hangouts update

JuanDr0id

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi to everyone, my girlfriend has this phone and recently got the hangouts update the weird thing is that it updated the icon and the play store says its already updated but when I open it shows the old Google talk, does anyone has experience this behavior?

Posted via Android Central App

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
A lot of us have been having this same issue. The same thing happened to me on my HOX+. From what I've read on other threads here was that the update was rolling out slowly to everyone.

A few things that might help her:
  1. Have her go to the Google Play Store on her computer. Some people reported that the app gives the option to 'update' on there but not the phone. That didn't work for me though.
  2. Some people used the .apk file for Hangouts and loaded the app that way.
  3. What I did was uninstall the Talk app using ROM Toolbox Pro (I'm rooted) and then went to the Play Store and downloaded Hangouts to get the update.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest the APK method as you might encounter hacked files or risk the system not recognizing it in Google Play later. The update is being S L O W L Y rolled out, so not all users are seeing it right now, but it will. I remember seeing a Google post saying that it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Wish I could trade - would love to have GTalk back instead of this POS.

Edit: I was able to rollback to Talk but it didn't take effect immediately.

Last edited:

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Go to Hangouts in Google Play - you should see an option to uninstall the update. It doesn't take effect immediately.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Go to Hangouts in Google Play - you should see an option to uninstall the update. It doesn't take effect immediately.

Unfortunately this doesn't work if you take the 4.3 update - this stinking turd of an app automatically overwrites Talk.

Yo, Google - apps are supposed to improve, not get worse!