Google Maps not talking?

Aggrovation

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently "upgraded" my phone from an old Moto Play Z to a Moto Edge+ (with Android 12) which is, as far as I have been able to determine, worse in every respect than the old phone.

In the currently most relevant case, I am planning a trip in the relatively near future and have been trying to get Google Maps (version 11.78.0301) to work for navigation. Once n a while the app will talk me through from start to finish, but usually not. I have searched for this subject and generally found some combination of "check the volume," "restart the phone," and "reinstall Maps." I have done all of those. I took the phone to my local Verizon store, where the guy there said I could pay them $30 to take a look, but he recommended that I just use Waze.

I have installed Waze. Waze does reliably talk to me, but I have been experimenting for the past couple of days and found that Waze often (generally!) picks suboptimal routes. For example, on a route that I am familiar with that involves some back roads, Google Maps routes me around a town of 7K but Waze appears to route me right through the town. Similarly, Waze often routes me (in town) in a more indirect path compared to Google Maps. Admittedly none of these is really critical, but Waze just seems less trustworthy on routes that I actually know. If I have to choose between an app that may take me by a slightly worse route or an app that won't give me voice directions when I need them, I guess I may have to choose Waze, but I'd rather have both audible and better directions.

So, does anyone have any additional suggestions for how to get Google Maps to talk?

Thanks,
Paul

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First things first -- when you're in Navigation mode, tap the speaker icon. Is it set to mute (icon with line through it), Alerts Only (icon with exclamation point), or Unmuted (icon with sound waves)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone connected to the car system via Bluetooth? If so, is your car system's audio input set to Bluetooth? If it isn't (e.g., if you're listening to Radio or CD), then you won't hear the navigation voice, since it's being transmitted via Bluetooth to the car system. You can change this in the Google Maps settings by going to the Navigation Settings, then turning off the "Play voice over Bluetooth" toggle. The voice will then play over the phone's speaker.

Aggrovation

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using Android Auto and it doesn't matter whether I'm in the car that has Bluetooth or the car that doesn't. Google Maps isn't working in either car. (And by "working" I mean talking. It shows the route on screen, but doesn't give voice directions.)