Group Text Messaging

lime tribe

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Sprint Galaxy S3 Handcent

I think I have FINALLY gotten group messaging down on Handcent here are my settings
From the main menu thread hit menu Settings. (from top to bottom)

APPLICATION SETTINGS
"Default Messaging application" - All(SMS & MMS)
"Thread Group Conversation" - checked

NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
"Enable popup" - checked
"Notifications checked" - checked
"Notify after Download" checked

On the same screen tap POPUP SETTINGS
"Quick Popup" - UNCHECKED
"Screen on for Popup" - checked
"Mark Read" - checked
"Blur Background" - checked
"Auto open onscreen keyboard" - checked
"Auto adjust for onscreen Keyboard" -checked
"Smart Links" - checked

On previous screen tap NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
"Show notification text" - checked
"Show unread count" - checked

On Main Settings screen "Send message settings" **back button twice**
"Filter mobile contacts" - checked
"Compatibility check" - checked
"Auto convert to MMS" - checked
"If you are using a samsung phone......" - checked (i am so this one may/may not be optional)

On Main Settings screen RECEIVE MESSAGE SETTINGS
"Handcent delivery report" - checked
"Auto Retrieve" - checked
"Self Check" - checked
"Auto Download" - checked

Sorry this is overkill but I got so frustrated getting this to work that I thought I would side on being over thorough.
***Disclamer*** - When answering to a group chat from a pop-up message "if you have that enabled" your reply text will only go send to the person that sent it. So only reply to group chat within the actual group chat thread.

I hope this hasn't been redundant and can help a few folks out.
cheers

Last edited:

mracorns

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Handcent Emoji will fix that problem.

If you usr the Verizon messages app, it works almost like iMessage. My friends are on iPhones as wekl. The only issue i hsve is when they use smilies, the smilues don't show for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Tiago Moraes

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, the stock app is terrible... GO SMS Pro, looks great and works while sending texts but not while receiving them. I like you have a HTC and also am on the Sprint network...

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I use GoSMS with the emoji plug-in and a Galaxy-style theme, and it works perfectly. The only complaint I have is that it's a bit sluggish when people start messaging really quickly. This wasn't a problem on my Motorola Droid X or the Bionic, even on the stock app, so I'm not sure why Samsung didn't build the feature into their own stock app. I read somewhere that Android 4.1 doesn't support group messaging natively, but 4.2 does, so maybe this will be fixed if we get another OS update.

maethlin

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Why would you apologize? This is perfect/great/should-be-published-directly-by-handcent.

:)

Sprint Galaxy S3 Handcent

I think I have FINALLY gotten group messaging down on Handcent here are my settings
From the main menu thread hit menu Settings. (from top to bottom)

APPLICATION SETTINGS
"Default Messaging application" - All(SMS & MMS)
"Thread Group Conversation" - checked

NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
"Enable popup" - checked
"Notifications checked" - checked
"Notify after Download" checked

On the same screen tap POPUP SETTINGS
"Quick Popup" - UNCHECKED
"Screen on for Popup" - checked
"Mark Read" - checked
"Blur Background" - checked
"Auto open onscreen keyboard" - checked
"Auto adjust for onscreen Keyboard" -checked
"Smart Links" - checked

On previous screen tap NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
"Show notification text" - checked
"Show unread count" - checked

On Main Settings screen "Send message settings" **back button twice**
"Filter mobile contacts" - checked
"Compatibility check" - checked
"Auto convert to MMS" - checked
"If you are using a samsung phone......" - checked (i am so this one may/may not be optional)

On Main Settings screen RECEIVE MESSAGE SETTINGS
"Handcent delivery report" - checked
"Auto Retrieve" - checked
"Self Check" - checked
"Auto Download" - checked

Sorry this is overkill but I got so frustrated getting this to work that I thought I would side on being over thorough.
***Disclamer*** - When answering to a group chat from a pop-up message "if you have that enabled" your reply text will only go send to the person that sent it. So only reply to group chat within the actual group chat thread.

I hope this hasn't been redundant and can help a few folks out.
cheers

Magnanimity

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Handcent's setting is under settings, the VERY LAST SETTING on the list, SCROLLING ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM says: "Thread group conversation" it uses MMS for group messages to do this, and you must set hancent as your default messaging app for it to work. Looks like to me that is an important enough setting to have closer to the top of the list as I've looked for it several times and didn't find it until reading this thread.

amariechav

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I just got a Samsung Galaxy s4 and I like using Verizon Messages which can be downloaded from the Google play store. When you use this app after putting in the names of who you want to send your message to start typing your message. Before sending your message click on the names in the top left corner. You should see a list of the recipient list and under that Recipients reply to> me or group. Click on group and make sure it's highlighted then hit create message at the bottom. Your message should only send once to everyone and you should get everyone's reply on one message. The only thing is you'll also get your own reply but hey its a small price... Hope this helps!

amariechav

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Samsung galaxy s4 and was having trouble with group messaging. I like using Verizon Messages which can be downloaded from the Google play store. When you use this app after putting in the names of who you want to send your message to start typing your message. Before sending your message click on the names in the top left corner. You should see a list of the recipient list and under that Recipients reply to> me or group. Click on group and make sure it's highlighted then hit create message at the bottom. Your message should only send once to everyone and you should get everyone's reply on one message. The only thing is you'll also get your own reply but hey its a small price... Hope this helps!

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention that GOSMS is getting lower ratings since the last update. Why do devs screw up their own programs?

AC App on SGS3

Vwt47232

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Group Text Messaging--Galaxy s5

I can't read a group text message on my Galaxy S5. I see a block that says download instead of a message. Is there some setting I need to use?
Ginny

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz