Google's Support of the OG Pixels

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Question. Does anybody know if Google has made any new decision - or any public announcement - about how long support for the original Pixels will last? I know they did back when the phone was first released, but as we all know those things can change. Do we know for a FACT that Pie is the last new Android version that will land on the OG Pixels? Do we know for sure that we only have roughly a year left of security updates?

I ask only because I'm getting my Pixel XL's battery professionally replaced this weekend. I hoping it'll be a real shot in the arm for the phone, but, to be honest with myself, it'll be hard to keep it for long if it's seen it's last software upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Question. Does anybody know if Google has made any new decision - or any public announcement - about how long support for the original Pixels will last?
They came out with Nougat, so they should get updates to Oreo, Pie and "Q". (3 updates.) March 2019 is up now.

I know they did back when the phone was first released, but as we all know those things can change. Do we know for a FACT that Pie is the last new Android version that will land on the OG Pixels? Do we know for sure that we only have roughly a year left of security updates?
No - as you say, these things can change.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
OG Pixels are 2 years OS updates, 3 years security updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705#when_updates

Yep 2 os updates and 3 years of security/os refinements and improvements is what we get..... that's pretty standard in the industry, and actually better than some. We're still in the tiny percentage actually running Pie. I'm fine with Pie, it's a stable solid os that's running great on my OG pixel ;-)

We still have 7-8 months of updates coming, and even after that you'll be very secure unless you do something risky. I always keep phones regardless of whether they're being actively updated or not. I pick up last year's flagships for half price and keep them for 3-4 years...... makes owning nice phones very affordable without the manufacturer bending you over :O

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep 2 os updates and 3 years of security/os refinements and improvements is what we get..... that's pretty standard in the industry, and actually better than some. We're still in the tiny percentage actually running Pie. I'm fine with Pie, it's a stable solid os that's running great on my OG pixel ;-)

We still have 7-8 months of updates coming, and even after that you'll be very secure unless you do something risky. I always keep phones regardless of whether they're being actively updated or not. I pick up last year's flagships for half price and keep them for 3-4 years...... makes owning nice phones very affordable without the manufacturer bending you over :O
Being a Nexus and Pixel fanboy, though, I've become a sucker for having the latest OS version.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Being a Nexus and Pixel fanboy, though, I've become a sucker for having the latest OS version.
Since the pixel can be bootloader unlocked we'll probably see unofficial Android Q via custom roms that will of course also include future security updates as well... If your considering a new phone soon anyways no reason not to try it out.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since the pixel can be bootloader unlocked we'll probably see unofficial Android Q via custom roms that will of course also include future security updates as well... If your considering a new phone soon anyways no reason not to try it out.
I just downloaded the beta Android Q on my OG Pixel a few minutes ago

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
All Pixel phones ever? I thought that was only first said of the Pixel 3's (and beyond, presumably). Do you see that in print anywhere?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I saw it in writing that they would only Guarantee 2 years of version updates and 3 years security updates... Pretty open ended. They wouldn't guarantee they would do it dosent nessisarily mean they won't either though. Clearly looking good for us

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I saw it in writing that they would only Guarantee 2 years of version updates and 3 years security updates... Pretty open ended. They wouldn't guarantee they would do it dosent nessisarily mean they won't either though. Clearly looking good for us
That was my impression too. Getting this beta sure is a good sign!

radioactive70

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
"Google has already pledged that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 will receive three years of Android software updates."

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
sad i missed the fine print mentioned above...if google gonna bone me after 2 years, might as well just let att bone me for constant upgrades...