Question googling android questions

COKEDUDE

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
I usually prefer to google my questions before I ask on a forum. Sometimes google gives good answers and sometimes it does not. My most recent question was about "android auto lock". I thought this was a pretty straight forward question. I had to go through about 15 links before I found the answer I needed. Is there a better way to phrase the question to get the answer I need?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the setting to automatically lock the screen after a certain amount of time that the screen has been idle? That's a tricky one, because the search engine will often assume you're just talking about the screen timeout, and not the auto lock timeout. I think the problem is that the settings have names that are very similar. I tried a few different terms, and it was still misinterpreting. Using the term "Android lock out time" at least brought up this result as #2: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/increase-lock-out-time-android-30829.html

Reactions: Laura Knotek

COKEDUDE

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Do you mean the setting to automatically lock the screen after a certain amount of time that the screen has been idle? That's a tricky one, because the search engine will often assume you're just talking about the screen timeout, and not the auto lock timeout. I think the problem is that the settings have names that are very similar. I tried a few different terms, and it was still misinterpreting. Using the term "Android lock out time" at least brought up this result as #2: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/increase-lock-out-time-android-30829.html

Yes. I want to change the automatically locking after a certain amount of time. Whats the difference between screen timeout and auto lock timeout? I am getting similar google results. The link you just shared was the link I found that gave me the answer to my question :).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I want to change the automatically locking after a certain amount of time. Whats the difference between screen timeout and auto lock timeout? I am getting similar google results. The link you just shared was the link I found that gave me the answer to my question :).
Screen timeout is how long the phone waits while idle before turning the screen off. Auto lock timeout is how long the phone waits after the screen has turned off to lock the phone again. So let's say your auto lock timeout is 30 seconds -- if you press the Power button within 30 seconds of the screen timing out, then the screen will wake again without you having to enter your lockscreen PIN/password/pattern. If you press Power after 30 seconds from when the screen timed out, you'll need to enter your lockscreen PIN/password/pattern.

fuzzylumpkin was saying that since there is an Android Auto feature (i.e., the feature that connects your phone with your car's stereo system), searching with the term "auto" instead of "automatically" will tend to bring up search results for Android Auto.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej