Question Google Assistant returns two contacts when saying Call Name

garybigs

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
I do not have duplicated contacts and only enter them as Firstname Lastname.

When I say Hey Google, Call Name the assistant returns two contacts every time 1) Firstname Lastnbame 2) Lastname, Firstname and asks me to choose. When I choose it does nothing.

If I open each contact detail is identical ... as you might expect when there is only one entry for each contact.

Is this a bug?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

A couple of things come to mind in this case. First be sure you're looking at the right app. If you have a Samsung the Contact app for it and Google look very similar. I often get them confused and end up making edits to the wrong one. So first be sure that you are looking at the right app. You could also go online and look at your contacts directly on Google. Online there is an option to merge duplicate contacts that might be easier to use than in the app.

The other thing that comes to mind is how many contacts does this happen for? Is it one specific contact or does it seem to happen to others as well? If it happens to multiple contacts it causes me to wonder if your assistant is also looking at another app like your Samsung Contacts? I can't think how you might disassociate that app from your Assistant... But for S&G look at your stock contacts app and see if it lists the names in reverse order.

Speaking of alternate contacts, how many Google accounts are you using on your device? It could be that garybigs01@gmail.com is one way and garybigs34 is another and because they are both being shared with your Assistant you're getting these multiple options. Check and possibly disassociate one or more of your side accounts from Assistant.

Let us know what you find.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201