gps must the wifi be on when using

kaschiro

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am new and I have lots of questions....
When I use maps must the wifi or data(4lte) be on ?
what is the best free navigator app to use?
I am told that I can talk to anybody that has a cell phone, is this true and if so how?:)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am told that I can talk to anybody that has a cell phone, is this true and if so how?:)
Welcome to the forums! To answer your questions:
1. Yes, you need a data signal for Maps to pull up a particular area. This means having a wifi or lte signal - without it you will not be able to load maps, directions, etc.
2. Google maps has built in navigation and is great.
3. I don't think the Tab 2 10.1 has built in radio. This means you can't talk to anyone with a cell phone unless its using voip. At which point its not a cellular signal, but a data signal and you'll need a service like Skype, GVoice or other to communicate with other people.

Hopefully this answers your questions. If you have further questions let us know.

kaschiro

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply....it was much faster than anticipated and very accurate as well...I have tried other forums and they do not compare to this
Kas

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Kas,
"navigator " that you can download from the playstore, allows you to install country specific maps. You can install the map to the external sd card. Then you do not need an www connection. If you choose to keep the 4lte on no data will be used.
As for phone use, you have to have normal airtime on you 4lte simcard. From the app drawer activate the phone by tapping the phone icon and place call as per normal.
Regards
Spikes

kaschiro

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Kas,
"navigator " that you can download from the playstore, allows you to install country specific maps. You can install the map to the external sd card. Then you do not need an www connection. If you choose to keep the 4lte on no data will be used.
As for phone use, you have to have normal airtime on you 4lte simcard. From the app drawer activate the phone by tapping the phone icon and place call as per normal.
Thanks for the tip...I only have a 2 gb card in there ...........has to wait til I get a larger card......Phone Icon.?? I have a tablet and there is not phone Icon there....unless I missed something
Kas

Regards
Spikes

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Tap the square blocks in the top right hand corner of a screen. That will open up at least two pages of apps that Samsung stuck on your tablet + anything that you have downloaded./ If you tablet has a Simcard (Which I guess it has from your reference to 4Lte), you will see a Phone icon on one of the pages.

Spikes

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that looks like a phone is called a video phone is that what you mean

Kas

Posted via Android Central App

See attached. This on the GT-P5100. See phone icon in the middle.

Spikes

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-04-07-07-45.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-04-07-07-45.png
    680.6 KB · Views: 8

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Oops! As this is the Tab2 10.1 section of the forum, I assumed that is what you had and was referring to as well.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao