GPS tracking on Droid X

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had problems with the GPS on the Droid X. Mine takes about 5 minutes to lock onto the signal and even then I haven't seen it better then 10m accuracy. I use My Tracks all the time to record my Bike rides but my Droid X seems to loose signal on about every ride I do corrupting the data.

Yesterday i did a 40 mile bike ride and within the first 10 miles it thought I went 243 Mph so I started it over again at my first stop. Then in the next 10 miles it thought I went 61 Mph so I started it over again. Miles 20-30 actually didn't have many problems except for one section where it plotted me about 2 blocks off the trail. Then on Miles 30-40 it thought I did 182 Mph. This trail is very shaded but I've done the same ride multiple times before with my Nokia n78 and didn't have any problems like that. I also had a Droid Incredible before exchanging it for the Droid X and the Incredible seemed to have amazing accuracy on GPS.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen problems like that or if I have a defective Droid X?

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Except for it taking a while to get a lock at times I haven't had any issues with accuracy and I use mine quite often.

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
Mine takes a little longer than my blackberry to lock on but it's accurate to 2 meters.usually puts me in peoples front yard instead of sidewalk. Do you have a lot of trees where you bike?

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
There was lots of trees where I was riding yesterday but like I said I've done it before with other GPS that haven't gone crazy. My Nokia n78 would sometimes give me bogus numbers like that but it was normally because I didn't give it enough time to lock on at the start but after that it would stay locked. I just have never seen this many problems with gps and it's really frustrating since I use it 2 or 3 times a week for this.

Right now I'm just debating if I should try to exchange it for another one or just live with it.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
no problem using 'my tracks' app regularly for rides. maybe 6-8 times, 60-100mi, always complete & accurate (as compared w/wireless cyclocomputer).

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
How long does yours take to lock on dookie?

The 6-8 rides at 60-100 miles seems like a really good sample set to compare too. Was any of that in trees or overcast? Thanks for the reply.

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If you go into location and security settings, do you have all 3 GPS options enabled? If not, I would turn them on.

Yea I have all 3 GPS settings turned on. That's actually one of my complaints about this phone. The GPS widget turns off all 3 but only turns the GPS satellites back on. I found a new widget that just takes me to GPS settings instead of the stock GPS widget.

I also tried playing with the Battery Profile settings since I normally run on Smart Mode and put it on Performance Mode and that is when I got the 182 Mph. I'm not sure if that actually does anything to the GPS since it only talks about data but I figured it was worth a try. All the settings in My Tracks are on the recommended settings too.

Rachus

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance of it's full function, but perhaps a "Calibrate compass" would help? (below those 3 GPS settings)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
That's really weird. Mine works perfectly (which I know doesn't make you feel any better). Assuming you are not using a task killer/manager or any 3rd party app that could be interfering, you might consider an exchange.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine works great and usually locks on within 5 seconds, even if I'm inside my house. I also find that it's usually accurate to within 6 or 7 meters. Much better performance than the GPS on my BB Tour.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I have this issue after the first time using after rooting. I just back out then turn off the gps then on again. Works quickly after that with no issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine works great and usually locks on within 5 seconds, even if I'm inside my house. I also find that it's usually accurate to within 6 or 7 meters. Much better performance than the GPS on my BB Tour.

That's exactly the way I would have described GPS working on the Droid Incredible, but this Droid X is far from that experience.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Maybe I'll try a Factory reset and if that doesn't do anything I'll exchange it.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
How long does yours take to lock on dookie?

The 6-8 rides at 60-100 miles seems like a really good sample set to compare too. Was any of that in trees or overcast? Thanks for the reply.

15sec, tops...usually almost instant. routes are sometimes heavily treed, but not always. the sky is always visible, but rarely unobscured.

Last edited:

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

+1
I had a bold 9700 and my X is a much better GPS experience!
And depending on the area of the house, I'm between 5 and 10 seconds to get GPS lock.
Very accurate EVEN in house. I can pretty much tell which room I'm in when looking at the satellite layer.

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I finally found the time to do a factory reset and it looks like that fixed my GPS problem. It now locking onto the satellites within about 15 seconds while sitting inside my house, when before it took about 5 minutes in the open sky. I'll still have to go for a bike ride to check the accuracy but it looks like it's fixed. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've noticed that my DX is having trouble locking onto my GPS signal. Google Maps takes forever to locate me, and Foursquare keeps saying that I'm not where I say I am.

I've heard that task killers can make a phone act "strange," and I do have ATK installed, but I only kill apps manually and I've unchecked 4sq and maps.

I got GPS Test from the market, and it shows a decent level of accuracy... And when the GPS works, it works like a dream. But I feel like it's been having a harder and harder time lately.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mine doesn't work if WIFI is turned off. It's pretty stupid but after a full day of not being able to lock on and not being able to figure out why turning wifi on "fixed" it.

EDIT: Mine locks on instantly, there's no delay whatsoever inside my house. I open maps and bam i'm locked on... only if WIFI is ON though.... which is very weird.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgegerta08