Gps turns on when phone unlocked

xdayveedx

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, Just got my moto x and i seem to be having a problem. I had a bamboo back, and it started to peel so i got a new one today, set everything up, exactly the same as the old phone, and now i have a weird gps problem.

Everytime the phone is unlocked, by the power button, or using moto display, the gps icon shows up right next to the 4glte for about 2-3 seconds, and then goes away. The original phone i had did not do this and i dont believe its normal.

anybody have ideas what it might be? I only have about 3 apps installed (same as the original phone) and im pretty sure none have access to gps.

thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What is your Location service set to--High Accuracy, Battery Saving, or Device Only? Go to Settings>Location to check. If it's High Accuracy or Device Only, that means the GPS antenna is activated, and you'll see the icon appear in the status bar when the phone is using GPS. If you choose Battery Saving, you won't see that icon.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Mine does this as well since I am using the high accuracy setting. It's weird though since my Nexus 4 doesn't do it in the same setting. I wonder if Moto Assist is the one calling for GPS. On my location setting menu it's the dialer app that shows.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
A likely suspect could be a weather app. Often times they default to 'refresh on unlock,' so if you're using geo-location for reporting that combo would do it. If it's not that, there is some other app that refreshes on unlock that also requires gps.

xdayveedx

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
not using any weather app.
Only apps i have downloaded at the moment are andbankbook (checking account manager), batterybot, and powerful controls. I checked them all and they do not require gps.
The gps seems to be working, when i load up maps, or use voice search, it shows in the status bar that it is on, but as soon as i close out of the app, the gps symbol turns off.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Suppose it could be Google Now. I think location settings will give you some info on app usage of location services.

xdayveedx

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
yeah im not sure. I have google now turned off
ive tried a lot to figure it out, and appreciate the help here. so thanks everyone. But i called motorola and they are going to send out a replacement device. This device got really hot to when charging the first night, and there a just a few little things about it makes me think it might be a problem device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure Location Reporting is turned off in Settings/Location.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In that menu, it should tell you what apps have been accessing location.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

apuraja25

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, Just got my moto x and i seem to be having a problem. I had a bamboo back, and it started to peel so i got a new one today, set everything up, exactly the same as the old phone, and now i have a weird gps problem.

Everytime the phone is unlocked, by the power button, or using moto display, the gps icon shows up right next to the 4glte for about 2-3 seconds, and then goes away. The original phone i had did not do this and i dont believe its normal.

anybody have ideas what it might be? I only have about 3 apps installed (same as the original phone) and im pretty sure none have access to gps.

thanks in advance.

After updating my Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android Lollipop on VZW network, I saw an option to enable Google Smart Lock. I turned it on and I kept noticing the GPS icon for 2-3 secs as you described after each unlock. I remembered that was the only thing I changed and once I turned it back off, the GPS icon stopped popping up after each unlock.

How I found that setting on my phone:

Settings > Security > Advanced (heading) > Trust Agents > Smart Lock (Google) > Toggle Off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance