News Google might rebrand Nearby Share into something Samsung users know better

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
That's the Samsung Quick Share icon too. Google didn't just copy it without good reason.

Google's done this before. They convinced Samsung to deprecate their Samsung Messages apps. Convinced Samsung way back to kill it's movie rental service.

Nearby Share is also the name of the same Windows feature no one uses because it only supports Windows devices.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
All ready can.
Not Windows on ARM PCs though. Google doesn't support the platform.

Silly really when there's now a healthy amount of apps or ARM, including many VPNs that didn't used to work. 2024 is going to be a big year for ARM too.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Nobody uses ARM for now. Now that Qualcomm and nVidia have jumped into the ARM arena, that will change. If Intel keeps blowing ARM off, it will get kicked in the junk.

ARM is the future. Microsoft has recognized that and is starting to position itself to take advantage of it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Nobody uses ARM for now. Now that Qualcomm and nVidia have jumped into the ARM arena, that will change. If Intel keeps blowing ARM off, it will get kicked in the junk.

ARM is the future. Microsoft has recognized that and is starting to position itself to take advantage of it.
I suspect that Windows itself will become less popular in general. It will become something for work only since nobody needs it for personal use other than for gaming. Gaming will probably adapt to Steam Deck and similar handheld devices, so nobody will need a PC for personal use in the home.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I suspect that Windows itself will become less popular in general. It will become something for work only since nobody needs it for personal use other than for gaming. Gaming will probably adapt to Steam Deck and similar handheld devices, so nobody will need a PC for personal use in the home.
Doubtful. Nadella has done a great job at keeping Microsoft relevant. He learned some hard lessons when he dumped Windows Phone.

Reactions: bradavon

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I think handheld devices like Steam Deck will replace PC gaming, especially with Nvidia and AMD pricing GPUs so high that they are unaffordable to gamers. Also, both of those companies are more into AI than gaming.
Unlikely. There is also image and video editing, which is best done on a PC (either Windows or Mac). Phones and tablets are powerful, but they still haven't reached the level of performance laptops and desktops. Because even ARM CPUs require cooling. The more powerful the CPU the more heat it generates. That heat has to be dissipated. Storage is another factor; both in capacity and heat generation. Sure, cloud storage is great, but it is slow and if you get dropped offline, you lose access. Then there is battery capacity. The more powerful the CPU the more power it needs. More power capacity also generates heat and requires more space.

Nope. The desktop/laptop form factor running Windows or MacOS are not going away. If anything, ARM will give them a new lease.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Unlikely. There is also image and video editing, which is best done on a PC (either Windows or Mac). Phones and tablets are powerful, but they still haven't reached the level of performance laptops and desktops. Because even ARM CPUs require cooling. The more powerful the CPU the more heat it generates. That heat has to be dissipated. Storage is another factor; both in capacity and heat generation. Sure, cloud storage is great, but it is slow and if you get dropped offline, you lose access. Then there is battery capacity. The more powerful the CPU the more power it needs. More power capacity also generates heat and requires more space.

Nope. The desktop/laptop form factor running Windows or MacOS are not going away. If anything, ARM will give them a new lease.
Graphic artists, photographers, and musicians typically use Mac, not PC, and have no use for Windows. ARM will help Apple, but Microsoft will become what IBM is, associated only with corporate use. Microsoft is too late to the party, just like they were with phones.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Graphic artists, photographers, and musicians typically use Mac, not PC, and have no use for Windows. ARM will help Apple, but Microsoft will become what IBM is, associated only with corporate use. Microsoft is too late to the party, just like they were with phones.
That is actually more a myth than a fact. Macs have been hyped up as better for image and photo editing, but that is not true. Windows PCs are predominate in pretty much every market. Microsoft has already made Windows and M365 for ARM. As Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung, et. al. produce more CPUs, more OEMs like Samsung, Dell, Asus, et. al., will produce more laptops and desktops to use them. Microsoft will be right there with Windows. Furthermore, as more ARM devices get produced, the program and app developers will update their products to support ARM. Microsoft, under Nadella, has adapted pretty quickly. It's even jumped into Linux by providing support for it through WSL. It has jumped into Android with WSA. Like I said, Windows is not going anywhere, it will evolve like it always has.

It's Intel that needs to be careful. If it keeps blowing off ARM, it will get a hard kick in the groin. Intel needs Microsoft, Dell, Asus, Samsung, et. al., more than they need Intel.

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day when I can ditch my high end gaming PC so that I can play games on low settings on my Steam Deck.

^now that's sarcasm.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
It's because of the likes of Google they don't, the software must come first.

2024 will also be a big year for Windows on ARM too.

p.s. I use a Surface Pro X. For the areas Windows on ARM excels it easily beats anythig Intel and AMD offer. We now need the app emulation issue to follow.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Then why did Apple both porting ARMto their PC line?

Because consumers want and still need PCs too. Agreed laptop computing will decrease, as it already has, but th need for laptops especially remains.

Apple Siliicon did very little to shft Windows as the popular laptop operating system. The case for Windows on ARM to work is even stronger now than it was in 2019.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Firstly you frame business use like a small sector.

Secondly everything where a keyboard and trackpad beats a touchscreen keyboard and finger. Again you frame that like it's a small sector.
I only use windows for work. I actually use Linux on my computer for gaming
Ps.
I would happily move on from Windows if some of the programs and my IT dept would support Linux.
Which is dumb because even they admit they would move in a heartbeat if some of the stragelers would support Linux .

Last edited: