Question Google Play Services

Fred V1

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Will deleting Play Services App data affect other Google apps, such as Chrome, YouTube or et cetera? I'm quite hesitant doing it myself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What about all the Chrome tabs, accounts I've signed in (Yahoo, DeviantArt), and browser history?
If you are logged in to your Google account with sync enabled, that stuff should be fine, as it's backed up to your Google account. You will have to register for things like Google Pay again and if you have a smartwatch that will need to be reset. Honestly it's a big headache to clear Play Services data.

Reactions: J Dubbs

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest you stop trying to micromanage your phone and leave the Google Play Services app alone, or at least minimize your interactions with it by clearing the app's cache every so often.
Yeah it adds a bit of bloat, and apps like Chrome and Youtube will remain functional. but delete it and that will have a direct negative effect on some of the core Google services that are running in the background.
Also, it's likely to be a system-level app so deleting it will be a cumbersome project, at best you'll be able to Disable it. An aspect that might be a good thing as you can just enable it again once the installed Android operating system starts acting up after your disabled it.

Fred V1

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
I'd suggest you stop trying to micromanage your phone and leave the Google Play Services app alone, or at least minimize your interactions with it by clearing the app's cache every so often.
Yeah it adds a bit of bloat, and apps like Chrome and Youtube will remain functional. but delete it and that will have a direct negative effect on some of the core Google services that are running in the background.
Also, it's likely to be a system-level app so deleting it will be a cumbersome project, at best you'll be able to Disable it. An aspect that might be a good thing as you can just enable it again once the installed Android operating system starts acting up after your disabled it.
Not delete the app itself. I'm asking what happens if I clear the App's data.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Not delete the app itself. I'm asking what happens if I clear the App's data.
Ahh, my mistake.
Using Clear data will wipe the app's saved settings, config files, and the app's cache. Go ahead if you want, but in this instance it will repopulate the settings from your online Google account, and gradually rebuild a bloated cache again. With some apps, once you use Clear data, to use the app again you get to start over from scratch. This being a core Google app, your data is typically backed up in your online Google account. So it's a temporary fix to gain some free storage space but it is temporary. Some of what Clear data will wipe is stuff Google is data mining about your account on your phone and the phone specs.

Susan Drew

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Will deleting Play Services App data affect other Google apps, such as Chrome, YouTube or et cetera? I'm quite hesitant doing it myself.
You go to the app ,delete cache then storage then you don't shut off your phone you RESTART it right away. If you are trying to delete it permenantly ,I probably would not do that .But keep asking!

Munk.3

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
I'm pretty sure deleting it will cause you to have to re-sign into a couple of things, and get your device decently setup again. Doesn't google play services managed logged in accounts etc.. (and some backups of some apps if i believe)?