Had to laugh - "We've never heard of Google"

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
From reading I've done, it's my understanding that Google is selling the Nexus 4s with a very low profit margin on them, deliberately, to encourage people to buy and upgrade themselves to a Google "experience". And hey, I'm a poor college student myself, and so you won't hear me complain about paying less (duh!)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile store prices are $150 over Play Store, because Google is subsiding the phones they sell.

And Walmart doesn't sell the N4. The Galaxy Nexus, maybe, but not the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Woah, I didn't know that. I thought $299/$349 were the respective prices - period. But if they're being sold for hundreds more at these retail stores, forget it. Whose wise idea was that? LG's?
Other retailers may not be getting the same deal from LG as Google is. Also, Google is likely heavily subsidizing the phones you buy from the play store.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Just pay full retail, you can get one at any Tmobile store.

Tmobile isn't selling it full retail, they are making it up 150, otherwise I'd have one by now

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That's great that you have a pleasant experience. Unfortunately, there are some people (like myself) who just can't seem to understand why our orders seem to be stuck in limbo w/o any support from Google. I will try again, though, on Monday. When you ordered, what shipping estimate did you receive? The 2-3 week or 1-2 week? I'm going to try to order the 16 GB this time around and see if there's any difference.

I ordered on a Wednesday got my phone Friday night. My order said 1-2 weeks but it shipped the next day.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So I'm perusing around J&R Computer World's Mac section years ago and a woman is talking to a salesman asking about "...getting more 'rams'..." in her computer.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This is amazing..Google is like a verb now. "blah blah blah...I Googled it last night, blah blah blah.

Now lets try that with other search engines....past and present:

I Alta Vistad it
I Ask Jeevesed
I Lycosed it
I Excited it
I Yahooed it
I Binged it

I just mentioned engines I used. Alta Vista, Lycos and Excite were my favorites. If one of the others had became as popular as Google....maybe it could've been like a verb too. But it just doesn't fit like "I Googled it" If these ppl never heard of Google....where have they been living all this time? Were they Amish? This must have been their first mobile phone ever in life.....

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL too true, but you get what the budget can afford :)

Naw, you can keep that D3200 :) Just attach a nice lens and your out of focus areas will match the images on my D700, *without* breaking your bank. I still like the bokeh my 50mm 1.4 gives, and the 85mm f1.8 does a decent job at it too (both pretty affordable). The 50mm f1.8 can render really nice backgrounds, and it's only $150 at Amazon. All time favorite though? the 85mm 1.4. I've never seen backgrounds like ones that one produces. If you can chase down a good used one, do so. It's worth every penny. The 105mm f2 with de-focus control is supposed to edge out the 85 1.4, but who wants to fiddle around with a DC ring when you're trying to capture an image? Not me lol.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was in TMobile today, switching over from the contract to prepaid, and someone brought back an N4 8gb phone. When asked why, they told the salesman "we have never heard of Google, oure friends havent either, get a Samsung."

So when the salesman asked what they use for a search engine, they looked at each other like deer caught in headlights.

How old were these people?

ShadowAsylum

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
They way I see it man, some people have just gotten lucky and got theirs in 2 or 3 days. I'm on day 8 of waiting for mine. Which I'm fine with, why you may ask? When I ordered it was 2-3 weeks for shipping, then they dropped the time to 1-2 weeks. I'm still under 2 weeks anyway, so I think all is well. I know how you feel though, you're just feeling a sense of anxiousness and impatience. I'm feeling the same thing too. I remember you saying something about the $1 hold that got removed, I'm guessing that was your first order through Google? I think they only do that on your first order through them. The hold on the price of the phone itself, that is just done for a few days for them to make sure you have the money in your account before they ship it to you.

ShadowAsylum

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
That's great that you have a pleasant experience. Unfortunately, there are some people (like myself) who just can't seem to understand why our orders seem to be stuck in limbo w/o any support from Google. I will try again, though, on Monday. When you ordered, what shipping estimate did you receive? The 2-3 week or 1-2 week? I'm going to try to order the 16 GB this time around and see if there's any difference.

They way I see it man, some people have just gotten lucky and got theirs in 2 or 3 days. I'm on day 8 of waiting for mine. Which I'm fine with, why you may ask? When I ordered it was 2-3 weeks for shipping, then they dropped the time to 1-2 weeks. I'm still under 2 weeks anyway, so I think all is well. I know how you feel though, you're just feeling a sense of anxiousness and impatience. I'm feeling the same thing too. I remember you saying something about the $1 hold that got removed, I'm guessing that was your first order through Google? I think they only do that on your first order through them. The hold on the price of the phone itself, that is just done for a few days for them to make sure you have the money in your account before they ship it to you.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz