GPS tracking on Droid X

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've played around with the GPS locally and never had an issue with it.
but this weekend I traveled to new york / new jersey area (10-12 hour trip) and used it extensively on the way here and have used it around town.
I have been extremely annoyed with it.
It has FC many many time. It has locked up several times, it has lost the GPS signal many times and has given wrong directions and has performed to slowly to give accurate directions.

it worked pretty good on the highways here. but once in the towns here, it started to fall apart on me.
I took the wife out for dinner last night and as we were driving through a city in jersey, it would say turn on a street AFTER we had passed it. and then you have to wait for it to recalculate.

the worst is when we leave the hotel, I'm sitting in the parking lot with no obstructions, it would say "your location is temporarily unavailable".
several times I've had to power fail the phone to get it to work correctly.
not a good thing when you are driving around and don't know where you are going and your gps craps out on you..

very displeased with the GPS/google nav on this trip.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I use it daily without issue and it works even better than my Garmin units. I say better mainly due to the instant traffic updates. If it weren't for the traffic updates, I'd say it was equal to my Garmins.

As far as "accurate directions", the unit always gives what it thinks is the best route to your destination. You might not always agree, but it will get you there. For example, I don't agree with the route it gives for me to get home from work, but you can choose alternate routes on the same screen as you can see the traffic. Just click the time and there's a square looking icon that you can press to choose different routes.

I do wish it allowed you to set more preferences in route determination.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've played around with the GPS locally and never had an issue with it.
but this weekend I traveled to new york / new jersey area (10-12 hour trip) and used it extensively on the way here and have used it around town.
I have been extremely annoyed with it.
It has FC many many time. It has locked up several times, it has lost the GPS signal many times and has given wrong directions and has performed to slowly to give accurate directions.

it worked pretty good on the highways here. but once in the towns here, it started to fall apart on me.
I took the wife out for dinner last night and as we were driving trough a city in jersey, it would say turn on a street AFTER we had passed it. and then you have to wait for it to recalculate.

the worst is when we leave the hotel, I'm sitting in the parking lot with no obstructions, it would say "your location is temporarily unavailable".
several times I've had to power fail the phone to get it to work correctly.
not a good thing when you are driving around and don't know where you are going and your gps craps out on you..

very displeased with the GPS/google nav on this trip.

I've had similar troubles; when the app works it's excellent. The problem is the app rarely works.

I've used Maps with nav the last two weeks for business travel. It has frozen two or three times. It has "lost focus", either going into phone standby (screen off) or dumping me back to the six-button car dock screen, too many times to count. Lately it dumps me back to the car dock screen in about five minutes, but it has happened in as little as 30 seconds. If I check the notification bar, I can touch the nav to resume.

It has only worked perfectly for me two or three times.

If you get a notification, the app will lose focus in one of the two ways I mentioned. If you clear it from the notification bar, it still may lose focus.

Huge disappointment so far. Nav needs A LOT of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777