GS4 VS HTC One

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much agree with the outcome from what little I've seen displayed with hands-on demos, reviews, and such. The One's color contract is bad compared to the S4, S4's colors are more natural. Better battery, with the ability to swap batteries. Expandable storage, better benchmarks, better camera, better UI. And when you go in depth between the comparisons, it looks like everything the S4 does better than the One it does it better by a pretty good margin, whereas what the One does better than the S4 the difference isn't as great.

Samsung has two things working against them though. People seem to be flocking to the aluminium uni-body design that the One has just because the phone looks better. That and I've noticed that the more mainstream Samsung has become (the Apple of Android), the more Android users seem to shy away and bash the products. And I don't have an answer for why that is. Maybe people just love an underdog. But I'd take the phone with all around better performance 10 out of 10 times, regardless of the materials it's made out of.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Pretty good comparison. Function trumps form in my book every time.

I love my mac book pro build quality, but I plan to have it for more time. I bought it for battery life, not a uni aluminum body. I just do not need that level build quality in a phone I will keep for a year or so. I want a better user experience. Having owned many sammy galaxy phones I like their function.

Pretty much confirms what I thought about these two phones. I would pick the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing that confuses me is that I see the plain plastic body Samsung uses criticized more often than anything else on their phones, so if all it takes is to just pretty that up a little for a complete home run, I don't understand why they don't.

I guess it's because since people are still buying them up in droves anyway due to them having established the mindshare they can't be bothered adding production costs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
One thing that confuses me is that I see the plain plastic body Samsung uses criticized more often than anything else on their phones, so if all it takes is to just pretty that up a little for a complete home run, I don't understand why they don't.

I guess it's because since people are still buying them up in droves anyway due to them having established the mindshare they can't be bothered adding production costs.

Mostly it's because there's nothing actually wrong with the materials they use for their phones, people are just ignorant on their actual quality and the Samsung Haters Club need something to complain about don't they? :p

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Just copy/paste my reply from the other thread.

Performance: GS4 faster in synthetics. Real world performance indistinguishable.

Aesthetic design: HTC One, hands down. Although, the black GS4 doesn't look too bad, imo. I still feel like HTC placed more emphasis here, and it paid off.

Functional Design: GS4, narrowly. Removable Battery and SD Slot is slightly > front facing speakers. (For me, personally.)

Display: 441 vs 468 is irrelevant. HTC One will have better color accuracy. GS4 will have better blacks. I personally love amoled screens, over-saturated or not. Both are very impressive.

Software: Touchwiz for functionality and feature set. Sense 5 for minimalistic looks. Overall, I would prefer Sense 5, but both would be flashed to a better ROM.

Battery Life: Going off GSMArena's comparison, the HTC will have (ever so slightly) better battery life for the power user that charges their phone once every 24hr. GS4 will have better battery life for the user that wants to stretch it out.

The video tests show a clear advantage, in focus, for the S4. That thing's focus is rock solid. The HTC has a smoother video due to OIS. Quality is equal. Night video, looking at a collection of revies around the net, I prefer the One.

Camera comparisons: The S4 has a much better day-light camera. Better colors, fantastic detail, and an overall very balanced day photo. Pre-release software, or not, the GS4 will produce better day shots than the One. I disagree with GSM's Lowlight shots, however. I don't like the setting they choose to deem as "low-light." I would prefer a pure blown night shot comparison and a bar/club shot comparison, rather than what looks to be an early evening shot.

Overall, I feel like neither party would be wrong if one had the GS4 and the other had an HTC One. The petty little fanboy wars are pathetically funny to me. They're both awesome devices, and I can't see anyone not being pleased with either. For me, though? I'm not making my decision until I can get some decent hands-on time with both.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Why did they reward the GS4 the battery test? They were very close except in web browsing, in which the one blew the GS4 away. I only skimmed the article, did I miss anything?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why did they reward the GS4 the battery test? They were very close except in web browsing, in which the one blew the GS4 away. I only skimmed the article, did I miss anything?

They were close on the tests that measured battery life but the HTC One really lost it when idle. It used much more battery when idle than the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The reviews out right now are stating the GS4 having mediocre call quality.

I spend about 15 mins max /day on a call and never dropped calls on my last 2 Samsungs. So mediocre is something I can live with if there is overall better experience

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just copy/paste my reply from the other thread.

Performance: GS4 faster in synthetics. Real world performance indistinguishable.

Aesthetic design: HTC One, hands down. Although, the black GS4 doesn't look too bad, imo. I still feel like HTC placed more emphasis here, and it paid off.

Functional Design: GS4, narrowly. Removable Battery and SD Slot is slightly > front facing speakers. (For me, personally.)

Display: 441 vs 468 is irrelevant. HTC One will have better color accuracy. GS4 will have better blacks. I personally love amoled screens, over-saturated or not. Both are very impressive.

Software: Touchwiz for functionality and feature set. Sense 5 for minimalistic looks. Overall, I would prefer Sense 5, but both would be flashed to a better ROM.

Battery Life: Going off GSMArena's comparison, the HTC will have (ever so slightly) better battery life for the power user that charges their phone once every 24hr. GS4 will have better battery life for the user that wants to stretch it out.

The video tests show a clear advantage, in focus, for the S4. That thing's focus is rock solid. The HTC has a smoother video due to OIS. Quality is equal. Night video, looking at a collection of revies around the net, I prefer the One.

Camera comparisons: The S4 has a much better day-light camera. Better colors, fantastic detail, and an overall very balanced day photo. Pre-release software, or not, the GS4 will produce better day shots than the One. I disagree with GSM's Lowlight shots, however. I don't like the setting they choose to deem as "low-light." I would prefer a pure blown night shot comparison and a bar/club shot comparison, rather than what looks to be an early evening shot.

Overall, I feel like neither party would be wrong if one had the GS4 and the other had an HTC One. The petty little fanboy wars are pathetically funny to me. They're both awesome devices, and I can't see anyone not being pleased with either. For me, though? I'm not making my decision until I can get some decent hands-on time with both.

I would suggest looking at some side by side comparisons that are on Youtube if you get the chance. Video playback on both phones side by side show that colors look a tad bit darker and unnatural on the HTC One next to the S4 while playing the same video. I don't know if the S4's Adobe RGB screen setting was activated at the time or if it was just the stock setting but colors appeared more warm and a little bit more true to life on the S4.

I think TouchWiz for the first time ever will give people an incentive to not flash ROMs. I'd hate for all the features on my S4 to go to waste by running a custom rom. Sure there's some bloatware but I feel the number of useful features outnumber the bloat to the point that you can live with it. With the HTC One, the only advantage I could give it is in the camera and that's Zoe which probably trumps every camera feature the S4 has. As far as Blinkfeed, you already have it in the form of Flipboard for non Sense 5 phones. I don't know if it's been proven that Blinkfeed is a resources hog and how much of one it is but at least Flipboard isn't always running even when not in use.

I'd agree with everything else for the most part, S4 has the best still camera while the One performs better in some video circumstances. And the fanboy wars are ridiculous, just goes to show how close the phones really are. But I feel the better all around package is in the S4 for pretty much the same reasons GSM Arena has marked. That's in no way saying the One is a bad phone, but I think the S4 offers more and is the better bang for the buck. The only real knock on the phone is how close it looks to the S3. If Samsung and HTC switched housings I don't think anyone would be talking about the One over the S4, at least that's just my opinion.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Even if this is a great review I will not read it. The reviewer refers to the devices as "Droids" multiple times. Easiest way to lose my respect lol

GSMArena is really good at providing numbers and reference points to back up their reviews. They thoroughly review all phones, including Windows, Blackberry, Apple and Android.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I spend about 15 mins max /day on a call and never dropped calls on my last 2 Samsungs. So mediocre is something I can live with if there is overall better experience

I use the actual phone feature of my smartphone maybe a few minutes a day if at all. lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
GSMArena is really good at providing numbers and reference points to back up their reviews. They thoroughly review all phones, including Windows, Blackberry, Apple and Android.

That's fine in not saying they don't do a good job. Just saying the use of the term droids turns me off

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm a little confused here, forgive my ignorance but I thought all jellybean phones use the chrome browser now don't they? Or is that just the nexus 4? I don't understand why the browsers would score so differently if they both use chrome

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality37