Good Read -- "The iPhone, the Pixel, and the tragic anxiety of having to choose"

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to swap between the two ecosystems all the time and actually enjoyed my iPhone pretty well. After the pixel 2 became a part of my phone stable I haven't been back since. Google really nailed it with the pixel. The iPhones were so smooth but the pixels have the smoothness factor covered completely. I've sold all my androids and keep my iPhone 7 as an emergency backup. No more swapping for me.
As for notifications I'm fine with either phone, but I don't do social media either.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
That article pretty much describes my thought process daily. I have the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 XL and switch between them multiple times per week. Lol

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hold my beer ...

I really like Vlad and his point of view on things. I always read his pieces. That said, while I feel his sentiment in that article captures a handful of users, Android will always be clearly superior to me. NO dilemma at all!

Vlad's article, while flirting with the iOS/Android conversation, doesn't get past the aesthetics enough for me. With the X, once you've gotten past the novelty of the UI, it's STILL iOS and iOS is too far behind Android for me to consider that system as my primary operating system.

I have an iPad 10.5 Pro. It's an amazing device. Build is incredible. BUT once I "get into it" with the device I'm reminded that to experience the tablet's full potential, I have to engage Apple's walled garden and that's where things screech to a halt. When I use the iPad, the UI feels so "behind" .. Like a step back..... Like someone feels like I can't make my own decisions about my tech services. It's THAT feeling, like I need a nanny to tell me what's best for me, that will forever be the thing that keeps me from fully engaging iOS in a meaningful way.

And to those misinformed that believe that Google's services/Apps are better on iOS, I say grab a Pixel. until Siri can fully function with Google and all it's services, I'm no buyer of "they're better on iOS" story. The Pixel is the optimum device for Google and all it's apps, bar none.

Great Article.. Appreciate the perspective, for sure... But I'll always choose intelligence and choice over aesthetics

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hold my beer ...

I really like Vlad and his point of view on things. I always read his pieces. That said, while I feel his sentiment in that article captures a handful of users, Android will always be clearly superior to me. NO dilemma at all!

Vlad's article, while flirting with the iOS/Android conversation, doesn't get past the aesthetics enough for me. With the X, once you've gotten past the novelty of the UI, it's STILL iOS and iOS is too far behind Android for me to consider that system as my primary operating system.

I have an iPad 10.5 Pro. It's an amazing device. Build is incredible. BUT once I "get into it" with the device I'm reminded that to experience the tablet's full potential, I have to engage Apple's walled garden and that's where things screech to a halt. When I use the iPad, the UI feels so "behind" .. Like a step back..... Like someone feels like I can't make my own decisions about my tech services. It's THAT feeling, like I need a nanny to tell me what's best for me, that will forever be the thing that keeps me from fully engaging iOS in a meaningful way.

And to those misinformed that believe that Google's services/Apps are better on iOS, I say grab a Pixel. until Siri can fully function with Google and all it's services, I'm no buyer of "they're better on iOS" story. The Pixel is the optimum device for Google and all it's apps, bar none.

Great Article.. Appreciate the perspective, for sure... But I'll always choose intelligence and choice over aesthetics

I'm not sure Vlad's article was supposed to cause a dilemma for you.

arc3484

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I have been toying around with switching to the pixel from iPhone. I have an iPhone 4S running 6.0 that I use for music at work, and that version of IOS seems so intuitive compared to my 7Plus. I miss that feeling from apple products and not to fond of the direction apple is heading. However I went to Best Buy yesterday and played around with the pixel and it's a nice device, but something about Android just seems choppy to me no offense. Maybe with Pistachio this year might have enough UI changes to sway me since my upgrade is due in Feb 19.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
As someone who owns both the Pixel 2 XL (for now) and the iPhone X, I can understand his frustrations. My dad passed away last month and I'm choosing to stick with the iPhone just because I have thousands of iMessages from my dad (yes, I could transfer them to Android, but I don't want to) and he used iPhone for years so I feel a kind of a connection with him using the X.

Sorry to hear about your father. :(

bluegreen1965

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I had a similar dilemma when deciding to upgrade in Dec. I drove my wife crazy because I kept flip-flopping which phone I was going to get (X/8+ vs Pixel 2 XL). I got the Pixel, used a few days, went back to my 6S for a few, then when I switched back to the Pixel again I was sold. Not that I don't miss the iOS emoji and iMessage, but overall I made the right decision. I can type so much faster with Gboard.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Notifications on iOS are pretty much a non starter for me. I turned them all off on the iPad Air 2 I have and I like using the tablet for entertainment consumption, emails etc.

Pixel 2 is my daily driver. I like how notifications are handled on it. I have always liked how Android has handled notifications from day 1. Also my spare line is an Idol 4S Windows 10 and the notifications on Microsoft OS are also slightly better than on iOS.

That's just my 2 cents on notifications.

Camera is quite important for me and the Pixel 2 just shines. Keyboard is also something I don't like on iOS and Gboard works well for my needs. And yes iOS is too locked down so that's one reason I stay with Android. If I paid a lot of money for a device, I would like to set it up the way I like it and the static grid with minor adjustments on iOS just doesn't cut it for me.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Notifications on iOS are pretty much a non starter for me. I turned them all off on the iPad Air 2 I have and I like using the tablet for entertainment consumption, emails etc.

Pixel 2 is my daily driver. I like how notifications are handled on it. I have always liked how Android has handled notifications from day 1. Also my spare line is an Idol 4S Windows 10 and the notifications on Microsoft OS are also slightly better than on iOS.

That's just my 2 cents on notifications.

Camera is quite important for me and the Pixel 2 just shines. Keyboard is also something I don't like on iOS and Gboard works well for my needs. And yes iOS is too locked down so that's one reason I stay with Android. If I paid a lot of money for a device, I would like to set it up the way I like it and the static grid with minor adjustments on iOS just doesn't cut it for me.
Agree a lot

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Having both iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL, it felt like me talking in the form of Vlad

Agree completely with his article.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not torn, I would never bother using iOS or anything in their ecosystem again...iTunes alone kicked me off the habit😃