GPS issue question

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!
I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue like this. I depend very heavily on the GPS in my phones and haven't had a problem with mine on my N3. Well, that is until recently.

I use a mileage tracking program to track my trips for business purposes and I also use, until recently, Google Maps to get around. I switched to Waze for mapping now. Until about 2-3 weeks ago, everything was fine, but now, my phone keeps loosing GPS lock. It doesn't seem to bother my mileage tracker, but it plays havoc with Waze and Google Maps! So far, I've been able to figure out when it goes offline, where I'm supposed to be. I see the little GPS indicator blinking when it's stopped the app, so I know it's not the app. Thinking MAYBE it could be Waze, I switched back to Maps just to test, and sure enough, it didn't help. I still lost GPS lock.

We've been having all this weird weather...could that be it? or has anyone else seen issues with their GPS not keeping lock?

Thanks!
Bruce

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had your GPS connection issue, but have you tried rebooting. Works more often than I care to admit. It may have something to do with where you are and the phone's ability to locate satelites, but I'm reaching a bit here without a great deal of details.

I love Waze... guessing it won't be too long before GMaps and Waze are one and the same.

Good luck.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

No, I've not recently changed cases. When I bought my N3, I go this case. I thought about that as a possibility. Maybe today I'll try navigating without a case on, to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it will, but...who knows! I had thought it could be because we've had terrible weather lately, but yesterday couldn't have been prettier, and I still had that problem. The really frustrating part is once I start my 'trip', it works great! Everything stays connected...it's beautiful! Then it starts dropping GPS. then usually, as I get closer to my destinations, it stops working altogether, NO GPS connection at all! Usually I know where I'm going, but I use Waze to catch traffic issues or guide me in the BEST route. But sometimes, that's not the case and if it was acting like that, I'd be screwed!

I have a short day at work today, so when I get back later this morning, I think I'm going to call VZW and see about a warranty replacement. I can only think it must be something with my phone that is the issue, if no one else seems to be having this trouble.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Don't normally use GPS maps apps. But I do use SpeedHud every once and a while since the speedometer on my Jeep isn't all that accurate. Lately I have noticed its speed jumping all over and I attributed it to the cloud cover (which does affect GPS), but it could be a similar issue to what you're having. Although I do reboot my phone every morning.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh...that's another thing I forgot to mention. I do reboot my phone every so often, although not on a regular basis. One time when I was on a long-ish trip, and the GPS wouldn't lock, I took the time to stop GPS, reboot my phone and relaunch the app. It didn't help.

I'm going to see what happens today and maybe call VZW.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought it may be a Waze issue, but it happens now when i use Google Maps too. It doesn't bother my mileage tracker though. I even see the GPS indicator show flashing when this h happens. Would seem to indicate a phone problem.

I just ran it without a case on a totally cloudless day and it still happened. I'm going to call them rust and see about changing phones.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I thought it may be a Waze issue, but it happens now when i use Google Maps too. It doesn't bother my mileage tracker though. I even see the GPS indicator show flashing when this h happens. Would seem to indicate a phone problem.

I just ran it without a case on a totally cloudless day and it still happened. I'm going to call them rust and see about changing phones.

I guess I don't pay attention to the GPS indicator while driving.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
LOL! I usually don't, but with these issues, I have been, to a point. Just trying to see if it is an app issue or the phone issue

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL! I usually don't, but with these issues, I have been, to a point. Just trying to see if it is an app issue or the phone issue

One thing that may help pinpoint the problem is to try a GPS specific app like GPS Status. If it can get signal while the problem app cannot, may help to narrow down the problem. It also has an option, per the apps description - to calibrate or reset the GPS, or sensors. I wouldn't do this last step as it may not be needed depending upon what general troubleshooting reveals.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
One thing that may help pinpoint the problem is to try a GPS specific app like GPS Status. If it can get signal while the problem app cannot, may help to narrow down the problem. It also has an option, per the apps description - to calibrate or reset the GPS, or sensors. I wouldn't do this last step as it may not be needed depending upon what general troubleshooting reveals.

Oh...thanks! I'm going to try that tomorrow. I do have a replacement phone on the way for a warranty replacement, but if this reveals something different,then maybe I won't have to redo my phone! I don't believe it's app specific, cuz it happens on Google Maps as well as Waze. But this is worth a shot. Thanks!

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I just maybe have made a revelation! I normally lay my phone on my lap as I'm driving. I've done this with just about every phone I've owned. Well, I was just on a trip and noticed I was having the problem with the GPS connection issue. Every time I picked it up to look at the phone , it would connect! When I would lay it back down again , within just a couple of minutes, it would show no GPS connection.

So I'm wondering, with this particular phone does the GPS need to be pointed up? Or is this a problem with my particular unit? I just received a replacement in today from Verizon and as usual, it's a "certified like new" . In other words, a refurbished item. That always angers me since I paid for a new phone!

I'm wondering now if I should bother even activating the new phone. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted via Android Central App

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Mine sits right in front of the speedometer on my Jeep (always showing a speedometer of its own) so I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I just maybe have made a revelation! I normally lay my phone on my lap as I'm driving. I've done this with just about every phone I've owned. Well, I was just on a trip and noticed I was having the problem with the GPS connection issue. Every time I picked it up to look at the phone , it would connect! When I would lay it back down again , within just a couple of minutes, it would show no GPS connection.

So I'm wondering, with this particular phone does the GPS need to be pointed up? Or is this a problem with my particular unit? I just received a replacement in today from Verizon and as usual, it's a "certified like new" . In other words, a refurbished item. That always angers me since I paid for a new phone!

I'm wondering now if I should bother even activating the new phone. Has anyone else noticed this?

Mine sits on my lap whilst I drive, occasionally it sits on top of my purse on the passenger seat. I have no problems with the signal - or having it give me directions via street names. Perhaps it's the area you live in? I know my bf and I had some problems with it getting a signal whilst we were on long island a week or so ago, but back home (San Diego, CA) we don't have any problems (both my bf and I have note 3s).

Hope you get your problem sorted, the people on here have helped me out a lot when I've had an issue or problem.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to VZW and they said this was the first time they heard of things like this. (isn't that the usual response! LOL) I like in Houston TX, so there should be no problem with getting a signal. Plus, with my Note 2 and previously, my S3, I handled my phone the same way, so it has to be an issue with this handset.

I changed it out, activated the replacement and we'll see what happens in the next few days. Thanks to everyone that has responded!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It's an off chance thought, but I wonder if the GPS in the phone needs "clear line of sight" to the sky.

I know that in my house near a window, I get zero GPS satellite lock. This has been the case with an S3, Note 2, and Note 3. The reason I get zero lock is because our roof is aluminum. I think that combined with surrounding tree cover is enough to create a "no line of sight" scenario.

So it may be worth a try to locate the phone in a location in the vehicle such that there is some possibility to get at least some clear line of sight.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
For all of you that were nice enough to try and help, I thought I'd give a follow up. I got my replacement device in yesterday and used it all day today. Never lost a signal once! So it was definitely a defective device!

Thanks again for all the help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers