Gmail widget does not resize on note with ics!

Ncoloss

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Newbie here.

Just upgraded to official ics via kies. Unbranded note in UK with Three. So far so good but for some reason the Gmail widget has a default size and pressing and holding has no effect. I mean the resize function does not work. A little weird since my wife has no problems resizing it on her galaxy s2.

Even on an empty home screen it always defaults to the same size about 3 x 4 and cannot be resized. Other resizable apps are fine.

Is this normal? How do I solve? I don't really want a launcher. Just want it to work as it should and does on my wife's s2.

One last thing is that ics seems to consume more energy than gingerbread. Battery life reduced by about 25 or more percent! Any tips?

Ta

Nick

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

dolwen

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same setup as you (unbranded note on 3), although upgraded through the regular software update. My gmail, mail, and bookmark widgets doesn't resize either. I haven't tried other widgets.

As far as battery life, I think my battery life has actually improved. I'm not sure why. The old setting to turn off background data use has been removed. However, in the 'data usage' setting you can set a data restriction to reduce background activity. I've done this. Maybe that will help you?
Rob

bentheslayer

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Three as well and have the ICS update. I must admit I'm having trouble figuring out how to re-size widgets, I'm new to Touchwiz and can't find any info on how to do it - any help would be appreciated! Whilst I was deleting the photo frame widget that came set up as standard I think I triggered the re-sizing as a bunch of yellow lines appeared? I've no idea how I did it though.

I'd have to agree with dolwen that my battery life actually seems to have improved since the update. I didn't have any issues with it anyway - it's a monster and I usually have about 20% left after 12 hours of moderate-heavy use.

Ncoloss

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Thanks. I weird thing is that I can resize the Samsung mail app for no problem.. Just find an empty home screen first. Apply widget which will default to big size. Then press and hold for 3 or so seconds and release. Grid lines then appear and you can resize. Then you can drag to new location.

I can do this no problems with Gmail on my wife's s2 but it doesn't work on the note as mentioned.

Good tip with the battery life btw. Will try.

Keep trying :)
Nick

Ncoloss

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys update via kies.? Was there just one update to ics or something a further update fix after that?

Or is there an ota update from 3?

Resizing widgets is little tricky. But just hold finger still for 3 secs or more then release. Grid lines appear. Pic up the great tab that appears and slide to the right size options as indicated by the gridlines.

bentheslayer

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a small OTA update (still Gingerbread) the day before. Then just the one update via Kies to ICS.

I just can't get re-sizing to work, I've tried holding my finger still and then releasing but the widget just returns to the home screen. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to get it working.

alanccs

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
same here..is not resizing i guess is the nature of gmail app that needs to update..anyone done successfully with note?

Ncoloss

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Still got same problem. Annoying because it resizes no problem on the wife's s2.
Stock email app does resize but doesn't update the widget properly. Very poor.
I am beginning to understand why iphoners stick with them despite their tiny size. Everything just works.

Ncoloss

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is better but still awful vs gingerbread. I could get 2 days of moderate use out of it then. Now I can't get from 8am until 4pm without recharging. All the power sapping apps disabled and all bloat disabled and all tips followed. Still very poor on ICS and it seems that the operating system is the main culprit according to the battery monitor. For me this really needs a big fix because it makes the phone operationally useless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mahendra K