Hello from Krewe, a newbie in Minnesota’s north woods where Android-savvy folks are hard to find

Krewe

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I've always respected Android Central, so I’m bringing you a problem that’s a big deal for me.

I want to use the same (stock) notification tones on my Moto X4 running Android 9 as I did on my previous phone, a Moto X2 running Android 5. This is important to me because my cousins are all deaf; they use emails for conversations like hearing folks use phones; and thus I need short, sharp, distinctive notification tones to alert me when a cousin(s) is “calling” me via email, especially when I'm enveloped in heavy background noise. The notification tones on this X4 are so wimpy as to be nearly useless.

The X2 died in an ugly electronic flash when I inserted the charging cord. If it were bootable I'd just copy the tones off the X2. I’ve considered betting that the problem is battery-based, tearing down the X2, putting in a new battery and seeing what I can resurrect. But a teardown seems so extreme.

There ought to be a simpler way to obtain X2 notification tones or find new tones that work for me. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I imagine that anything but plants and wild animals are hard to find there.

Try Zedge for tones, and Ringtone Maker to make any tone that's too quiet louder (it works on any music file, not just ringtones). If you want just a single really loud tone, try the attached ringtone (put it into your Notifications folder after you extract it from the .zip - we can't upload .mp3 files). It's a little bit louder than enough to cause the phone to distort it (making it any louder just increases the distortion).

View attachment Old_Phone Loud.zip

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome from Atlanta, Georgia, where Android is everywhere!
I too am a Zedge user and support the recommendation.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. If you have a PC, you can try to pull the tones from the old phone and place them on the new one. Not sure where Moto puts their sound files, though.

Krewe

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
Wow, I have all I need and more in Zedge. My need is fulfilled, though further posts are of course welcome.

Thank you all who replied, most especially Rukbat. Rukbat, I unzipped Old_Phone Loud.zip and will use it.

I hope someone else can benefit from this thread, which clearly demonstrates that everything is easy unless you don't know how to do it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I have all I need and more in Zedge. My need is fulfilled, though further posts are of course welcome.

Thank you all who replied, most especially Rukbat. Rukbat, I unzipped Old_Phone Loud.zip and will use it.

I hope someone else can benefit from this thread, which clearly demonstrates that everything is easy unless you don't know how to do it.
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

I'm glad you got the help you needed.
Don't be a stranger.

Sent From the TARDIS With my Blue Note 9

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad you got the help you needed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201