Going from GS3 or Note 2 to the GS4 .... apps and app data. How?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a Note 2, with the pending arrival of the GS4, I am wanting to transfer my apps and app data from the Note 2 to the S4. Since Samsung Sync doesnt work for Verizon customers, it looks like we are left on our own to accomplish this.

I am going to try to use Helium to move my apps/data from the Note 2 to the S4. I have only backed up my Note 2 and have never used the restore feature. Has any one used Helium to move apps/data from lets say a GS3 to Note 2? Or restore a new Sammy phone?

How did it go? Are there any other options (preferable non-root)??? What's your plan?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So assuming you're not rooted...

The Play store will remember the apps you purchased and downloaded and will let you reinstall them, assuming you set up the new phone using the same Google account as the Note. As for app data, Helium is the only real solution I know of for non-rooted devices.

But, what version of Android is running on the Note? If it's not 4.2, you might run into issues trying to do a simple restore. My understanding (which could be wrong--someone else jump in here) is that the folder structure in 4.2 is different than in 4.1 and earlier in order to support the multi-user capability, and a complete restore can end up putting apps and data in folders that they shouldn't be in.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So assuming you're not rooted...

The Play store will remember the apps you purchased and downloaded and will let you reinstall them, assuming you set up the new phone using the same Google account as the Note. As for app data, Helium is the only real solution I know of for non-rooted devices.

But, what version of Android is running on the Note? If it's not 4.2, you might run into issues trying to do a simple restore. My understanding (which could be wrong--someone else jump in here) is that the folder structure in 4.2 is different than in 4.1 and earlier in order to support the multi-user capability, and a complete restore can end up putting apps and data in folders that they shouldn't be in.

2 Questions: Even if he is rooted, will Helium transfer any saved data, as that seems to be his larger concern? Would Titanium even work in this manner? I know Titanium can restore backed up data, but I have never tried transferring it.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently using a Note 2, with the pending arrival of the GS4, I am wanting to transfer my apps and app data from the Note 2 to the S4. Since Samsung Sync doesnt work for Verizon customers, it looks like we are left on our own to accomplish this.

I am going to try to use Helium to move my apps/data from the Note 2 to the S4. I have only backed up my Note 2 and have never used the restore feature. Has any one used Helium to move apps/data from lets say a GS3 to Note 2? Or restore a new Sammy phone?

How did it go? Are there any other options (preferable non-root)??? What's your plan?

I am guessing you have perhaps game saves that you don't wish to lose?

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen the new options within google account itself called Sync App Data? Give it a try the worst thing is you still have it on the other phone and you bring it over after...

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I paid for Backup Pro and I love it. I RARELY pay for an app, so this was a big leap for me, but it backed up everything very easily. I turned off backing up my pics (since I send them to Dropbox anyway), and my music (saved on my SD card), but to have my contacts, accounts and even my call history backed up and immediately working on my new phone was fantastic.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick