Google cutting back on hardware (and Pixelbook) efforts

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Looks like someone did an actual inventory of Pixel Slate's that have either been returned or never shipped in the first place. I just hope they don't use their experience with the Slate as an excuse to give up on perfecting tablet mode for chromebooks.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

One thing to make of it is that the PixelBook will continue to be Google's flagship chromebook for quite some time.

Another thing to make of it is the possibility of 2-in-1 Chrome OS devices fading into the background to make way for the traditional clamshell design to come back to center-stage.

I love my PixelBook (especially for the killer price I paid for it). It is near perfect for what I want and need in a 2-in-1 device. The biggest deficiency of the platform (not just the Pixelbook but 2-in-1 chromebooks in general) is the lack of a quantity of quality apps that can take advantage of touch and active stylus.

By the time Chrome OS support for Android apps made it to the mainstream, tablet-optimized apps had pretty much disappeared. (due to the collapse of the Android tablet market)

This market collapse resulted in a paltry number of Android apps that could really shine on the PB. There are so few apps that support an active stylus... even fewer that support it well.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Me neither. The Pixelbook is an example of pure aesthetics and beauty. I love mine very much and I also paid a killer price for mine (£400 after sales, trade ins and selling a surface 3)

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
I feel as though Google has always made these type of devices to showcase their software, and it has made other manufacturers step up their game with higher end units and design.

The PB is an amazing device that (I feel) has made Chrome OS more "mainstream" and a viable option for people considering either a Surface Pro or an iPad Pro. Personally, I reach for the PB 95% of the time over my Surface Pro.

Now that I have added a Pixel Slate to the mix, (yes; tech junkie, I know) I find that the PB is getting less use around the house, but is still the "go to" device for my business needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny