Had the S6 preordered but...

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
ended up cancelling it...Could not convince myself that the S6 was worth $650 (full price with tax)...Unlike many I have found the camera of the M8 to be more than adequate, especially in low light. My wife has an Iphone and my low light shots are very comparable. Plus, I use my GX7 when the image quality really counts.

I really like the Sense UI and some of the additions like grid view. I like how you can close all apps at one time - never figured out how to do that with card view but maybe I am missing something. The battery life is nothing special with the S6 and I have never honestly been a fan of AMOLED screens due to burn in but maybe the new ones are better. I like my micro SD card and speakers too. Plus it is as fast now as the day I bought it. Back to my M8 for now and still waiting for the next big thing...

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think I am going to keep my M8 for a while. After all the reviews of the M9, even personal testimonials from owners haven't swayed me to buy it.
In my opinion HTC has taken a big step back with the M9.

I was thinking about getting the Nexus 6 but after handling one, I quickly found out I would always need two hands to use it.
The only other phone I would consider going after would be the Droid Turbo. I got one for my wife about a month ago and I can tell you that thing is a beast!!!
This morning I took a look at her phone and her battery was at 28% this is after two days and eighteen hours off charge!
She is constantly checking and posting to Facebook and Instagram. Crazy!

I have been with HTC since the original Droid Incredible days and I can easily say the M8 is the best phone I have owned.
I get great battery life. The camera is good enough for me. The sound is awesome. Sense is better than ever. Going to the M9 would just seem like I'm getting left back a grade to do over, but I will get a hands on to see for myself before I totally write off the M9.

Posted via the Android Central App

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I do not think the M9 is a big step back from the M8. I would buy one if I did not have the M8. Would you really choose the M8 over the M9 if you could just pick one? I would pick the M9. I think reviewers have been too hard on the M9.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I meant HTC has taken a step back as a whole with the M9. If I had an M7 then yes, I'd be all over the M9. As an M8 owner I don't see a reason to beat down Verizon's door to get my hands on one.

I am in no way trying to be negative or bash the M9. I really would like to have one. And I know reviews do not always get it right. Right now in its 'reported' form its just like meh... That's why I want to get a hands on myself. Who knows, it might completely change my mind and I end up walking out of the store with one.

Last edited:

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I meant HTC has taken a step back as a whole with the M9. If I had an M7 then yes, I'd be all over the M9. As an M8 owner I don't see a reason to beat down Verizon's door to get my hands on one.

I am in no way trying to be negative or bash the M9. I really would like to have one. And I know reviews do not always get it right. Right now in its 'reported' form its just like meh... That's why I want to get a hands on myself. Who knows, it might completely change my mind and I end up walking out of the store with one.

I agree. From my observations, reviews and looking at the specs The M9 is a good phone but for those already with the M8, I don't believe it's worth paying that amount for very small incremental advancements in technology. The M8 is still one amazing and responsive phone with a long battery life as it is

Obviously coming from an M7 or similar aged phone, then it probably would make sense to just get the M9

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree. From my observations, reviews and looking at the specs The M9 is a good phone but for those already with the M8, I don't believe it's worth paying that amount for very small incremental advancements in technology. The M8 is still one amazing and responsive phone with a long battery life as it is

Obviously coming from an M7 or similar aged phone, then it probably would make sense to just get the M9

Agreed.

I'll be waiting for the M10 to come out next year. HTC will listen to feedback and continue to evolve its flagship phone.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I am not looking to change my M8 any time soon. I had the HTC One X and the One M7 before it, and the only reason I jumped ship to the M8 from the M7 was that the latter fell and the screen got cracked and I didn't want to bother with a screen replacement since it's not easy, but BOY was I happy with my decision since the M8 is an incredible phone and most definitely the best phone I have ever used (I used a lot of phones in my days). I didn't get to play around with the M9 yet, but from the looks of it I won't be upgrading to it and will be waiting for a newer high-end HTC device to come out.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna stick with my M8 for another year at least. I was swayed by the S6 EDGE, but after seeing seeing the numerous issues people are experiencing, this has put me off. Generally I tend to avoid Samsungs due to them being bug infested devices. As for the M9, it is lovely looking and a good upgrade, but not for M8 users. We already have a phone that competes with the best out there, there is no point changing something so lovely for the sake of having just the latest phone. Well, not in my opinion anyway.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna stick with my M8 for another year at least. I was swayed by the S6 EDGE, but after seeing seeing the numerous issues people are experiencing, this has put me off. Generally I tend to avoid Samsungs due to them being bug infested devices. As for the M9, it is lovely looking and a good upgrade, but not for M8 users. We already have a phone that competes with the best out there, there is no point changing something so lovely for the sake of having just the latest phone. Well, not in my opinion anyway.

Agreed. I'll be waiting for the M10 next year.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry to say this, but it's going to be the next iPhone for me.

I have an M8 now and love it to pieces. But the new flagships can't compete with Apple on battery life. iOS is much more stable than Lollipop.

Secondly, iOS actually has a silent mode!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to say this, but it's going to be the next iPhone for me.

I have an M8 now and love it to pieces. But the new flagships can't compete with Apple on battery life. iOS is much more stable than Lollipop.

Secondly, iOS actually has a silent mode!

The iPhone 6 outlasts the M8 in battery life? 6+ sure but I don't think the regular 6 does. IOS 8 has had a lot of bugs and stability issues to be honest. Both Google and Apple haven't done a good job launching their new OS.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6 outlasts the M8 in battery life? 6+ sure but I don't think the regular 6 does. IOS 8 has had a lot of bugs and stability issues to be honest. Both Google and Apple haven't done a good job launching their new OS.

iOS 8 was terrible when first released. Android 5.0 was at least a good OS. It's different from previous versions of Android, but that's the point. It's *not* iOS where the differences are hardly even noticeable.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
iOS 8 was terrible when first released. Android 5.0 was at least a good OS. It's different from previous versions of Android, but that's the point. It's *not* iOS where the differences are hardly even noticeable.

Where is Project Volta? Battery life on 2015 android phones whether Samsung or HTC are a regression not a step forward. It seems like they aren't even optimized for 64 bit chips. ART didn't improve performance until 5.1 was released. Then there is the memory leak issue. Lollipop was a bunch of promises unkept. Aesthetically Android matured coming from the Gingerbread days when it looked like DOS next to IOS. But I expect more out of Google who still treats their OS like a pet project. At least IOS fixes major issues in a timely fashion.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree Apple are better at fixing bugs. At the moment the M8 has a couple of bugs and irritants that need ironing out, such as disabling those awful Heads Up Notifications, the keyboard disappearing now and then, which means restarting the phone. Also, the batter life has been downhill since Lollipop. But I don't think this is enough at the moment to make me switch back to an iPhone. I like iPhones but their limitations are too much for someone who likes a bit of freedom with his or her handset.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree Apple are better at fixing bugs. At the moment the M8 has a couple of bugs and irritants that need ironing out, such as disabling those awful Heads Up Notifications, the keyboard disappearing now and then, which means restarting the phone. Also, the batter life has been downhill since Lollipop. But I don't think this is enough at the moment to make me switch back to an iPhone. I like iPhones but their limitations are too much for someone who likes a bit of freedom with his or her handset.

I agree 100%. No platform is perfect. But I can't see myself going back to Apple either for the reason s you stated.