Google Photos

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I know this probably sounds like I don't know what I'm doing but I need help with my Google Photos. If I free up the 39.72gb space will that delete all my pictures and videos on my Galaxy S23+ or just from my Google Photos? I have tons of pictures, screenshots that are in My Gallery album, will those pictures be deleted as well or not affected? I'm afraid to hit that button and loose everything. Also my new Pixel 9 Pro XL has about 3 GB free space that could use freeing. Need help on this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240912_223249_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240912_223249_Photos.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Using the free up space feature will delete the photos that are backed up to Google photos from your device. Basically they are available on Google photos so no need to have the original taking up space on your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll echo IslandGuy's correct answer -- the great thing about the Free Up Space option in Google Photos is that it knows what you've already backed up to the cloud, so it'll intelligently delete those photos/videos from the local internal storage that it knows have been backed up to the cloud. So you can rest assured that selecting the Free Up Space won't make you lose any of your photos/videos.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I'll echo IslandGuy's correct answer -- the great thing about the Free Up Space option in Google Photos is that it knows what you've already backed up to the cloud, so it'll intelligently delete those photos/videos from the local internal storage that it knows have been backed up to the cloud. So you can rest assured that selecting the Free Up Space won't make you lose any of your photos/videos.
My main concern was that any pictures that's not backup to Google Photos will be deleted if I choose to free up space. Not every picture or video is backed up to Google Photos, unless they are backed up to Samsung Cloud.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My main concern was that any pictures that's not backup to Google Photos will be deleted if I choose to free up space. Not every picture or video is backed up to Google Photos, unless they are backed up to Samsung Cloud.
If Google Photos never backed up that photo, it will be left alone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if your space is full? Phones have more space than Google unless you are paying for tbe extra.
Are you asking what if the phone's storage is full, or if Google Drive is full? If a user is running low on Google Drive space, there will be ample warnings ahead of time. If the user fills up their Drive space and doesn't purchase more, then any existing data there will still be accessible, but nothing new can be stored. I've never been in that situation before, but I would assume that Google Photos would tell the user that new photos can no longer be synced unless the plan is upgraded or existing files in the cloud is deleted.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Verosmod