[GUIDE] Manually Flashing Official 4.1 Jelly Bean

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
[WARN]
This is for GSM Versions ONLY. There is NO official Verizon release at this time.​
[/WARN]

Prerequisites
You'll need to be running the takju version of the Galaxy Nexus ( (IMM76I) 4.1 preview. If you're running the 4.1 preview, download the first file. If you're running 4.0.4, download the second file. Pay close attention to this part. This method may work on other versions, but you don't want to be the guinea pig for that. You'll also need a few tools, namely ClockworkMod recovery, the fastboot files you used to unlock your bootloader. Grab them here:

With the prerequisites out of the way:

1. Find the SD Card folder where your fastboot installation resides. Place the ClockworkMod recovery image file (it has a .img file extension) in the folder with fastboot.
  2. Copy the OTA package zip file to the storage on your phone.
  3. Shut your phone off
  4. Hold both volume up and volume down, then press power to enter the bootloader.
  5. Plug your phone into a 2.0 USB port on the host computer.
  6. Open the command line on the host computer, and browse to the folder where fatsboot and the ClockworkMod image are located.
  7. At the command line, you're going to tell your phone to reboot into ClockworkMod. You're not going to flash anything. If you're running windows on the host machine, type in fastboot-windows.exe boot recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img . If you're using a Mac or Linux, type in fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img .
  8. Your Galaxy Nexus will reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, where you can follow the on screen instructions and flash the OTA package you downloaded and copied to the phone in the beginning of this procedure.
  9. When you're all done, choose to reboot your system from the ClockworkMod recovery menu. You will boot normally, into Jelly Bean, and since we didn't flash CWM, you're still 100% stock.

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this alongside Jerry Hildenbrand's main AC article. May I add the following for noobs like me who've never done this:

- This procedure required me to unlock the bootloader. I backed up my data, per everyone's cautions. Don't forget to enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options (that one tripped me up as well).
- I had to download a new driver for the GN while the phone was in fastboot mode since my PC (Win 7) didn't recognize it. I searched for "galaxy nexus fastboot driver" and the first one on the list worked for me.
- I had to turn off my firewall and download the OTA again since it failed to install at first. After replacing the OTA, it installed properly.

The prompts in CWM were easy to follow. When all was said and done (about five minutes total time), I got 4.1.1 without losing so much as my wallpaper and home screen arrangements. My thanks to the giants upon whose shoulders I stood to get this done!

janesa13

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this alongside Jerry Hildenbrand's main AC article. May I add the following for noobs like me who've never done this:

- This procedure required me to unlock the bootloader. I backed up my data, per everyone's cautions. Don't forget to enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options (that one tripped me up as well).
- I had to download a new driver for the GN while the phone was in fastboot mode since my PC (Win 7) didn't recognize it. I searched for "galaxy nexus fastboot driver" and the first one on the list worked for me.
- I had to turn off my firewall and download the OTA again since it failed to install at first. After replacing the OTA, it installed properly.

The prompts in CWM were easy to follow. When all was said and done (about five minutes total time), I got 4.1.1 without losing so much as my wallpaper and home screen arrangements. My thanks to the giants upon whose shoulders I stood to get this done!

I thought unlocking the bootloader will cause the phone to wipe all the data?

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
i updated mine yesterday but i used another way to do it.

1- unlocked the bootloader.

2- i had to convert my android version from yakju(zs) (Hong kong and Chinese version) all the way to takju (American unlocked gsm from google store version).

3- manually updated to jelly bean using the method explained in the thread.

now i got myself some jellybean.

Last edited:

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought unlocking the bootloader will cause the phone to wipe all the data?

That's what I thought, too. I backed up everything before trying this just in case. I was quite surprised to keep everything. It was worth the risk; JB is very smooth. I had takju at first, btw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ophidian

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I put Jelly Bean on my phone, I haven't been able to get WiFi

With 4.1 I had 0 bars of service (similar to what the Verizon GNex users were seeing) so I patiently waited for 4.1.1

Now that I have 4.1.1 installed, I have full WiFi bars, but still can't get it to connect. I "forgot" the connection and re-entered the password, it acts as if it is trying to connect and after successfully authenticating it quickly connects and then re-initializes the connection process. I've tried connecting to my WiFi at home and at work and both exhibit the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

idarwin

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
  • Your Galaxy Nexus will reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, where you can follow the on screen instructions and flash the OTA package you downloaded and copied to the phone in the beginning of this procedure.

All very nice, and good instructions EXCEPT that it should say "... follow the on-screen instructions to *apply the zip update from sdcard*" - the words 'flash the OTA package' are misleading - flashing implies erasure and loss of data, which is not what happens during an update.

kfilipov13

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a newbie when it comes to these stuff so I apologies for the stupid questions.

Where do I copy the .img file? I can't find a SD card folder.

If anyone could be so kind and help out a noob a little bit or has some kind of video to go with the instructions, would be nice.

Thank you for your time.

realfnken

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
weird thing happened...i had 4.0.4. takju and unlocked bootloader. Right before i was to begin flashing 4.1 JB update my nexus said i had an update. I dont know if unlcoking the bootlader made it come to me faster or if it was merely coincidence but I hadnt put clockwork mod img on sd card or the zip update. Both were downloaded on pc and phone was still plugged into usb on pc and charging but i just thought it was weird and didnt know if there was an explanation

nexus_justice

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
weird thing happened...i had 4.0.4. takju and unlocked bootloader. Right before i was to begin flashing 4.1 JB update my nexus said i had an update. I dont know if unlcoking the bootlader made it come to me faster or if it was merely coincidence but I hadnt put clockwork mod img on sd card or the zip update. Both were downloaded on pc and phone was still plugged into usb on pc and charging but i just thought it was weird and didnt know if there was an explanation

Nice.
What's your build?

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie when it comes to these stuff so I apologies for the stupid questions.

Where do I copy the .img file? I can't find a SD card folder.

If anyone could be so kind and help out a noob a little bit or has some kind of video to go with the instructions, would be nice.

Thank you for your time.

I was confused about this at first. The image file for CWM doesn't need to be copied onto the phone. You just need to run the command line from the folder on your computer that has the .img file. I hope that helps! It's worth the effort.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kfilipov13

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I get to the folder in the terminal to wherever the .img file is and I write the "fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img" ( tried on linux and mac) and it gives me "fastboot" command not found.

Any ideas?

CrisBerserker

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I put Jelly Bean on my phone, I haven't been able to get WiFi

With 4.1 I had 0 bars of service (similar to what the Verizon GNex users were seeing) so I patiently waited for 4.1.1

Now that I have 4.1.1 installed, I have full WiFi bars, but still can't get it to connect. I "forgot" the connection and re-entered the password, it acts as if it is trying to connect and after successfully authenticating it quickly connects and then re-initializes the connection process. I've tried connecting to my WiFi at home and at work and both exhibit the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've got the same problem, somehow i think my conection on ICS was way better than with the new JB 4.1.1 (talking about WiFi. 2G, 3G have no problems). But in my case i can successfully connect to the WiFi, but after a period of time (some minutes) it disconnects and then after some time more it connects again, i'm about 10 mts or less from my modem and i remember when i had ICS i had no problems staying connected at the same distance. I updated too from 4.1 to 4.1.1 because WiFi didn't connect at all when i tried in different places.

Anyway, i'm kind of stable with this 4.1.1 Baseband (XXLF1, what's the build you have Ophidian? i've got JRO03, maybe you installed a rom that didn't match, how did you installed your ROM?) but it would be amazing having the power that it had on ICS, i was looking for info, and was decided to try another baseband but i think it's kind of risky, a friend of mine installed a diff one and now he can't get 3G. I've found all the basebands for Nexus GSM but again i'm wondering if it would be safe to change it..

Any comments or ideas are well welcome, please send me an email if you find any solution.

Thanks!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe