Help! Custom boot animations?

M1grande

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I recently rooted my nexus 7 without unlocking it using the motochopper method, because I'm a noob. I found out you can change the boot animation on your nexus so I downloaded a particle nexus animation from some youtube link. I have root explorer and I can see the bootanimation.zip in the system/media folder. How do I replace it with the newly downloaded one? And also, is there any risk in this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Colin Crowley

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can do exactly what your wanting to do. My Nexus 7 was a bare to get rooted, but the non-unlocking bootloader worked great.

Now here's how you change the bootanimation.zip file

First you have to have a file manager that is able to set permissions. The one I use, might not be the best, is Root Browser lite. It's free.
Using it you go to system/media and change the permissions from 0644 (which looks like all read, owner write and executes not checked) to 0666 (all read and all write), then click ok
After that is will let you rename the file, rename it to bootanimation.bak
Copy the bootanimation.zip file (or whatever the name of the new animation zip is) to the system/media directory.
Rename it to bootanimation.zip and change permissions to 0644 (all read and owner write)

Reboot and enjoy new animation.

Colin

Now, not to steel the thread, I'd like to know if its possible to set a boot sound on a Nexus ? (If ya can just PM me, I'll make another post about that)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The guy on the youtube video said I can just push it to the media folder but I don't know what that means because the bootanimation.zip is still there
Here is the link to the guys OP. I'm doing the one with the flashable zip and the root explorer one. [Bootanimation] Nexus 7 Bootanimations - xda-developers
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

he means copy/paste to the media folder. you need root to do this. he also provide flashable zip to flash it from recovery but i believe you got the bootanimation.zip file.

so you have to copy paste the file to media folder. please make a copy of the current file before replacing it.

use app like ES eplorer to do the task.