Help! Free tethering apps no longer work after getting Jelly Bean this morning...

SGWALKER

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I found this thread while I was searching for some answers to the problem I'm having with Power Toggles/FoxFi tethering. I have the Galaxy S3 through At&t and haven't even received the Jelly Bean update yet, but with At&t's last OTA update I lost the ability to tether using Power Toggles to activate FoxFi so I can tether for free. I'm not rooted and have used this method without any issues whatsoever to tether for free since I got this phone several months ago. If you use the "native tethering" as some have mentioned you have to activate the service and pay the monthly fee, at least you to with At&t. Anyway, I know this is a different device and carrier, but it seems we are having the same issue so I just wanted to post and watch this thread in hopes of a solution.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah I am paranoid to update until I can find a hotspot app that works on a stock build. Enjoying Foxfi right now on ICS until I know it works on JB lol. I just need it for my new Galaxy note 10.1 while im at work

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I think my hand will be forced soon. I am now getting the install notification like every few minutes even though i say install later.....May have to just bite the bullet and hope for the best.

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...my FoxFi is blocked (running stock Jelly Bean). Says it failed - I have an unlimited plan (how, I do not know, since they were running the 2GB thing when I signed in 2010). Anywho, I did find in some research that there is a backdoor widget - enables native without subscription check. Play Store name: Portable WiFi Hotspot Widget.

Hope this helps. I feel your stock version pain. Made me wish I had pushed off JB and just kept ICS.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...my FoxFi is blocked (running stock Jelly Bean). Says it failed - I have an unlimited plan (how, I do not know, since they were running the 2GB thing when I signed in 2010). Anywho, I did find in some research that there is a backdoor widget - enables native without subscription check. Play Store name: Portable WiFi Hotspot Widget.

Hope this helps. I feel your stock version pain. Made me wish I had pushed off JB and just kept ICS.
Thanks! Tested on ICS and it works. Going to accept JB and pray it still does.......

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It didn't appear on any of my home screens nor in the apps/widgets drawer in JB.

Currently unlocked but unrooted following the OTA.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It works. You rock. Typing from note right now. Foxfire is dead but this portable wifi app does work on JB. Life can continue.
Oh and my 4G signal is exceptional now on JB so helping the wifi

Last edited:

LindaE626

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the JB update waiting for me. I am just afraid to lose my wifi tethering ability. I have also been using Foxfi. I have a GNex from Verizon. Can I get any more assurance before upgrading, or any other advice or instructions? I am not sure I understand about using the native setting. Thanks!

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was just as afraid. I'm stock GNEX vz and found that portable wifi app and it works on JB. I did the update and works like a charm with my Galaxy Note 10.1
You are safe upgrading. All you have to do is hit the icon on your phone and it turns on your builtin wifi.

dherres

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
If this is happening than im not going to update until im sure i can still use hotspot app. I use SVTP i wonder if anyone can still use SVTP after the JB uddate?
I upgraded to JB last week (albeit flashing the official VZW version that was also just released rather than upgrading OTA) and SVTP still works for me, too.

Parafly9

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Love you guys for this. I was so pissed... just got a Nexus 7, tried using Wireless Tether and realized it stopped working since my Gnex (Verizon) was on JB and setting up tether through the menu and using FoxFi also failed because of no subscription. This app (Fattin) worked flawlessly. Thanks!!!