Google Pay - finicky?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else tried Google Pay on their watch? I've tried it 4 times, twice at a self-checkout and twice at a staffed register. The terminal at the staffed register for some reason didn't like the watch, but I believe the self-checkout did. I'll give it a try again Tuesday, at a self-checkout.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So... I used it today, same grocery store, worked like a charm at the self-checkout. I'll try again Saturday and see what happens at a staffed register...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got my watch (fastest delivery ever - FedEx shipping notification this afternoon at 2:20pm, delivered at 2:33pm). Will try out Google Pay later - I was a little thrown off when it indicated I actually had to call Amex to have them authenticate it (never had to do that with Google Pay/Wallet in the past - was always by a code), and especially annoyed by the same being required with my bank who says it might be done in 24 hours, but my confidence level on that call is low.

Either way, Amex is my principal payment so will be very pleased if that works.

Edit - tried it at the local grocer, worked fine. It'll be nice to be able to not stress if I leave my phone behind, in the car, etc, whether intentionally or not.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Tried it again today, had the card pulled up on the screen of the watch, placed it to the terminal at a staffed register and I got "there was a problem" on the watch. At the same store I can pay at the self-checkout using my watch and not have a problem. I wonder if it's that the cashier needs to select a payment type on their side before I put my watch to the terminal (the terminal is indicating to tap, swipe or insert the payment type though).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
does the terminal show you are paying with card? If so, then it is not a cashier issue but a terminal.

The terminal indicates to insert, swipe or tap payment, but never responds when I place the watch near it. The self-checkouts have the same credit card terminals, the only difference is that I've selected to pay by credit card on the register screen before placing my wrist near the credit card terminal.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I think some terminals just suck at tap or the casing is too thick or something. Go into any 711 and it's a struggle almost every time. If it doesn't read it the first time it helps if you give it a couple seconds before trying again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000