has a Samsung S10E with Android 11, last updated today. He says that even before the update he has done today, he had the same symptoms you are having now and they started just yesterday. I instructed him to disable the Android system webview and it did not help. It is not possible to uninstall it, because it is a system app. After disabling it and restarting the phone the ASWV doesn't stay disabled. Also, disabling it doesn't help. I also checked on my Note 10+, which still has Android 9, and it is not possible to uninstall the ASWV, but only to disable it. I also found that in my phone it was disabled from a long time before, due to, probably, a previous bug.
So, what I don't understand is, how do you uninstall the module and on what operating system version do you have the problem.
Go to google play store. Look for "android webview" under installed apps and hit uninstall. When I did that my "andriod webview" didn't uninstall but it uninstalled the last update. Phone back working fine now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Disable doesn't help , today you should see a update in play store for it .

To Uninstall 2 ways >play store and search it then open should have Uninstall.

2nd way go to apps list search it and open up., I put arrow leading to how to Uninstall .

I'm on android 11 One U1 3.1 Note20U , yours should be the sameScreenshot_20210323-160654_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210323-160659_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210323-160630_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg

oceanfire1

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site

No, not that I can see at least. Not sure what to do? Several apps not working now on my Android phone. Same on my wife's phone. Have to find a solution.

oceanfire1

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hmmm... I did manage to turn off auto updates for all apps since I am not able to turn off updates for Android System Webview app. Mysteriously, app functionality has returned now. Hopefully they will keep working.

Thanks for screenshot. My phone is Samsung Neo 5 and looks very different. The ASW app comes pre-installed and is not even listed under My Apps. I am going to try going on Play Store again and see if I can access uninstall that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

RollingProtocol666

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
For some if it works... go to 'Play store' then 'click the 3 line icon top right hand corner' then click 'My apps and games' then click 'installed' find 'Android Web view'... then uninstall.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Too bad I didn't know about any of this when it happened to me yesterday and I resorted to a FDR to resolve it.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Too bad I didn't know about any of this when it happened to me yesterday and I resorted to a FDR to resolve it.
Same for me! But my Moto Z3 is two and a half years old and has gotten two major Android updates plus all the security updates, plus all the apps I've installed and uninstalled. It was due for a freshing up and it's running like new now, lol.

kojita

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi all, I am also having this issue on Android 12 dp2 with the beta version of webview. I tried opting out from the beta of webview but this was already one day ago and it seems I am still in. Any clues ?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

Hi all, I am also having this issue on Android 12 dp2 with the beta version of webview. I tried opting out from the beta of webview but this was already one day ago and it seems I am still in. Any clues ?
I think you have to reinstall Android 11 if you are on the developer preview to opt out of the beta and revert.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android app issues

Uninstall andriod webview

I don't have any problem with my Gmail app. Where is this app you've mentioned ?. I checked the list of updated and installed apps in Google Play Store. It wasn't there . I typed it into the search bar, it showed up with no option for uninstalling it. I'm just curious.