Grandfathered UDP.....

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and I've been out of contract since 2014. If I buy the phone from google store can I use my existing sim on the google unlocked pixel without messing up my current data plan. Will Verizon force me to sign a new contract?

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why. I've been off contract since 2011. I've changed phones a few times (eBay, Nexus, etc.) without re-upping my contract or affecting UDP.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They won't. They can't force you to sign a new contract when you bought the phone from someone else.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and I've been out of contract since 2014. If I buy the phone from google store can I use my existing sim on the google unlocked pixel without messing up my current data plan. Will Verizon force me to sign a new contract?

Nope. If you drop your sim in your phone it doesn't affect your account.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

No. I was out of contract last year, and did this with my MXPE. Still have my UDP. I was even able to change to Unlimited texting without invoking a new contract.

For that matter, you can now walk into a VZW store, and buy a new phone on a payment plan, and still keep UDP. Not that they won't try to get you on a tiered data plan, but they won't force it.
The last part is subject to change, just like anything with them, now that we are "off contract."

I have looked at their pricing, and I could save money right now by going to tiered data, but I am probably going to wait. If I pull the trigger on a Pixel, I want to see how much of a data usage bump I see from full-size pictures going up to Google.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
No. I was out of contract last year, and did this with my MXPE. Still have my UDP. I was even able to change to Unlimited texting without invoking a new contract.

For that matter, you can now walk into a VZW store, and buy a new phone on a payment plan, and still keep UDP. Not that they won't try to get you on a tiered data plan, but they won't force it.
The last part is subject to change, just like anything with them, now that we are "off contract."

I have looked at their pricing, and I could save money right now by going to tiered data, but I am probably going to wait. If I pull the trigger on a Pixel, I want to see how much of a data usage bump I see from full-size pictures going up to Google.

You know that you can set up Google Photos to only upload while you are on WiFi right? I set mine up to only upload while charging and on WiFi.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
That may be the default setting (backup on WiFi only).

UDP is good if you're streaming video. That eats up data like crazy. Otherwise, looking at historical data usage, most folks can save plenty of money on tiered data without cutting utilization.

I only use VZW for the data, and I suspend my account when not in use.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon also won't make you give up unlimited data if you go with a device payment plan or pay for the phone all at once. You would just have to pay the $20 activation fee. I did this when I got my HTC 10.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if I could use my grandfathered UDP Hotspot SIM in the Pixel, using it as a hotspot and then just using Google Voice for calls... I tried it in my N6, but it didn't work when I tried it (way back when on Lollipop). Hoping there may be some changes with the OS that might let it work - would be really nice to have across-the-board unlimited everything and hotspot all in one!

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You know that you can set up Google Photos to only upload while you are on WiFi right? I set mine up to only upload while charging and on WiFi.

Yes. But (because my wife doesn't want to give up copper POTS) we are still on copper ADSL. My Verizon hotspot is MUCH faster. I am close to getting her convinced to move to a faster service. We are in an area where Google Fiber is coming in nearby and AT&T is rolling out FTTP.

polo2883

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Does an unlocked pixel work to tether on Verizon UDP? Has this been confirmed yet? With the Verizon version...you cannot

Same with the unlocked. It still does the subscription check. There is a work around I found in another forum. Its been tested and people say it works. I dont have my unlocked Pixel yet to test.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77