Gmail App Icon

Mike NYC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Noob question here: I have the GMail app installed on my homepage, but when I receive an email, the app doesn't update with the number of unread emails that I have.

I'm coming from the iPhone, and this is what I mean: see the red number, indicating the number of unread emails that shows up alongside the GMail icon.

Is there anyway to enable this in Android?

Thanks!

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Click on the default mail app and set up your gmail account from there. It will show up just like the Iphones. The Iphone isn't a gmail app anyways.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The gmail app icon doesn't do that. I believe there is an app in the marketplace that will replace the icon and do just that.

Edit: here it is:

Gmail Unread Count - Android app on AppBrain

I've never personally used it.

I agree, this is your best option. I have done the exact same thing. After you download it click it and you can customize the gmail icon between 3D and 2D and different colors. I chose the 2D Red. Looks just like the gmail icon. So remove the default gmail icon on the homescreen and then add this gmail icon widget (gmail unread count) to the same screen and you are good to go. Just click it an it brings you right to your inbox.

Mike NYC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is your best option. I have done the exact same thing. After you download it click it and you can customize the gmail icon between 3D and 2D and different colors. I chose the 2D Red. Looks just like the gmail icon. So remove the default gmail icon on the homescreen and then add this gmail icon widget (gmail unread count) to the same screen and you are good to go. Just click it an it brings you right to your inbox.

Just did this, looks good so far. Many thanks!