GPS while in airplane mode?

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to make the GPS work when the phone is in airplane mode? I don't see why the GPS should be disabled but it seems to be on my phone.

wyllic

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
far as I'm aware airplane mode shuts off data and calls. gps needs a constant data stream to update your position, update traffic, etc so none of that would work in airplane mode

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
far as I'm aware airplane mode shuts off data and calls. gps needs a constant data stream to update your position, update traffic, etc so none of that would work in airplane mode

lets examine this.

airplane mode: you put your phone in airplane mode so your phone wont interfere with the plance communications and, you guessed it, navigation. :D

gps: a satalite navigation system.

thanks folks, ill be here all night.

or atleast until my wife makes me get off the computer.:(

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
lets examine this.

Airplane mode: You put your phone in airplane mode so your phone wont interfere with the plance communications and, you guessed it, navigation. :d

gps: A satalite navigation system.

Thanks folks, ill be here all night.

Or atleast until my wife makes me get off the computer.:(

ha ha ha ha ha!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Even if you could have GPS on while in Airplane mode, I don't think it would work very well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your phone uses cellular towers to triangulate your position, along with a GPS signal to give you an accurate enough reading for things like Google Maps or Navigation.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
GPS on a plane

FYI: a regular satelite GPS can be used on most airlines except during takeoffs and landings. I have done it many times. Of course you have to have a window seat. I know Delta has allowed it.

Now I do understand why a cell phone GPS wouldn't work (smile).

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
FYI: a regular satelite GPS can be used on most airlines except during takeoffs and landings. I have done it many times. Of course you have to have a window seat. I know Delta has allowed it.

Now I do understand why a cell phone GPS wouldn't work (smile).

:p:p:p

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
If you are on a plan do you really need gps? I mean is the pilot that drunk that you may need to jump in and fly?!?! Just wonder you are pretty much stuck going where ever they fly.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've used My Tracks by Google in the Colorado mountains before and while going in and out of signal, still had an accurate track log. At least from what I could tell. I think you need cell signal to get an accurate position, but if it drops out the GPS will be sufficient...at least for a short period of time...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've used My Tracks by Google in the Colorado mountains before and while going in and out of signal, still had an accurate track log. At least from what I could tell. I think you need cell signal to get an accurate position, but if it drops out the GPS will be sufficient...at least for a short period of time...

There is a large area in the Smoky Mountains national park with no service. (for any carrier BTW).
I can fire up CoPilot and the GPS will work just fine with no cell service.

For some reason, the Samsung programers decided to turn off the GPS receiver in flight mode. Odd.

I've used a Garmin GPS on flights before. Interesting to know exactly where you are and to have a max speed record of 560MPH. :D

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The phone does carry a semi-proper GPS module on board. It should work just fine as long as you're not using internet dependent mapping when you're out of cell service. The aGPS from the towers is just supplemental basically. You can have proper location reads just fine without a map to lay them over. I know me and my dad have both downloaded normal atlas style maps that don't require any internet so we can navigate where ever out here in BFE.

Remember kids, carry your weapon loaded, the bears around here hate having to chamber a round.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are on a plan do you really need gps? I mean is the pilot that drunk that you may need to jump in and fly?!?! Just wonder you are pretty much stuck going where ever they fly.

You don't "really need GPS". For some of us GPS nerds, there's just something kind of cool about watching a GPS receiver while flying along at 530 MPH.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The phone does carry a semi-proper GPS module on board. It should work just fine as long as you're not using internet dependent mapping when you're out of cell service. The aGPS from the towers is just supplemental basically. You can have proper location reads just fine without a map to lay them over. I know me and my dad have both downloaded normal atlas style maps that don't require any internet so we can navigate where ever out here in BFE.

Remember kids, carry your weapon loaded, the bears around here hate having to chamber a round.

Where did you find the download for the atlas map?

m0nti13

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just as an FYI to this conversation... GPS as a system is a reciever only based system, meaning there is no signals being sent out of your phone/gps unit in order to get positioning information... The satelite sends data, you recieve it, that's all, so there is no reason to turn off your GPS radio... aGPS is an enhancement to the system used by devices with a cellular radio to more accurately and quickly filter the ephemerous data being recieved from the satelites to a more precice position on the planet, essentially instead of waiting for the costelation data (map of where the satelites are in the sky) from the satelites themselves, the cell towers provide it, and help pinpoint what satelites should be in contact...

Bottom line, since the GPS radio is a reciever only, it will not effect any plane communications...

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just as an FYI to this conversation... GPS as a system is a reciever only based system, meaning there is no signals being sent out of your phone/gps unit in order to get positioning information... The satelite sends data, you recieve it, that's all, so there is no reason to turn off your GPS radio... aGPS is an enhancement to the system used by devices with a cellular radio to more accurately and quickly filter the ephemerous data being recieved from the satelites to a more precice position on the planet, essentially instead of waiting for the costelation data (map of where the satelites are in the sky) from the satelites themselves, the cell towers provide it, and help pinpoint what satelites should be in contact...

Bottom line, since the GPS radio is a reciever only, it will not effect any plane communications...

this is not true. one gps rec will effect another. it is an rf rec. one rf rec can ABSOLUTELY effect another. you may not be old enough, but when i was a kid, my parents used to make me go hold the rabbit ears on our tv. (im only 32, so no grandpa comments).

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly why I want to know why the gps is disabled when in airplane mode. I love watching speed, etc while on an airplane but the gps is dead on airplane mode. There must be a hack for that. Anyone??

I agree that the gps is a RECEIVER ONLY. My Garmin isn't talking to the sattelites. (or the cell towers for that matter)

The GPS works fine in the middle of the desert with no cell towers as long as your cell antennae is enabled. Annoying.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly why I want to know why the gps is disabled when in airplane mode. I love watching speed, etc while on an airplane but the gps is dead on airplane mode. There must be a hack for that. Anyone??

I agree that the gps is a RECEIVER ONLY. My Garmin isn't talking to the sattelites. (or the cell towers for that matter)

The GPS works fine in the middle of the desert with no cell towers as long as your cell antennae is enabled. Annoying.

because in the RF world, one reciever ABSOLUTELY can effect another. i see it everyday. think rabbit ears.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
because in the RF world, one reciever ABSOLUTELY can effect another. i see it everyday. think rabbit ears.

Moot point. Airlines (at one time) approved the use of GPS receivers. I have not heard that they changed their minds on that.

And now you can use WiFi onboard some planes for a fee. It is all about the $$$$.

The GPS is turned off because the Samsung programers linked it to the flight mode, likely just to be on the 'safe' side or out of ignorance.

BTW, the LCD displays and backlights on those laptop computers onboard radiate far in excess of what a GPS reciever would unintentionally radiate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm