Google VVM vs VZW VVM?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question and a few other questions posted recently...

First of all, you'll want to install the Google Voice app on your phone if you want the full "Visual Voicemail experience". When you get the notification, just go to the voice app, and your message will be there waiting...just hit play. This is almost identical to Verizon's Visual Voicemail, you just go to a different app to get it.

Most of the settings for GV need to be setup on via the webpage.
https://www.google.com/voice
From here, you can establish what kind of supplemental notifications you want as well (GMail and/or SMS)

As far as the GV app "taking over your phone", that just seems ridiculous. I've been using it for months with no issues. Just be sure that your settings are configured accordingly. GV does have SMS options, but I don't use them...you don't have to either.

Thanks. About the greeting personolization... can you get "Google" out of it? The ony reason I ask is because I think it will confuse callers who might think they dialed the wrong number. I mean "Google who"?

-Frank
Okay, to answer my own questions (I couldn't wait -- haha!)...

Yes, after recording a personalized greeting (or simply your name, like I did) the "Google" ad is gone. Only your recording plays.

I have setup everything including downloading the Market app ("Voice") and I have found that it works just fine. Very nice. I've done all this without affecting my current VZW Visual Voicemail at all by simply not forwarding my Cell to my GV# (upon a missed call). Everything works fine but I have to call my Google voice number. But this is a good way for current VZW VVM customers (or anyone else) to test Google Voicemail without disturbing their current setup. If you decide to switch, simply set your Cell to auto-forward to your GV number upon a missed call. (*71<10digit#>). Use *73 to "unforward" if you change your mind. Note: *71 must be a GVVM specific call forwarding and must be used for GVM to work. The VZW "normal" forward number is *72<10digit#> according to the Verizon wireless instructions.

After testing, I can say, yes, it's a pretty slick service. The only slight reservation that I have is that the volume has to be turned up all the way 'cuz the GV voicemail volume is kinda low on the Thunderbolt for some reason. Not a big deal though. The "sound quality" is fine.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: worwig and recDNA

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Most of the settings for GV need to be setup on via the webpage.
https://www.google.com/voice
From here, you can establish what kind of supplemental notifications you want as well (GMail and/or SMS)

As far as the GV app "taking over your phone", that just seems ridiculous. I've been using it for months with no issues. Just be sure that your settings are configured accordingly. GV does have SMS options, but I don't use them...you don't have to either.

I have yet to see any SMS options on my Google Voice interface. Nothing on the web page. Nothing on the app. I have to wonder if this is some requirement from Verizon that once you forward your voice mail to Google, they agreed to disable texting through Google. Very odd.

It doesn't matter to me, I just wonder.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see any SMS options on my Google Voice interface. Nothing on the web page. Nothing on the app. I have to wonder if this is some requirement from Verizon that once you forward your voice mail to Google, they agreed to disable texting through Google. Very odd.

It doesn't matter to me, I just wonder.
I think he might refering to this on the GV web interface under Settings... Notice the "Notify me of new Voicemails via text". I turned this off.

GVMSetup.jpg

-Frank

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I think he might refering to this on the GV web interface under Settings... Notice the "Notify me of new Voicemails via text". I turned this off.

Click to view quoted image

-Frank

Yep. I don't have the "receive text messages on this phone" option either.
I have 'activated' it, so I suspect that is why.
Like I said. It doesn't matter. I'm just curious why I don't see it. I guess it might be handy on my WiFi only tablet.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess it's only fair, after all the concerns I expressed in this thread, to mention that I have converted to Google Voicemail. Pretty nice. I have "unsubscribed" to VZW's VVM which, when fully signed up for Google Voicemail, also disables your "normal" VZW voicemail.

I think what I like best about Google VVM is that you don't even have to listen to the voicemail most of the time, because you can see the transcript. I've found the transcript to be very accurate. Occasional wrong words, but not bad at all. You have a list of voicemails just like with VZW VVM except with Google VVM the transcript is also visible for each voicemail in the list. Very nice.

Plus... the Google Voicemail "Voice" Icon is cooler than the VZW one :)

20120111144527.png

Here is an example of what the Google Voicemail list looks like (and all my test calls with transcriptions of my voice :) ).

20120111160434.png

JFTR :)

Thanks all...

-Frank

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I don't have the "receive text messages on this phone" option either.
I have 'activated' it, so I suspect that is why.
Like I said. It doesn't matter. I'm just curious why I don't see it. I guess it might be handy on my WiFi only tablet.
I still have both those choices even after I activated it. I suspect the "receive text messages on this phone" means if actual text messages not associated with Google Voicemail are sent to your Google Voice number. Which I don't ever plan to use or distribute anyway.

-Frank

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just turned on GV for my voicemail... its very good. Don't know why I waited so long.

Only problem is the option to playback voicemail over the speaker doesn't seem to work 100% correctly. Its very very soft but I do hear something coming out of the speaker behind the kickstand. I'm guessing there is no workaround for this, right?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just turned on GV for my voicemail... its very good. Don't know why I waited so long.

Only problem is the option to playback voicemail over the speaker doesn't seem to work 100% correctly. Its very very soft but I do hear something coming out of the speaker behind the kickstand. I'm guessing there is no workaround for this, right?
My GVVM/Speakerphone is fine as long as I turn up the "in-call" volume. I usually leave it fairly low, but on speakerphone it needs to be turned up more.

-Frank

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
I was testing google voicemail tonight on my Thunderbolt, and I noticed that there is about a 5 ring delay between "missing" the call and the voice mail picking up...

Is the system just acting funky tonight, or is this standard?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplacey