Question GPay with Paypal.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
When I use GPay with Paypal, why doesn't it ask me which credit card I want to use, once I log into Paypal?

Normally when I use PayPal from a merchant directly, not through GPay, it asks me which credit card I want to use.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
With PayPal it asks what payment source you want to use based on what payment sources you have registered. So in PP you may have 8 payment sources listed and although it kind of gives you the option to choose a default, I think its just your last choice, all of those sources are stored in PP. If you've added your Google Pay account as one of those sources it just becomes one of the options. In GP you have the ability to choose a default. This is why you're able to just tap and pay with GP. It uses your default no ifs ands or buts. If you want to use an alternative pay source you need to make that your default prior to using GP.

This all starting to sound too complicated it may be better if I use examples.

Let's say you use your credit union account as default with GP. You go to a vendor and want to use your PP account to make the purchase and in your PP you want to use GP but you want to use your Discover card instead of your credit union. You would need to make your Discover account your GP default prior to this transaction. It see it as on source.

On a side note, I never thought of linking my GP account to my PP account. Not sure what the advantage would be given I use the same payment sources on both. Why go through the extra hassle of adding a Capital One account to both only to use PP which has the account to then access it through GP to pay a PP debit when I could just use my CO account directly through PP? Seems overly complicated for no benefit but hey it's not me.

GP is seen as one source on PP. Change the default prior to purchase is the only thing I can offer.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
With PayPal it asks what payment source you want to use based on what payment sources you have registered. So in PP you may have 8 payment sources listed and although it kind of gives you the option to choose a default, I think its just your last choice, all of those sources are stored in PP. If you've added your Google Pay account as one of those sources it just becomes one of the options. In GP you have the ability to choose a default. This is why you're able to just tap and pay with GP. It uses your default no ifs ands or buts. If you want to use an alternative pay source you need to make that your default prior to using GP.

This all starting to sound too complicated it may be better if I use examples.

Let's say you use your credit union account as default with GP. You go to a vendor and want to use your PP account to make the purchase and in your PP you want to use GP but you want to use your Discover card instead of your credit union. You would need to make your Discover account your GP default prior to this transaction. It see it as on source.

On a side note, I never thought of linking my GP account to my PP account. Not sure what the advantage would be given I use the same payment sources on both. Why go through the extra hassle of adding a Capital One account to both only to use PP which has the account to then access it through GP to pay a PP debit when I could just use my CO account directly through PP? Seems overly complicated for no benefit but hey it's not me.

GP is seen as one source on PP. Change the default prior to purchase is the only thing I can offer.
Thanks. There's a few merchants which accept GP, but not PayPal. So I tried to use PayPal through GP. But was disappointed it didn't ask me which card within PayPal I wanted to use.

I guess anytime I want to use a non default card, I'll manually enter the full card details.

For these merchants, I don't know that they only accept GP until I'm ready to pay. It's too much work to then change the default at that point.

If I used Google Wallet instead, would I be able to select a non default card?

I'm also asking because I have two mass transit cards. Both the same type of card, though. The difference is that one of them has a commuter line pass on them, so I want to use that card when I'm using certain lines, and the other card during non commute times. I can't merge the cards since the commuter one is through my employer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair