Headphones with Nexus 7

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As YAYTech and T Android said, it will absolutely work for headphone listening. :) I find it works very well for it, partially due to the second-gen 7's narrower form factor.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for something that looked like a headphone jack, not a little hole in the side. How does the microphone work?

The Nexus 7 has a built-in microphone that has nothing to do with the headphone jack, but it also supports headsets with a built-in microphone. This also gives function to accessories like headphones with a built-in remote (no idea how well they work with different apps, but they should work in theory) and payment dongles such as Square (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=https%3A%2F%2Fsquareup.com%2F&token=2-jINR1P), Paypal's payment swiper, etc. The first gen Nexus 7 did not support the in-line microphone through the headphone jack, so for those of us that have owned both, the inclusion of it on the new one is kind of a big deal. :)

*edit* Also, if you're looking for the headphone jack in pictures, it's on the top, near the cameras.

Anita Kingdon

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
which ones should I buy? I am trying to learn Italian on my tablet so need headphone quality for speech. Don't listen to that much music as I am very hard of hearing (wear hearing aids and have to remove them to put on headphones mostly.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Another option you can look in to is a stereo bluetooth headset. I use one and it also has a mic and work great.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
which ones should I buy? I am trying to learn Italian on my tablet so need headphone quality for speech. Don't listen to that much music as I am very hard of hearing (wear hearing aids and have to remove them to put on headphones mostly.

That's a question full of opinion. You should buy what's right for you. Some things to consider:

- do you want wired or wireless?
- do you just want headphones, or headphones & a mic?
- do you like in-ear, on-ear, or over-the-ear?
- what's your budget?
- how picky are you about sound quality?
- do you care about style/looks?
- do you want/need to travel with them?
- are you ok with having to charge them or replace batteries occasionally? (relevant to wireless and noise canceling)
- do you want noise canceling?
- do they need to be able to deal with moisture (use for working out, or even swimming. Going to guess it's not swimming with a Nexus 7, though. lol)
- any need for open-ear headphones (bone conducting style, very interesting tech)

Some of these options get into fairly high dollar headphones (good noise canceling, bone conducting, high quality audio, etc), so budget and use are probably the best questions to answer first. You could spend anywhere from five dollars to thousands of dollars on headphones.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I love watching a movie or a show in bed at night with the nexus 7 and some earbuds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
That's a question full of opinion. You should buy what's right for you. Some things to consider:

- do you want wired or wireless?
- do you just want headphones, or headphones & a mic?
- do you like in-ear, on-ear, or over-the-ear?
- what's your budget?
- how picky are you about sound quality?
- do you care about style/looks?
- do you want/need to travel with them?
- are you ok with having to charge them or replace batteries occasionally? (relevant to wireless and noise canceling)
- do you want noise canceling?
- do they need to be able to deal with moisture (use for working out, or even swimming. Going to guess it's not swimming with a Nexus 7, though. lol)
- any need for open-ear headphones (bone conducting style, very interesting tech)

Some of these options get into fairly high dollar headphones (good noise canceling, bone conducting, high quality audio, etc), so budget and use are probably the best questions to answer first. You could spend anywhere from five dollars to thousands of dollars on headphones.

Hi: Any suggestions for below... My responses are in caps.

- do you want wired or wireless? - WIRELESS
- do you just want headphones, or headphones & a mic? – HEADPHONE AND MIC
- what's your budget? - ECONOMICAL