Goodbye for now.....

powerbyte#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me along in my first experience with the HTC Hero. While I have decided to go back to my Pre for now, I did like the experience with the Hero, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me.
I was able to sell it for $305.00 on Ebay, and I only paid $1 for the phone, so that worked out real well. I'll be reading about the future of Android development on here, and looking forward to what happend.

Take care,
Robert

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Good luck Robert!

As much as I like the Android platform, I can see plenty of reasons why it's not for everyone.

Make sure whoever bought your Hero knows about AC !

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
No point in bashing anyone's personal preference of device. While one phone is amazing for someone, it doesnt meet the needs or criteria for the next person.

All we all want in the world is for everyone to have a smartphone they like, and oh yeah stay in the SmartPhone Experts forum world :p (best place to be!)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Wow! People are so nice here.

In the Pre forums there would have been a feeding frenzy of flames. :)

Good luck to the OP.

No offense to anyone but you are correct. The Crackberry and Pre forums get a lot of that. Has to do with a few different reasons. Size and people push the envelope without moderators stepping in. Pretty much a lose of control. Hopefully we will make sure people know to respect others in these forums. If they don't, we don't need them around. Simple as that. ;)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with the Pre, and I hope you never have to go through what I had to. I agree, Android isn't for everyone. I tend to have a Geeky side to me, so the Android platform offers plenty of that to me as UI isn't as important to me (I love Sense though!, probably because thats all I know with Android). Agreed, the people on Precentral are as rude as can be. People got into a nasty argument with me over build quality of phones during the round robin. Stating I most likely never owned a Pre (went through 5 and basically they said I was full of it). I have my receipts, and I'm happy with my Hero. I understand a lot of gripes, like, "how come that phone has the nice new polished OS and some Android devices are stuck in 1.5?" And "I need a Keyboard" but my priority is going to be, "Am I going to have to visit a Sprint Store/Call customer service multiple times a week causing my blood pressure to spike" But seriously, good luck. You may be getting a decent update tomorrow, hope none of it breaks your phone like they did on my phone.

powerbyte#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I tend to agree with you about rudness at Precentral (In FACT, I have been one of those people at a time or two, mostly due to just idiotic (IMHO) posts).

I have my 2 week after launch day Pre and I have had none of the issues that other people tend to have with their Pre's. I will say I am not a fan of the build quality of the Pre, but it's other points tend to serve me well.

I often say that people shouldn't leave goodbye posts, but I wanted to make sure that if anyone should read the post that they understand its a "preference" thing, not a "my phone is better than yours" thing....

I think I'll lurk around here for a long time like I said before...just to keep up witht he Jonses.....or do y'all want to be the Smiths?

soulfulzeta

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me along in my first experience with the HTC Hero. While I have decided to go back to my Pre for now, I did like the experience with the Hero, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me.
I was able to sell it for $305.00 on Ebay, and I only paid $1 for the phone, so that worked out real well. I'll be reading about the future of Android development on here, and looking forward to what happend.

Take care,
Robert

Take care...I myself have also left the HTC Hero alone. It was okay but the more I got used to my phone being completely touchscreen, the more I played with my son's iPod Touch and fell in love. So of course now I have the iPhone 3Gs and have left Sprint completely (Thank God)!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Take care,
Robert
I also left the Hero to go to the Pre. A week and 5 Pres latet, I realized that I had to come back. The Hero has its problems but nothing like the Pre. That device needs to be scrapped and redone.

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
To the previous Pre owners in this app (or previous android owners as well). I have one quick question for ya, how is the multi-tasking capabilities in the Android phones? At this point I'm very close to looking to make the move from the Pre to Android, but I'm not sure yet. The two things I feel I may miss:

1) "Multitasking"
2) Touchstone "wireless" charging - I have 3 of them at various strategic locations

However, the one thing I'm really disappointed in the Pre is the lack of application development by corporations. The must have apps that I have today on the Pre I am almost certain are available for android (YouView [YouMail] and DirecTV). But there seems to be more out there for the Android OS. Can that be confirmed?

The only question then, is wait for SuperSonic, or go with the Hero...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I would wait for the supersonic rather than get the hero.
Multi-tasking is just as nice if not better on Android when dealing with the web browser (the pre's browser has to reload the page when you go back to it).
There is no touchstone type thing. There's a mat with a univeral plug like thing that can do conduction charging... but you still have a plug which means its pointless. I miss the touchstone, but I got an innodock jr and now I don't miss the touchstone anymore. It can charge AND sync to pc (not possible on the touchstone). they are compatible with larger batteries unlike the touchstone (im using a 3500mAh battery). And its cheaper for each unit (with usb cable) than 1 touchstone without cable.
Youmail= available in the market... BUT visual voicemail is built into the Sense UI (works great, had google voice when gdial pro still worked on the pre). The google voice app works fine, but force close every reboot for me, not much of a problem, but a stupid pop-up came on the screen every time, and the stock VVM client works fine, so I ditched google voice for now.
EDIT: There is a DirecTV app now.
Hope I answered you're questions. I Have a Hero, I love it much more than a Pre, but I will probably get a Supersonic when it comes out. I went through 5 pre's for hardware issues so I was able to switch at no cost to me, which made me happy. I'd be glad to help you out with any other android ?'s I can answer.
Advantages of Android:
No patching for most things available from Patching WebOS. Even a tethering option is available in the market for free. If you root, you can do wifi tethering.
Themes, although I'm in love with Sense UI, you can add a home replacement and install themes without rooting.
Widgets are friggin awesome, 'nough said on that.
Honestly, the only advantages of rooting would be to try out other ROM's and take advantage of some root only apps in the market. Its not necessary in order to have a good experience on the device. The supersonic should feel much faster than the Hero, and will probably have other goodies to boot. 4G isn't going to be a selling point for me as no cities in Florida are on the list for being added yet, but if you are located in one of those lucky cities, then I would definitely wait for the SS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppletoDroid40